Fudge recipe!

mizellie
17 years ago

3 cups sugar

2/3 c of Hershey's cocoa

1 & 1/2 c half & half

1 tsp vanilla extract

4 tbls. butter

mix together, sugar, cream & cocoa. Bring to a hard boil for one minute, stirring constantly. reduce heat to a slow boil & cook until the candy forms a solid, firm soft ball when dropped in water. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Let cool and then beat until the fudge loses some of it's gloss. Pour out into buttered 9x12" glass pan. Let set until firm then cut into desired size.

You can add nuts after it has been removed from the heat. My family had rather have it plain.

I made about 7 batches while I was there and took 3 with me.LOL..Do you think my family likes fudge????

Ellie Ps. A tip...Don't beat with a mixer. Use a wooden spoon...

Comments (9)

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

I remember my Mama making that very same fudge Ellie, but I've never been much of a candy maker. I may just have to give this fudge a try though. :) I remember how good it was, when Mama made it.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.
    Jan

• highjack
    17 years ago

Ellie I need the diet version of this recipe - lol!

Brooke

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, there is NO good recipe for diet fudge....You can substitute the half and half with 2% milk and use Margerine in place of the butter but in my estimation, you may as well save yourself the trouble since it won't taste like the OLD Fashioned Fudge our mothers used to make. We all know that theirs was better to taste if not better for you.. Besides, I doubt you need to watch weight as much as I do. The Dr. put my dh on a diet because of high blood sugar and needless to say that the fudge I made so much of was the last BIG splurge. I will have to diet along with him in order to keep him on the straight and narrow. That means, NO treats for me ..like chocolate. That is my main weakness and that's not to say I don't have more..LOL..I know I am Not alone here!!! Come on ya'll. Do tell me I am right!!! Ellie

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

No Ellie, you are not alone...chocolate is my weakness too. I have a 13 year old daughter who needs to watch her weight though, so I try not to keep high calorie snacks, sweets, etc around the house, especially chocolate. Although, I do splurge every now and then. I haven't yet, but I'm thinking seriously about making your fudge recipe!! Will power....now do you have a recipe for "will power"? I could surely use one!! :)
    Jan

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tweety, my recipe for will power. Lock the door, throw away the key, burn all credit cards and keep NO Cash. Oh yes, and NO Checks.. I think if you make the fudge, be sure you can't access it easily.. Maybe put it in the vault at the bank... I think I told you how much I made while in Texas and even before I left. Well, when I left, there was not a crumb in the container. I had already told them I was fudged out and wasn't making any more. I maybe , just maybe, ate 2 pieces the two weeks I was in Texas and my favorite part is scraping the pan. I like it while it's still warm but the Daughter and SIL fought over that too!!! If you do make it and it isn't right..e-mail me and I'll tell you what to do for it.....Ellie

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Mmmm, thanks for the recipe. I'll have to give that a try for the holidays. Do you ever add nuts to yours?

My husband makes penuche fudge every Christmas - delicious!

Laurel

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurel, I do add pecans on occasion ( we don't like walnuts ) but my family likes it better without them. The nuts seem to change the texture some. I guess because it's harder to beat.. My favorite part.. Yehh, right!! You should post the recipe for penuche fudge. I have never tried to make it but the name sounds delicious...Ellie

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Penuche Fudge (from the Betty Crocker Cookbook)

1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 cup granulated white sugar
    2/3 cup whole milk
    2 tbsp. dark corn syrup
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 - 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, if desired

Line a large loaf pan with heavy foil long enough to hang over the edges a bit, and butter it lightly.

Cook sugars, milk, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved. Cook, stirring occasionally, to 234 degrees on a candy thermometer (or to "soft ball" stage).
    Remove from heat.

Add the butter. Cool to 120 degrees without stirring. Add vanilla. Beat vigorously and continuously by hand (wooden spoon is best, but a silicone spatula works okay) for 5 to 10 minutes, until the candy is thick and no longer glossy. Quickly stir in the nuts. Spread in the buttered loaf pan.

Cool completely, remove from the pan using the foil to lift with, and cut into 1" squares. Store in an airtight container.

My husband makes this every year. One of his tips is: DON'T DOUBLE THE RECIPE - unless you want to make caramels instead of fudge.

You can use light brown sugar and light corn syrup if you prefer - we like the darker molasses flavor from the dark brown sugar.

Laurel

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Laurel. I copied and pasted that to an e-mail and sent it to me. I'll print a hard copy and then I can keep it. I can't wait to try it....Ellie Ps, tell your dh that I like caramel too!!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz