Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Brooke - Orchid Questions?

katlynn719
16 years ago

Hi Brooke, I received my first orchid in May of this year (Mother's Day gift from my son). It had 4 blooms and has been flowering all this time. I'm impressed! But finally the blooms have started to wilt and fall off. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

First here is a pic of the orchid. I have looked at pics online and think it is a moth orchid, Phalaenopsis. Correct?

{{gwi:635661}}

I was going to ask you for advice on how to get it to rebloom. But I've been noticing a bump on the end of the spike and I've decided this is a new flower bud. Correct? So, should I leave it alone and let it do its own thing? I read conflicting information about feeding orchids while they are in bloom. So, I have not fertilized it at all. Since it is trying to rebloom, do you think I should give it something now? I'm thinking it could probably use a little boost. If so, what do you use? I have Peter's and could mix up a weak solution. Or should I buy something special for orchids?

{{gwi:635663}}

There are a couple of green shoots coming from the bottom (one on each side of the plant). Are these new leaves? Or could they be new plants? Should I repot and seperate them from the mother plant? It looks to me like it is planted in bark chips. When I repot, I was going to look for a similar mix for orchids. Do you have a brand recommendation?

{{gwi:635667}}

The pot it came in is clear plastic (6 x 4) that sits in a larger, black, plastic pot. I take it out of the black pot, sit it in my kitchen sink, water it, let it drain for about 20 minutes, and then sit it back in the black pot. When I repot it, I was going to put it in a clay pot. But now I'm thinking that maybe orchids prefer plastic. Which do you use for your orchids (clay, plastic, ceramic)? As you can see, I have not removed the dead flowers. I have been letting them fall off on their own. Bud since I have a new bud, do you think I should cut the wilted flowers off? Does this one look like it needs repotting to you? Usually, if a plant looks happy, I leave it alone. But I know nothing about orchids and would welcome your advice.

{{gwi:635669}}

Kathy

Comments (22)

• highjack
    16 years ago

Congrats Kathy, you are growing new roots (3rd pic) and you have new buds forming. You must be doing it right.

Feel free to snip the spent blooms off, won't hurt a thing. Leave the spike until it finally quits blooming and starts turning brown. Then cut it off above the first node at the base of the plant. Depending on the genetics involved, this plant might bloom for years off this spike plus initiate new spikes.

If the bark that is visiable through the sides of the pot is still big chunks and not broken down and mushy, you don't need to repot it yet. When you do repot, you can get a regular orchid mix at a big box store. When you repot, cut away any mushy roots, leave all firm roots. Clay pots are great because of the evaporation or you can repot into the clear plastic or get a ceramic orchid pot which will have holes around the sides so air can go to the roots. Your choice, whatever you are comfortable tending. Try to get as shallow a pot as you can find. More orchids are killed because the inside of the mix stays wet and rots roots. Azalea or bulb pots are great for orchids. Remember, in the wild they grow on trees with lots of air to the roots.

Reblooming - phals need a temperature swing to initiate spikes of at least 15 degrees, 20 is fine, between daytime and nighttime. How many leaves has your plant grown since you've had it? This also plays a part of the spiking ability. What kind of light is your plant receiving. Phals love morning sun and then bright or dappled shade the rest of the day. They can also use late day sun with the bright and dappled during the morning. They cannot take hot sun - say between 10 and 4. It will burn the leaves. I'm sure you are growing this inside and if by a window, it must be fairly close to benefit from the light. A window even 4' away while it appears bright to you, will not be of any benefit to the plant. New roots usually mean new leaves - give it enough light and temp swings and you will get new spikes.

Dtps. Kenneth Schubert 'Blue Star' {{gwi:635672}}

P. violaces v. alba {{gwi:145337}}

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhhh..roots! I never would've guessed because of the green color. The bark looks fine to me, so I'm not going to repot yet. You didn't mention fertilizer, but I feel pretty sure that it needs some. I'm going to look for special orchid fertilizer the next time I'm at the store. It has only grown one new leaf since I've had it. Poor thing is probably starving.

The 15 degree temp change is a problem. That doesn't happen inside my house. So I will put this phal outside when I put my Christmas cactus out at the end of this month. I leave the Christmas cactus outside 6-8 weeks... until I see buds. The rest of the year it stays indoors. But I will have to sit the orchid in a clay pot so it won't blow over.

BTW, I am trying out yet another free server - Picasa. And I think it will let me post thumbnails. Here is my first attempt -
    {{gwi:635675}}

Your pics are lovely. Are those both phals? I told my son that I love my orchid and that it made an excellent gift anytime of the year. I hope he got the hint. If not, I may have to hint a little harder closer to Christmas.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Brooke. You are a valuable gardening resource...and your price is right, too!
    ;-)

Kathy

• highjack
    16 years ago

It is my pleasure to serve the masses - LOL!

You can get an orchid fertilizer but make sure it does not contain nitrogen in urea form. I use 1/4 strength each time I water.

When you put the orchid out make sure night time temps don't go below 50 - won't hurt the 'chid but won't help the spike to emerge. It only needs two to three weeks of the cool down and then it can come back inside.

Yes, those are both phals. Here are a couple more - P. Princess Kaiulani {{gwi:142833}}

This one is P. luddemaniana - the queen of keikei. This has the mother plant plus three keikeis which are also blooming.

{{gwi:143420}}

Aren't thumbnails the coolest. People on dial up won't be slowed down by big images.

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fertilize 1/4 strength each time I water. Got it. See? I knew it needed some food! It just didn't make sense to stop fertilizing for months and months and months.

One more question Brooke and I promise to stop pestering you. Where do you buy your orchids? Have you ever bought them online?

Thanks again for the pics. Now I know that I definitely need to add a few more...just a few, for variety's sake.
    Kathy

• highjack
    16 years ago

Oh oh - I see another addiction starting. Orchids are great because you can't garden outside all the time.

We buy almost all of our orchids online. The only place in Lexington to buy an orchid is my grocery and Lowes and all of those were rescue $5 'chids which I didn't even know the color. We do manage to get to a few shows within 100 miles of us and also get some via the orchid club. My husband has also made a couple of trips to SC to pick up some orchids from someone down there. We discovered him via daylily people!

What type are you interested in? More phals or do you want to branch out into other types? If you can only grow inside, then I can suggest some lower light plants and steer you away from high light plants. Even low light plants like a summer vacation outside in morning light.

A low light plant - Paph. Annabelle Chen {{gwi:207068}} Paph. Brecko Wishmist {{gwi:635680}}

A high light plant - Catt. Krull's Lemonade {{gwi:635682}} Epidendrum epi ilense {{gwi:207067}}

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No. Seriously. This isn't going to be another addiction. I was thinking I'd buy one more. And if my son buys another that would be enough. Three different colors would be enough to make me happy.

I have read that phals are the easiest orchids to grow in the house. True? If so, I think I'd better stick to phals. Of course, the pic I like the best is Catt. Krulls Lemonade. But I don't have a greenhouse, so let's not go there. Stop tempting me, Brooke.

I have a lot of light in my house. Of course I could put them outside for most of the year. I have lots of oak trees that would provide shade. But I only put my houseplants outdoors if I absolutely must (to force blooms for instance). Two reasons - 1. I'm lazy. and 2. The bugs. It's bad enough having to swat them when I'm outdoors. I don't want them buzzing around me while I watch TV.

I have seen quite a few orchids at Home Depot. Are there specific problem signs that a newbie like myself needs to watch out for when making a purchase? Should I check under the leaves or something? So far, I've been able to resist, but the ones at Home Depot seem healthy. The truth is...I've been waiting for the one I have to die. I've always thought that orchids were hard to grow. But this one isn't. And it gave me flowers for over 3 months! So, I really think I need 1 or 2 more.

So where should I shop? I'm on my way to Lowes for orchid fertilizer and other stuff. As long as I'm there, I might as well take a look at the orchids...don't you think?

Kathy

• highjack
    16 years ago

Yes phals are one of the easiet orchids for house growing without a light set up.

When selecting a plant, hopefully it will be potted in the clear pot so you can take a look at the roots. If alive and green - that is good. Make sure the leaves are firm to the touch, not floppy or wrinkled. Floppy and wrinkled is usually a root problem and they can't take up enough moisture.

Soooooo, did you buy something yesterday? And no, it won't be an addiction :) (snicker snicker)

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let's see...I bought some dragonfly clips, some Better-Gro Orchid Plus food (with no urea), and some Peter's plant food. And ummmmm,,,one orchid. The one I bought is a ground orchid, so it doesn't count as one of the "three". I planted it outside. And the phals are going to be potted house plants. Lowes did have a few phals for sale, but they didn't look very healthy. And since I'm only going to grow 3, I decided I'd wait until I find one I really like.

Do you grow any of the ground orchids? I've been reading about them online. I think the one I bought is a Philippine ground orchid (Spathoglottis plicata). Here's a pic -

{{gwi:635685}}

{{gwi:635686}}

I hope it will survive our winters. I think it will be ok if I throw an old sheet over it when we're expecting a freeze. But I decided to keep a small part of it in a pot and bring it indoors on the coldest nights - just for one year while I test it out. But it still doesn't count as one of my three.

Oh! While reading about ground orchids I came across Nun's Cap Orchids (Phaius tankervilliae) and decided I definitely need one of these - they're beautiful. I've seen them at my favorite local nursery when they were in bloom. But I didn't buy one because it was an "orchid". Since orchids are no longer scary, maybe I'd better count a Nun's Cap Orchid as one of my three and only buy one more phal. *sigh* It's hopeless, isn't it? Resistance is futile.

Kathy

• highjack
    16 years ago

snicker, snicker, snort

If you plant it outside in terra firma, it doesn't count as an orchid. Orchids grow in pots or mounts and can be carried inside when it is cold. Now you need to look into the hardy slipper orchids which grow all over the USA. They won't count as an orchid either unless it is a true, keep it in a pot, paph orchid.

Eventually you will run into another orchid that will follow you home but the ones you bought don't count against the three you intend to keep.

Brooke - still giggling!

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brooke, I've been reading about slipper orchids and I've decided I could use several. Three is a nice prime number, don't you think? But they are pricey little boogers, aren't they? Still, you never know what I might find when I plunder a bargain table. Funny thing...I haven't looked at a single daylily sale in the last few weeks. I spend all my time online reading about orchids. Fascinating plants. This will not turn into another plant obsession. I have tremendous will power. I will stop at 3...

of each.
    Kathy

• highjack
    16 years ago

Are you my long lost sister Kathy? We are kindred spirits.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

You guys are a hoot....been reading your posts and having a good laugh! My dear Kathy, I'm afraid you're hooked on yet another plant addiction!!! LOL And Brooke...talk about an enabler....:)
    Thanks for the smiles this morning.
    Jan

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think Jan needs an orchid...really, really, bad.

Come here little girl, yesssss, that's right...just a little closer....have a piece of this orchid...you're gonna LOVE it!
    *insane cackle*

• highjack
    16 years ago

See, we are sisters except you cackle while I snicker and snort.

Jan's outside gardens are soooo gorgeous she needs something blooming inside too. It does get dark and she can't be outside all night too, so get an orchid to fill the void.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Oh no!!!!! I do have an inside plant addiction already...African Violets...no room for orchids in my growing window!!!!! I have 14 different AV's. The orchids are pretty, but I'm not getting pulled into that!!! I'll leave the orchid growing to you two. LOL
    Actually, I've got so many house plants now that when I bring them all in from the porch my house resembles a jungle!
    Hey, a gardener has to have something to do in the winter...right?
    Jan

• highjack
    16 years ago

Oh Jan, phals and paphs go great with AV's. I'm getting my best friend hooked now. She was over last week-end to go through the greenhouse and found several she really liked. She gives me a weekly report on the paph I gave her last year and keeps checking daily for a spike on it. The end of Oct. she is going to an orchid show with me because the hubby is going to a daylily function. I'll take bets on the number that follow her home.

Move the AV's closer together or get a shelving unit in front of that beautiful window - yes, you have room.

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I bought #2 ground orchid today - a Nun's Orchid - 4 plants in one pot (2 large, 2 small), all for $9.99. I thought it was a bargain. It's not blooming now, but I've seen them when they do and I loved it.
    {{gwi:635688}}

I've decided this one counts, since it didn't follow me home. I went after it. So that means I can only buy 1 more ground orchid and 2 more phals.

Jan, Jan, Jan...don't make me go through this all by myself! Brooke is going to get mighty tired of all my newbie excitement. Just take a look at this Nun's Orchid in bloom on Dave's Garden (link below). Are you SURE you don't want one of these? Just think how pretty it would look on your front porch.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Nun's Orchid

• highjack
    16 years ago

Very pretty Kathy. I wish I could grow those in the ground and not in a pot. The only orchid I can grow in the garden are cypridiums (hope I spelled that correct) but I really don't have the type soil they like and would have to create a really rich loamy area. They want moisture but drainage. A blooming size cyp is expensive and seedlings take forever to bloom. I think I'll just stick with the cousins, paphs and phrags, and grow those inside.

Come on Jan, you know you wanna! It's a green growing plant with spectacular bloom.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Nope girls, I will not be tempted....LOL
    Kathy that is a beauty, but wouldn't survive outside here, and I have no more room for plants indoors. Now, if I ever get that greenhouse I've asked for, then.....maybe I could have an orchid or two. :)
    Jan

• highjack
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhhhh! a greenhouse is even better!

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I agree...Jan definitely needs a greenhouse! I could ship you things in the fall and you could store it for me all winter and then mail it back to me in the spring. LOL!
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

You're correct..I do need a greenhouse...but not for orchids, for all my other house plants and for dl seedlings!!
    Kathy, you're funny....LOL
    Jan

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio