Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilylady_gw

Wierd situation...

daylilylady
17 years ago

Most of you have known me through postings for over a year. I can assure you that I'm not in any way superstitious...and I think all of you can tell by now that I am a well grounded person. I also wrote a month ago to say my elderly Cocker Spaniel had died on July 3rd. Yesterday, I was outside weeding my garden when something caught my eye mear my flower pots on the porch. I quickly turned to look at the porch with a quick sideways glance and had a flash thought of Pokey being there. I didn't think anything of it but the feeling came over me a couple of times where I turned to look at my porch but nothing was there. I kept gardening and forgot all about it. That is until this afternoon...my neighbor came over to show me her new dog she rescued from the Animal Welfare. We ooed and aaahed over her new dog for close to an hour. She was walking toward the driveway and called back to me. "By the way, over the weekend Gregory (her ten year old son) and I were driving by and Gregory said he thought he saw Pokey sitting on your porch, when did you say he passed away?" Well, I had shivers running up and down my spine and even now when I'm writing this I still feel a little creepy. My husband poopoo's the whole thing as a cooincidence but Pokey always thought it was his one duty in life to take care of us, maybe he still does....who knows???????

Marilyn

Comments (14)

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

What a wonderful thought, Marilyn. I bet that's exactly what he's doing right now.

• highjack
    17 years ago

Marilyn we both know once you are owned by a cocker, they never leave you.

Brooke

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

Hi Marilyn, that is a neat story. Makes you wonder if he's there watching over you. He must have been a wonderful and loved pet.

Maureen

• riverratspaz
    17 years ago

Not weird at all, Baby Girl passed a week ago, and every time im outside with the other two dogs, and their sitting quiet, i can hear her chain dinging in the background as if shes comin straight towards me.... but i dont find it creepy or strange, i find it kinda comforting, cause i know i, and buster and parker still wish she was here.... she was a great dog.

G

• daylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Chris, Maureen, Brooke and Gerard...it seems that stories like mine are very common, even about family members who pass on.
    Gerard, I'm so, so sorry to hear that your Baby Girl has passed on. It's nice that Buster and Parker still have each other to keep company. You've got alot on your plate right now...heading off to graduate school and now loosing your little dog. I'll keep good thoughts for you and hope to hear from you on the forum now and then. Take care.
    Marilyn

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Marilyn, I just read your story, and find it rather comforting also. I too, own a cocker, who was 6 last month. She loves to "help" me in my garden, and shadows my every step. She also guards my garden against intruders such as armadillos, etc. Her one goal in life is to catch one of the many lizards that inhabits my gardens. :) I hope that when she leaves us, her sweet spirit will stay close by, as your Pokey seems to have done. Thanks for sharing this with us all.
    Jan

• idaf
    17 years ago

Not weird at all, Marilyn. I believe every word of it. Three or four years ago, we had our 12 year old buff cocker put to sleep. He followed me every step I made in the garden, even after he got so sick. He used all the energy he had to creep around after me, and I knew he was suffering. I told him goodbye here and Damond took him to the Vet. When he returned, I had his grave dug and ready in the garden. We got through this, but never got over it.

Then last year, I was in the garden weeding, when I had this creepy feeling come over me. I turned around and a buff cocker spaniel was standing there looking at me. No words can explain how I felt. I dropped down on my knee, held out my hand and said, Sandy?? He only hesitated for a split second and came right to me.

Was it Sandy? Of course not. Sandy is gone, but I do believe his spirit is still here with me in the garden.We put an ad in the paper and this "Sandy" was claimed, which is as it should be, but I'll never forget that moment when I saw him standing there looking at me. Ida

• daylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, you've posted a couple of pics of you little Cocker on the forum and she is just so sweet. She's still young so she'll be following you around the daylilies for many years to come :)

Ida, unbelievable that the lost buff Cocker found it's way to you while you were in your garden. I know our beloved pets can never be replaced, but, did you end up getting another dog? We have Molly and she is having a hard time adjusting without her buddy. Our close friends have a Golden and are thinking about pups in the future...maybe we'll take one of Jenna's pups when the time comes.
    Marilyn

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Ida, I didn't realize you had owned a cocker too! Have you noticed how many dl lovers on this forum have or have had cockers? And so many are animal lovers too. This has been an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it Marilyn.
    Jan

• idaf
    17 years ago

Yes, we are animal lovers here. Have not done a survey, but it seems that most gardeners have dogs and/or cats. We've always had Irish Setters or Cockers. You have seen where we live, Jan, so you can understand why 12 years was a long time to keep a dog here between a busy truck route and a railroad.

To answer Marilyn's question, we did not even try to replace the last Cocker, but if we had been left with one, we probably would have in order to have a companion for the one that was left. Our daughter has dogs next door, so they go to the garden with us now.

We do have cats. Lots of them, actually. We have 5 calicos outside and one inside. They make sure we have no moles, voles or rats on the property. Have even been known to kill large snakes in the garden! Yeah, they catch a bird once in a while. That's just their nature. The birds have learned to co-exist with the cats by staying out of their reach! Ida

• daylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Ida, our dog Molly is a pretty good mouser. She came home with a rat the other day, must be the retriever side of her. At first, I thought it was a mole but then I saw the tail...no doubt about it!!!
    Marilyn

• numama
    17 years ago

Marilyn, A very heart warming story. How comforting to know your loved one is still following you around. I've had experiences like this with family members that have passed. My last experience was about 6 months after my mother passed, I awoke to laughter....hers! I had to get up, go to the living room to see for myself. Course all was quiet, but I couldn't help but say to my mom. once a jokester, always a jokester....I love you and went back to bed.
    Nancy

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

I owned a cocker for 11 years before we had to put him to sleep, we were devastated and never owned another dog but we have a spoiled rotten cat now. I wish just one more time I could see my beloved Dagwood, He was such a sweetheart. Count your blessings that he has visited you :)

Dot

• down2earth
    17 years ago

Once, late in the afternoon, I was working in my garden when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. I glanced up to see my beloved departed Yorkie walk across and then disappear in front of my eyes. I shared this episode with someone and was told that I had experienced a "phycotic episode". Send the men in the white coats!!! I have felt the presence of my Mother in the garden with me many, many times since she passed.