Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

Not many folks around lately.....

tweetypye
17 years ago

Most must be like me. I've been so busy adding compost to all my existing beds, reworking my seedling beds with new compost, transplanting seedlings that have outgrown their starter pots, laying new pine straw mulch, and generally cleaning up my garden, that I haven't had much pc time, myself. So, what's everyone else been up too?

Anyone winning any nice dl's on the LA? Nancy and I both missed out on Jazzy Graphics tonight. I had to go to the local football game with my daughter, and the auction for it was over when I returned. Game went into double overtime!!

Nancy didn't bid, cause she thought I had it, and besides, she was too busy showing off her new grandson's photo!!

What's happening with all you other dl addicts out there?

Jan

Comments (10)

• highjack
    17 years ago

I'm busy too Jan with the same things plus getting the building set up for winter growing under lights. It appears fall is coming early and I'm going to have to bring the tender things inside by Monday because we are to have several nights in the 40's - brrrrr, not quite ready for this.

We are also redoing one bed and the weather is not cooperating with us. We have had several days of clouds, heavy fog, misty rain etc. The railroad ties are on property, the pine bark/compost is sitting on the wagon ready to be added but the digging hasn't started yet. Hopefully today the prep work will get done and tomorrow we can dig the clumps up and get them right back in the ground. We aren't dividing anything just digging and putting back. The weather is "supposed" to be great - the only problem - it is football Saturday and hubby quits at noon!

Come winter, I will bore all of you with tons of pics!

Brooke

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I've been trying to think of HOW I can fit in another raised bed. The driveway turnaround is still a prime spot, as long as I leave a margin for the snow to pile up in the winter. Fall cleanup came to a halt with the rain over the past few days. I hope it dries off for a day or two so I can whittle away at the clean-up chores.

I've puttered around on the LA. Is anyone here Mrath2? If so, we're interested in the same things. C'est la vie! I don't NEED a bunch of new things, but if I can snag a good deal by the end of the month, I'll take a chance. I did get a nice seedling a few weeks ago - I hope it lives up to its LA picture:

{{gwi:635490}}

Laurel

• shellyga
    17 years ago

After my battle with the weeds last weekend I have been about too sore to do anything.. discovered a spider bite on my calf but although not a pretty site.. not a brown recluse..so I am thankful.
    I have been getting some seedlings transplanted and bidding on some bargains the Jr. Gardeners picked out. A bunch of fourth and fifth graders sure can shop..lol We spent Monday and Tuesday afterschool working on a couple of new beds on the school grounds and they are anxious to plant. We are heading to the local Depot on Tuesday to get some other plants.. anyone wanna come along??
    I am still enjoying the garden although I don't have anything blooming.. Fall is a favorite time of the year and I enjoy getting everything ready for the winter nap - cleaning out beds -- seeing which plant has done well and maybe not so well.. planting a few straggling orders..and planning new beds... now in a few months.. when it is dreary outside and no daylily depression sets in -- it will be a different story all together..
    Can't wait for Nancy to send some more pictures.. her grandson is a handsome boy... : )
    Shelly

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Cleaning , resetting and working in the h Manure...That's about all. From daylight til dark and have no energy left... So when it gets to cold to work outside, then we will all be on here looking for doody pants...Ellie

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Hi y'all-
    Like the rest of you, I've also been busy with garden chores...planting seedlings, enlarging beds, adding manure and mulch, etc.

And I've been trying to throw away unwanted plants. I look around my yard and wonder - where did I get all this junk? These are mostly cuttings I started in pots and haven't used. And I don't want to be bothered with them over the winter. Unfortunately, I have made little progress in reducing the clutter. I blame this entirely on the butterflies. They love to nectar at the lantana this time of year and I am constantly stopping my work to run in the house for the camera. I enjoy it, but all of a sudden I check my watch and realize that 2 hours have gone by and I haven't accomplished a thing.

I'm looking forward to some cooler weather. It's still hot here, but...it feels different. It's not as humid and the days are shorter and you can feel Fall coming. In 3 or 4 weeks, our weather should be perfect. October is my favorite month. I love Halloween and carnivals and caramel apples and red leaves against crip blue skies!
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's what I figured! Everyone's as busy as the squirrels, getting ready for winter.
    Brook, I too, have been digging dl clumps and adding compost to my beds, but not dividing since I've decided not to do any trading this fall. Just got too much else to do.

Laurel, that seedling is gorgeous. I think you did good. I have to admit, I have been spending some time on the LA also, adding more to my collection, as if I needed any more!

Like Kathy and Shelly, I too love fall, when the weather starts to cool off, and the leaves start to turn to beautiful colors, but, I'm not looking forward to winter. I hate being house bound! Thank goodness that God so fit to plop me down in the south so we don't get too many days of being house bound. LOL
    I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's photos this winter to beat the dl blues!

Ellie, you know, I moved seedlings this spring, and if "Doodie Pants" bloomed, I missed it! Maybe it improved so much, I just didn't reconize it! :)
    Ya'll all have a terrific fall.
    Jan

• numama
    17 years ago

Well, looks like Jan will be the one looking for that DOODY PANTS! I chuckle about it as I sit here writing!
    I SHOULD BE DOING what Jan and you others are, but my buying has picked up lately, I have SO MANY new arrivals yet to come this upcoming week and A NEW GRANDSON! I figure I still have a good couple months working outside to get everything ready for winter, so here's hoping!
    I LOVE working outside during the FALL, my FAVORITE season of the year, of course followed by SPRING!
    Take care everyone!
    Nancy

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Put me in the "should be doing" group! Need to do all that getting ready for fall stuff, but, as of yet, haven't started...gotta get to it, maybe this week...inspired by you all!

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

I can't seem to get anything constructive done. That may be because it rains almost every weekend. I need to be pruning blackberries, dividing daylilies, and killing a bunch of grass between my rows. This fall and winter I'd like to get fabric mat between those rows and top it off with mulch and spread mulch around everything that will hold still long enough to cover. Since it's free from our local dump I can haul as much as I want. Now we'll see where my good intentions get me...

Janet

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I feel for you Janet. I remember when I had "only weekends" to work in my garden. I'm telling you, it wasn't in nearly as good shape then as it is now, since I don't work an outside job anymore. I spend all the time I can in my garden, but now that my baby has turned 13, her extra curricular activites keeps me on the road way more than I'd like to be!! :) I still find the time to devote myself to my gardens almost daily, however!
    Fall shipments of dl's have begun arriving, so I've been planting them, as well as digging and dividing existing clumps. Still transplanting this years crop of seedlings too. Got a few more flats left to do.
    Also, cleaning out and redoing a large existing bed in my front garden. It's been years since it was planted, so you can imagine how over grown everything was. I'm taking out lots of "junk" and making room for, what else, daylilies!!
    We've had some good rains the past few weeks, finally, so my dl's are looking wonderful again. So green, and healthy instead of wilted and dry as they were during our long dry summer. Well, I'm off to the garden again.
    Happy Fall Ya'll,
    Jan