Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daylilydayzed

Asking for Prayers

daylilydayzed
19 years ago

I am asking you all for prayers for my husband who was injured on the job today. He received electrical burns to his hands when the motor he was working on flashed. The burns are 3rd degree on his hands, palms and fingers. He is currently in the Tampa General Hospital Burn Unit. he will need skin grafts when the hands have healed enough to allow it. Please pray that he has a positive outcome for this.

Comments (37)

• dennisjmccoy
    19 years ago

You have my prayers right now.

• jackarias
    19 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. I will remember him in my prayers.

• psittacine
    19 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that, Dawn! Electrical/flash burns are intensely painful - I hope they were able to make him comfortable. My prayers will include both you and your husband.

Crystal

• Video_Garden
    19 years ago

I'm not religious, but just the same, I hope & wish your husband gets well very soon without any long term injuries or scars. Wishing you and your family the very best as well...

• deafblossom
    19 years ago

I will be thinking of you in my prayer for you and your husband. Please keep posted with us about him. Kat

• jord729
    19 years ago

Please let your Hubby know we're thinking of him and praying for a speedy recovery.

• PIGEONBOB
    19 years ago

This is a request that I will be glad to answer. You and your husband are being prayed for. My young neighbor burned the front and back of his hands badly several years ago. He had skin grafts and today you would never know he had any damage. The process is very successful, although the recovery slow.

• lilyfantn
    19 years ago

I'm so sorry daylily dazed - you are in my prayers and thoughts.

• gmatx zone 6
    19 years ago

Dawn,

Our prayers and thoughts are with both you and your husband. I'm so sorry that this has been such a rough year for you.

Mary

• rlhanks
    19 years ago

My wife, daughter and myself send out the prayers you need. I too am an electrician and know the dangers that we face everyday. Good luck to you and your husband.

• SueBB
    19 years ago

Your husband will by in our prayers. My husband burned all the skin off his hand in an engine fire a couple years ago and after the hospital treatments (which were awful painful) we got him home and cut strips of the plant 'aloe' and layed it on all surfaces and put gauze on it to hold it on and it stopped the pain and after a few days and nights, maybe a week or so, it was almost healed, we changed the aloe and gauze morning and night. It took a long time to get over being tender but like new now. his flesh didnt stick to the aloe so it was wonderful.

• Tim_Sullivan
    19 years ago

We're praying here.
    Tim

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update
    Today he had some swelling in his left arm but is in good spirits otherwise. He said the debriding is the worst pain he has. A PT person came in and worked on his hands for a few minutes strectching them and making sure he could still bend his fingers. He has a little bit of difficulty in touching his pinky finger with his thumb but that was like that before he burned his hands. He has big hands. When he finished , a OT person came and worked with my hubsband . She worked with him to get him up on his feet and walking a short distance down the hallway.He will be in the hospital till Mon the 4th and then they will make a determination then to see if he needs surgery. I will not be able to go over tommorrow until my son gets off work and comes home because he will have my car.

• phaltyme21
    19 years ago

I am asking my Higher Power to give help and comfort to you and your husband. Hold the good thoughts.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

Want you to know you're still being held in our thoughts and hearts. Let us know about the progress when you've time. PT and OT are a blessing along with the medical care.

Nell

• lynnsherbs
    19 years ago

I'm praying for you also,

Lynn

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Last night my husband was having some chest pain so they did and EKG test on him and drew some blood after some difficutly finding a vein due to the swelling in his arms and legs. The test showed that there was NOTHING WRONG with his heart. The blood test results had not come before I left so I don't know what it may have showed. I think his chest pain may have been heartburn or a gas pain. I think his left hand may not be as severely burned as his right hand because I saw pink finger tips on the left hand but the right hand fingertips are still dark in color. I am going over to see him later this afternoon after I get off my crossing duty.

• ladyrosa
    19 years ago

My family and I are praying for your husband's complete recovery. I was in an accident May of 2003 and my legs swoll and turned black, from my mid calfs to my feet. The injury was to my hips,back and neck. The doctor said the swelling was due to trauma. Your husband's swelling could be from the same thing. I pray for a speedy recovery. My husband is an electrical engineer and starts up power plants, so he faces damgers of this type also. God Bless.
    Lorane

• daylily_tsmith
    19 years ago

I am praying for your husband's complete recovery.
    May God grant you His peace and comfort at this time.
    Sincerely, T. Smith

• janroze
    19 years ago

Dear DLD,
    We are holding you and your DH up for God's care. May you sense God's loving presence and the strength and courage given you. We pray for stamina and a smooth and swift recovery. Know that you do not walk alone. Please let us know how you and yours are doing.
    God's blessings be upon both of you,
    jan

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update
    My husband told me last that he may becoming home today. It seems the hospital doesn't keep burn patients till the burns are completely healed since research had shown that patients tended to heal faster if they were in familiar surroundings. He also said that the DR. had said that no surgery was needed. So thank you all for your prayers, it appears they worked!

• gmatx zone 6
    19 years ago

This is great news to hear. You and your husband will remain in our prayers for his continued recovery. Keep us posted.

Mary

• psittacine
    19 years ago

Was so glad to read your update tonight! I'm praying his health continues on the fast track.

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update,
    Hubby is home now and has had his first nurse visit this morning. Everything went OK and seems to be healing fine. I saw the areas that had been burn and it seems to look like raw meat but they tell me that is a good sign for a burn patient. What they don't want to see is a lot of smelly drainage on the bandage when they change them. If the smelly darinage is there it means an infection has started. I want to thank all of you for your prayers. They were greatly appreciated.

• janroze
    19 years ago

Dear DLD, Just checked your thread again. I am glad to learn how well your DH is doing. I have worked as an RN on a burn unit and I know the outcome isn't always that good. I am thrilled that he won't need surgery - a very good sign. I will continue to pray for the two of you until his recovery is complete, so please keep us posted.
    jan

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

As of today, the burns on my hubby's left forearm, the two thumbs and left pinky have healed to the point of not needing bandages, but need a moisturizing cream on them. The wounds on the back of the hands are healing also but they were larger than the burns on those areas that have healed.The burn on the stomach will take the longest to heal I think. He will have to have some occupational therapy since he still can not make a fist with his hand.
    At his follow up appointment on Mon the nurse says he can extend the time internval for his pain medicine from 4 hours to 6 hours to start weaning him off it before he becomes addicted to it.

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Today my hubby had an appointment at the rehab center and the nurse said that his hands have healed enough that they no longer need bandages on them but will need the moisturizing cream put on them before he puts on the pressure applying gloves that they gave him. They are having some gloves specially made for him to wear but the ones he has now are temporary until they are ready in three weeks. The stomach wound is healing also but is still draining a little less every day. I can see the new skin growing in around the edges of the burned area.

• mrsgardener
    19 years ago

So Good to hear that your husband's recovery is progressing. Prayers for him! How are you, my friend?-- I bet you are very tired in mind as well as body.-- Please continue to let us know about his progress.--- Donna

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yesterday the doctor at the Rehab center said that the last wond to heal, the belly wound does not need to be bandaged any more and HE COULD GO BACK TO WORK!!! It has been 40 days since he was burned and the rate of healing was so fast that even the doctors were surprised at it. It can only mean that prayers were working on him to be healed. You all do not know how much it meant to us to know that prayers were being said on his behalf. I want to thnak all of you for them, they were gratly appreciated by him.

• deafblossom
    19 years ago

WOW.. It has been 40 days already! The times went flies so fast. I have been thinking about you and your hubby. I glad to know that he is doing very well! kat

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update on Hubby's burns
    My hubby's burns are all healed and he is still wearing the pressure gloves . The new skin is still very tender so the gloves also act as a cushion against bumps to his hands. The Dr over at the Rehab center at Tampa General Hospital said at his last visit that he was the only one that day that had moist hands under the gloves. The weather then was a little bit chilly with the temps in the low 50's all day and in the low 40's at night. He goes back to see the Rehab dr later this month and hope fully she will let him resume full duty at work.

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update
    Yesterday my hubby went back to the Rehab Center at the Burn Clinic at Tampa General Hospital. The Dr said that she is very pleased at how well his hands look due to the body butter we are using. She also said that he must wear regular gloves over his pressure gloves when he is outside at all times. The reason for this is to block the UV rays from burning the new skin that has formed. Also it makes his hands feel as if they are on fire again. She also released him to go back on normal duties at work! that was good news indeed for us!!! I want to thank all of you for your prayers . It is proof that prayer works.

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is an update on my husband. It has been several months since the last update and the wounds are looking much better each day.His right hand is looking so good with the new skin gradually turning a lighter color than the purple look it was right after it healed. The left hand still has some purple looking areas on it that are taking longer to turn color. He goes back to the Burn clinic for a checkup in July and I will be going with him. His last visit was at the same time as my crossing duty so I couldn't go with him then.

• vegangirl
    18 years ago

Glad he's doing so much better. Prayer does work:-)

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Another Update
    My husband will find out in a few weeks if he will need to have surgery on his hands. The surgeon will determine if he needs a skin graft but we do not think he will. The surgery is really for a tendon that will not stretch to allow him to close his hand very tightly into a fist. My hubby can make a fist but it is not a tight one but he says he doesn't need the surgery. He takes off the pressure gloves at times to give his hands a break so air can get to the new skin. The back of his hands look really good considering that the burns were 3rd degree. The attending doctor in the Burn Clinic at his last visit said his hands look so good that he may not have to wear the gloves much longer.

• irish_rose_grower
    18 years ago

That is great news about your husbands progress. I hope he continues to heal so well.

Prayers to you :-)

Maureen

• daylilydayzed
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My hubby does not need to have any skin grafts and does not have to wear the pressure gloves any longer. The burn suregeon said every thing looks fine and he considered my hubby completely healed! The skin on the back of the hands is still a little tender and he will continue to wear gloves while at work to protect it until it toughens up.
    Thank you all for your prayers, I know it made the difference in the rate of healing.