Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

Night-blooming Cereus photo

tweetypye
16 years ago

I have a large Night-blooming Cereus that bloomed for the first time for me the first week in October. A friend gave me a small piece last year and it's really grown. It had about a dozen blooms in all, but if you want to see them, you have to go out at night. I keep it on my porch until the weather begins to get cold, then I bring it into the house. Here's a photo of one of the blooms.

{{gwi:636348}}
Jan

Comments (6)

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Them blooms are sure pretty,i use to grow them many years ago.Nice photo.
    Jean

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Jan, Very interesting! I'll tell you why... A friend of mine just gave me a cutting of this plant. It's only about an inch tall, so I don't even know if it has rooted. I know nothing about it, but it's nice to see such a pretty bloom. Mine is growing in the house for now. But next spring, if it's still alive, I'll put it out on the porch like you did. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy, they're very easy to root and grow, just give it a good watering every now and then. It doesn't complain about a bit of neglect. :) I noticed one of the leaf segments on mine was torn, and had already begun to grow rootlets, so I just took it off the mother plant and stuck in into the potting soil. It never missed a beat. It's very pretty when blooming, but you have to watch it closely or you'll miss the blooms as they only bloom at night, and like the dl's, only last that one night. Hope yours does well for you and you get lots of blooms next summer.
    Jan

• laurelin
    16 years ago

That's lovely, Jan. It reminds me of the flowers on some night-blooming cacti. Is it fragrant?

Laurel

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Laurel, and yes it is very fragrant when it first opens.
    Jan

• njoynit
    16 years ago

That looks like oxypetulauim. I grow strictum,but I have a cutting like yours.My strictuim is self fertilie,I don't recall if yours is or not.i'm on my new PC,but I have photos in my member page of mine blooming. I timed mine this year and had my bloom open over a 20 minute period.

seedpod
    {{gwi:636351}}

flower

{{gwi:636354}}

Bud

{{gwi:636357}}

bud opening(can see 2 in picture)
    {{gwi:636360}}

{{gwi:636362}}

plant shot

{{gwi:636365}}

I traded some this summer and got me some colors and some day bloomers.Then bought a few rhips and have a string of pearls,string of bananas (that both have bloomed)lucked out getting some dragon fruit cuttings too.I know you can cross your epi with other epis. my carion flower was in bloom when the pod took also.