Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Fall Flowers

katlynn719
16 years ago

Fall has always been my favorite time of year, and I wanted to share some of the blooms I've been enjoying. My Toad Lilies have been blooming for several weeks. The flowers are rather small, but they are so unusual they always make me stop to take a second look. They are planted along a shady path.

Toad Lily (Tricyrtis hirta)

{{gwi:636138}}

The Hurricane Lilies have just finished blooming and are starting to grow their leaves now. They are truly a care-free bulb, but have not multiplied as fast as I would like. So I decided to buy a few more this year.

Hurricane Lily (Lycoris radiata)

{{gwi:636139}}

I grew a Candelabra Bush from seed this year. My Mom's beautician sent the seed to me with the instructions "plant in spring, you'll love it". Since I didn't know anything about the plant, I stuck it back behind a group of palmetto bushes and under some oaks. Despite these poor conditions, it grew over 7 feet tall and put out flowers for several months. I'm waiting for the seed pods to dry so that I can plant more seed next spring in a prime garden location (never doubt your Mom's beautician).

Candelabra Bush (Senna alata)

{{gwi:636140}}

The Christmas Cassia is just starting to bloom. It is related to the Candelabra bush. The flowers are very bright and it blooms for several months. Here is a picture taken last year.

Christmas Cassia (Senna pendula)

{{gwi:636141}}

My Butterfly Ginger is still blooming. I think they smell like gardenias and they attract sphinx moths by the dozens. I like to watch them feed at dusk... as long as they don't fly to close to me. Although I find them fascinating, they freak me out a little...very strange creatures.

Butterfly Ginger (Hedychium coronarium)

{{gwi:636142}}

Pink Spotted Hawkmoth

{{gwi:636144}}

Another fall favorite is my Confederate Rose bush. When the flowers first open, they are white. But they gradually turn pink and finally become a dark rose color. I check on them several times a day....just to watch the change. This was another gift from my Mom's beautician. Since my Mom isn't able to garden, the beauty shop ladies send me all their pass along plants. They have become my best plant resource...I never know what to expect, but it's always pretty and easy to grow. I'll try to remember to post another pic of the whole bush when it is in full bloom.

Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis)

{{gwi:636146}}

I'm always on the look-out for more fall bloomers. If you have any that you can recommend, please post!

Kathy

Comments (15)

• highjack
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

All your blooms are gorgeous but a WOW to the Candlelabra Bush. Is that hardy for you or do you have to plant the seeds each year? Does it grow in shade? Any spare seeds??????

No blooms here except the Toad Lily and it has been too cool and RAINY to see it. It may not have blooms when it quits raining but I don't care, I have moisture in the ground. My rain gauge says I only got 3 3/4" but it was a nice rain and should soak in.

Brooke

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brooke, There are about 50 pods on the candelabra bush and assuming there are 10 seeds to a pod...well, you get the idea... I would be glad to share! I was told to let them dry on the bush until they rattle. They are still green, but I will email you after I've begun harvesting them. I don't know if it's hardy here, but I'll bet it will come back from the roots. We'll see. This one was planted in filtered shade. But by the time it grew to about 4 ft., it was tall enough to start leaning over the palmetto bushes. It has reached waaaay out for the sun and has become rather contorted. I think if it was planted in full sun it would have grown straight, had more blooms and been several feet taller. But I'll send you enough seed so that you can experiment. If I forget, send me a reminder before next spring. It grows so fast, it was fun to watch....great for impatient gardeners (like myself) and kids (like you).
    :-)
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Just beautiful Kathy....I enjoyed my walk through your fall garden very much. I've got a flowering senna that was given to me in the spring but it hasn't bloomed this year. Hopefully it will bloom next fall. My conferderate rose is also beginning to bloom. Don't you just love them? Do you know the hardiness zones for the Candelabra Bush? It's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your flowers.
    Jan

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jan, Glad you enjoyed the pics. I've read conflicting info about the hardiness of the Candelabra Bush. Some say zones 8-11 ... others say 9-11. I plant to treat it as an annual and make sure I collect some seed each year. If you'd like to give it a try, let me know. And yes, I do love the Confederate Rose. Sometimes I float 3 or 4 blooms in a shallow bowl of water on my kitchen table. They change color even inside the house. A neighbor of mine has a gigantic specimen growing in her front yard. It is taller than her house and about 12 ft wide. I asked her what her secret was and she said it is growing on top of their septic tank. LOL! Seriously, it probably does help fertilize it. Her flowers open pink...and only get a little darker late in the day. It's very pretty, but I think my white one is more fun to watch.
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Thanks Kathy, I would love to try growing one. Like I said, I do have another type senna and it's hardy in my zone so maybe that one will be also, if not.....since they grow so fast....I could just save the seed and replant every year.
    Jan

• highjack
    16 years ago

Thanks Kathy I would love some (she said after begging). It is something different I can start in the G/H over winter and have it ready to go this spring. I have a full sun and part sun area to give them a try. It sure does make a statement in the garden.

Brooke

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Kathy, Does the candelabra bush get fuller if placed in full sun ? I got to get me some too, it is so different looking and I love odd plants. If you have any extra seeds let me know and I will send you a check for the mailing of the seeds.
    Jill

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jill, I should have plenty of seeds to share (no check necessary - I have plenty of stamps and envelopes). I checked the pods today and they look fine, but are still green. I don't know how long it will take for them to dry. But as soon as they are ready, I will send you an email. I do think the candelabra would have done better in full sun (taller, fuller, more flowers, etc). But since this is the first year I've grown this plant, I'm certainly no expert. Hopefully, this time next year we can all compare notes!
    Kathy

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Kathy, Thank you in advance.
    Jill

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Kathy, your gardens are lovely. I have toad lilies too, but the rotten woodchuck made a meal of them, and I'll be lucky to get any bloom at all. RATS! They are so pretty in the fall. Here they are last year:
    {{gwi:631501}}

My fall garden has mostly pink/blue colors in bloom. This is a hardy mum, 'Emperor of China':
    {{gwi:198332}}

And of course, the later asters:
    {{gwi:636150}}
    'Wonder of Staffa'
    {{gwi:636104}}
    'Raydon's Favorite'

I've also got a few late blooming roses, 'Othello' and 'Betty Prior.' Othello is a real monster with ugly thorns, but THOSE BLOOMS, THAT FRAGRANCE, make it worth growing.

Laurel

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Beautiful photos Laurel...love that Emperor of China mum...gorgeous colors!
    Jan

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

love the asters also.
    Jill

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I agree...those asters are wonderful! I think I'll check the box stores tomorrow...maybe I can find some on sale.
    Laurel, I've never heard of hardy mums. I've grown the regular mums and they are good for several years. But they decline a little each year...for me, anyway.
    I only have 6 roses. I love them, but we have such high humidity, they are prone to disease (and I hate to spray). I'd say the best rose in my garden would be the white floribunda, "Iceberg". It has been very healthy and is a heavy bloomer.
    {{gwi:636151}}
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Some things blooming in my garden today.
    {{gwi:636152}}
    This Confederate Rose opens white and darkens everyday until its a rose color.
    {{gwi:636153}}
    {{gwi:636154}}
    {{gwi:636155}}
    {{gwi:636156}}
    {{gwi:636157}}
    {{gwi:636158}}
    Jan

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jan, all very pretty. I love the color of the bronze mum and your blackeyed susan vine looks so cheerful. Great fall colors!
    Kathy