Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kydaylilylady

Thanksgiving plans

kydaylilylady
17 years ago

What's on tap for your Thanksgiving?

Please tell me that your family has as many disfunctional members as mine does and that you are one of the few normal ones swinging from the family tree! LOL!!

The kids and I will start with lunch at my mother's house. She finally got with the program and started having her four grown children start bringing dishes for the meal instead of me supplying the homemade pies and her wearing herself out for the rest of the meal. Bout time the rest start showin' up with more than their appetite! We end the day at my MIL's where we eat again. Only half the family shows up for that cause the rest ain't speakin'

On the serious side though, I probably enjoy Thanksgiving more than Christmas because there isn't the extra pressure of gift buying, wrapping, will it get done in time, is it the right present, I can't find what they want and I have to take it all back routine. We can just enjoy a meal together, have a good time visiting while we're cleaning it up and go home exhausted.

Janet

Comments (5)

• highjack
    17 years ago

My Thanksgiving plans? I'm doing my spring/fall cleaning. Hubby is again going to the hybridizers meeting in Myrtle Beach and I take advantage of only having to deal with the critters and get some serious house cleaning done. Usually he comes home on Saturday but this year he is driving to Ft. Mill, SC and touring an orchid greenhouse. Of course I have sent a list with him. He will then be home by noon on Sunday and hopefully my house will sparkle.

Brooke

• laurelin
    17 years ago

And of course all that cleaning will make room for any orchids that follow him home, right?

We'll be at my parents' house this year, with all my sisters etc. I'm hoping this will be a laid-back holiday. We're all bringing something to the meal, so no one person gets overloaded with making everything. We'll see my husband's parents on Saturday. We decided not to do the overnight visit and hit both sets of parents in the same two-day period (they live very close to each other). We've done that before, and it's honestly easier to drive over twice than to sleep over with the kids - we'll all sleep better this way.

I don't think anyone can claim to be "normal" in either of our families (you know the old saw about nuts not falling far from the tree!), but we all get along most of the time, and we love each other even when we make each other crazy, so we'll count our blessings and enjoy spending time together.

Laurel

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

My kids are both here, home from school, so that feels pretty special. We are a small unit and enjoy a laid back Thanksgiving...not getting dressed until whenever and the big dinner served whenever it all gets ready!

Growing up, it was always just our family unit and I longed for the big Thanksgivings with lots of family. DH's family seemed like such a family...seemed is the operative word...and let's just say we like having our own. Too many issues to deal with the larger family and too much stress.

One of my sisters lives fairly close (although the traffic is awful). She decided years ago, however, that she prefers to have Thanksgiving with friends and considers them her real family. I used to go through the drill of inviting her (and having her decline), but not any longer. My other sister lives in SC and invited us down (she is unable to come up this year...new job) but none of my family wanted to travel. They just want to have Thanksgiving at home and I don't blame them.

My parents are getting up there but they travel around and are difficult to pin down. One can only assume they celebrate as they wish.

So, what will be, will be. I admire those of you that do have the large families and manage it all.

Happy Thanksgiving! (Have you noticed, at least around here, that everywhere is already decked out for Christmas??...it's as if Thanksgiving has already passed by) We have much to be thankful for!

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving EVERYONE, whatever you may be doing.

We plan on going to Huntsville, too my sisters for Thanksgiving. I will have two other sisters there with their families. We usually have our dinner here ( everyone comes ) but this year for the first time in about 15 years, I got a break. Of course I still have to roast the Turkey and do the homemade yeast rolls, but what the heck. I have to do it anyway if they come here plus, I have all the pies, cakes and side dishes to make. I told my sis that if I had too, I would bring the Turkey and rolls but THAT WAS ALL I was bringing. I don't know why they can't make rolls... Anyway we are looking for a pleasant dinner but most of all, we are just Thankful that we can have full bellies.. Have a good day, ya'll.....Ellie

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

My DH will be traveling home from Raleigh, NC tomorrow, and we'll go to his sisters for Thanksgiving with his Mom, and his brother. His sisters daughters will be there too, I suppose, but that's about all. Then Saturday is my big day! All my kids and grandkids come over, laden with lots of food, and we have a blast at my house. DH's daughter and her 4 kids will probably be here too. One year, we had all 5 of my kids with their spouses, my 8 grandkids, DH's 2 kids and their spouses and their 6 kids,and our 12 year old adopted daughter, so we really had a crowd. The weather was nice and the kids love to get out in Nanna's garden and rip and run. DH's grandkids all live in towns, and don't get to roam in the country much, so they love coming to Nanna and Papa's. :) It's supposed to be sunny and in the 70's this Sat. so looks like a great day for all our family to get together again, although we'll be missing a few members this year. I have a son in Utah who won't be able to make it, and a daughter who's off somewhere doing her own thing, and DH's son has moved to south Florida and was just up here last month for a few days with his family so they won't be back for Thanksgiving, but, we'll have a good time with the ones who can be here, I'm sure. I am so thankful for all the many blessings God has given me through the years, especially my family. :)
    I hope you all have a Blessed Thanksgiving.
    Jan