Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxbaerhems

What is a garden...without birds.....

MaxBaerHems
16 years ago

I thought it might be fun to show a few images of some birds and butterflies...in the gardens (Daylily)..:) Hopefully some of you will include some birds and butterflies from your gardens too......

{{gwi:635375}}

{{gwi:635376}}

A Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Male)

Rick

Comments (18)

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Rick, nice shots! Your camera must have a great zoom lens.

Here are two bluebirds sitting on my fence. He tried so hard to convince her that THIS was the place for the nest. But she decided noooo...it wasn't quite right.
    {{gwi:635377}}

Instead of a butterfly, would you settle for a dragonfly?
    {{gwi:635378}}

Ok...who's next?
    Kathy

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Wow Kathy, that's an amazing dragonfly picture! And Rick, your hummers are so pretty. I just got a hummingbird feeder, so maybe I'll have some to photograph soon.

I have a few pictures - bees mostly. Let me see what I can find:

{{gwi:634758}}
    Bee on agastache

{{gwi:361822}}
    Butterfly on echinacea 'White Swan'

{{gwi:635379}}
    Butterfly on agastache 'Blue Fortune'

{{gwi:458694}}
    Bee on a potato flower

{{gwi:635380}}
    Bee in a daylily blossom, at my church

And, finally, A BIRD!

{{gwi:635381}}
    Wild turkey hen, in my neighbor's back yard, right behind us.

Laurel

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Laurel, nice bee pics! Did that turkey wind up in your oven???
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Great wildlife pics folks, love that extreme closeup of the dragaonfly...WOW...talk about clarity....that one's terrific!
    I have lots of "critter photos" taken over the past few years in my garden. Here's a link to my wildlife album if anyone wants to browse. There's lots of butterflies, birds, frogs, and some other varmints as well. :)
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: My Wildlife Album

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Wow, Kathy -- that pic is incredible! And the hummers are great, too. Must get a new camera . . .

• laurelin
    16 years ago

LOL Kathy, no, we didn't eat that one! My little daughter came into the computer room one day and said, "Mommy, there's a big bird outside." I asked her, "Is it a crow?" (Normally that's the largest bird we see in our neighborhood.) "NO, Mommy, it's a BIIIG bird!" Sure enough, it was!

Laurel

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Kathy, what type of camera do you use?

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Chris, it's a Canon Power Shot A620. I like it. But it has more features than I know how to use. Most of the time I leave it on auto.

Glad y'all like my dragonfly. I'm not sure if that one was nearly dead or waiting for a mate. It just perched there and let me get inches away with my camera. I kept taking pic after pic after pic, from all angles. Now if I could just get butterflies to pose for me like that!

Kathy

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I love seeing other peoples pictures and I'm very fond of hummers so sweet. The Blue bird is a beautiful blue.
    Here are some of mine
    {{gwi:635382}}

{{gwi:635385}}

My garden would not be the same without my lovely lizards
    this one is sunning on the soaker hose.
    Texas spiney lizard
    {{gwi:635387}}

Anole
    {{gwi:635389}}

What's a world without colorful dragonflies
    {{gwi:635391}}

{{gwi:635392}}

• laurelin
    16 years ago

mikeandbarb, I like your cute little lizards too! I really like your last picture, with the orange/black butterfly against the blue salvia (?) blossoms. VERY nice!

Laurel

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Another couple pictures, fresh this week:

{{gwi:635394}}

{{gwi:635396}}
    Guess who's been storing that seed bell little by little in his burrow? It hardly lasted a day.

Laurel

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Great pictures everyone, all I have is butterfly pics. The lizard pic is cool, when we go on vacation down south my kids always have fun trying to catch the lizards, but they are always too fast!
    {{gwi:635398}}
    {{gwi:635400}}
    -Jessica

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A beautiful bird...I sat and watched it take insects out of the air....it would take off from the top of this dead/rotting tree.....hoover in space....grab a flying insect...and return to this perch...this went on for over an hour....amazing bird to watch.....

{{gwi:635402}}

Rick

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Looks like a Cedar Waxwing, Rick. Is it? Lovely picture, BTW.
    Jan

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ROTFL......Yes Jan....it sure is.....I guess it would have been politically correct of me to mention it's name in the above post...LOL LOL Guess I was having another of my MANY blonde moments...hehehe

Rick

• janepa
    16 years ago

First, thanks Jan for your post on the Daylily Forum about new members. I took a peek and that led me to here. Today is my first visit. I still do not have a lot of free time, but this winter I will be here a lot.
    Thanks everyone for sharing your great photos.

Here is one of the birds that visit here, noisy but such pretty colors -
    {{gwi:635404}}

Another pair of wings of a different sort-
    {{gwi:635406}}

I feed the birds all year around although I am not as diligent in the summer because there is so much in the area they can feast on, but come winter the feeders are kept full.

Jane

PS:katlynnlily/Kathy - What camera do you use, and what lens did you use to take the photo of the dragonfly? Thanks.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Those are good photos Jane, glad you joined us on "this side" of the forum. :)
    Here's a few photos I've taken lately in my garden.
    This one was inspired by Kathy's great dragonfly photo.
    {{gwi:635407}}
    One of my many garden frogs that hang out in my ponds.
    {{gwi:635408}}
    A female rubythroated hummer. There are literally dozens of hummers eating from my feeders at the moment. Guess they're fueling up for their migration. :)
    {{gwi:635409}}
    Jan

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Hi Jane, It's a Canon Powershot A620 with 7.1 megapixels. I don't have any special lens. It does have a great macro feature that I used on the dragonfly. Loved your pics, especially of the Bluejay - very crisp against the white background.

Jan, What is your dragonfly doing? That's exactly how mine looked when I took all the pics...like it was asleep. The hummers are fighting over the feeders here, too. They are so much fun to watch, but hard to photograph. How did you get yours to perch so nice and still???
    Kathy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES