Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Yuck

Posted by kydaylilylady z6 KY (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 15, 06 at 14:08

Raining here again today. A nice uggy 40 degrees to boot. Of course I had to be out in it to run errands. Did I think to get computer CD's the other day when I was in Wally World when it was sunny and warm? Of course not. Then there's the necessary evils of house payments, bank runs and the usual milk and bread. It may actually snow by the end of the week. About the only thing blooming at my house is this miniature violet that was supposed to stay miniature so it would fit in the brandy whatever they're called. Apparently somebody forgot to tell the violet to stay little because it's coming out the top of the container.

I have one more week of Farmer's Market and it's done for the year. Market is about like gardening. By this time I'm ready for a break. I only bake one night a week now and it's strange to actually sit down and read or crochet. I started an afgan in September while Steph was in the hospital and maybe we'll be done with it by Christmas. Wonder how Edward's doing with the sweater?

Is anyone out there organized enough that they've done any Christmas shopping yet? Or even written a card or two? Or do any of you do Christmas cards anymore?

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Yuck

Hey Janet, I still do cards for Christmas but haven't started them yet. I usually wait until about 2 weeks before to start them..You see, I hate addressing those things but sure love to get them..Good luck finishing the afgan before Christmas.

It's a little warmer here than there but the rain is cold and it's started early last night and hasn't stopped. Maybe our creeks and rivers will fill up again since this summer left them low and dry....Ellie

o

I've got most of my shopping done, but I still have a handful of crafts to go. I haven't started the baking at all yet. I'm a week off - I can't believe NEXT week is Thanksgiving. Time to see how many of my husband's coworkers want to buy biscotti for the holidays (to provide my winter daylily mad money this year).

It's warmer than usual up here right now - 50s and damp. We're supposed to have rain and possible gusty thunderstorms tomorrow - so much for gardening at the church like I had planned. It has been gray, gray, gray for days and days. I'm ready for a bit of sunshine.

I have to go!

Laurel

o

Yuck, yuck and more yuck.

Brooke

o

I'm happy to say rain is falling in Waycross right now! From what Ellie's been posting it sounds like we had the same kind of summer. A few days ago we had 80% chance and it rained, but only enough to make dots in the dust on my windshield. This time it's the real thing, hooray!

We've still been having temps in the 80's, high even for this far south, so it's hard to think about Thanksgiving, let alone Christmas. I have the last of my final exams on the 15th of December, so I'll probably start my Christmas prep then *sigh*

Lelia

o

• Posted by rsts Z8GA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 16, 06 at 9:15

Yesterday was very nice, but today is yucky. Temp in 50s and very windy. Temp in 50s is fine, but the wind makes it very uncomfortable.

Nice that those in Alabama did not take all the rain this time. lol. Had a little over an inch last night.

o

We too, had a miseralble day in south Alabama yesterday. Numerous tornado touchdowns and sightings. Some of you may have seen the video and pictures coming out of Montgomery of the destruction there. It's just a miracle that no one was killed or even seriously injured, especially in that daycare facility that was totally destroyed! I praise God for keeping all those children safe.
On the up side of yesterday's weather, we did get lots of rain. There was 4 inches in my gauge, and more in other areas around south and central Al. Yes, Ellie, I think the lakes and rivers will be back to normal around here. :)
It's still very cloudy, windy, and generally yucky here today too.
I've been offline for a couple of days due to my cable company attempting to network my daughters and my pc with a wireless modem. Thank goodness, they sent a tech out today that got it up and going for me. It's good to be able to again visit the forum!!! :)
Jan

o

I like the rain, odd person that I am! Great soup and stew weather. My dogs, as they age, seem to have become more and more afraid of weather. They are big dogs and one of them in particular has become such a baby during bad weather. I don't even have to look outside; I know by his behavior (if he were a child, he'd be clinging...!)

Jan, I can so relate to your internet woes! It's too much to go into but we have been having issues since September! Finally, I think (fingers crossed) just tonight we might have it solved. Our internet provider finally sent a new modem (like getting water from a rock, I swear) and I purchased a new router (not sure it was necessary but at this point, I'd try just about anything)....and at last, after two hours on the phone with linksys....I'm backkkkkkkk!

Good thing, too, as the kids will be home for Thanksgiving and they cannot exist without the internet! You will love being wireless (provided it works well....lol!).....you can be on your computer anywhere in your house!

o

We got hammered by the weather yesterday. Rain most of the afternoon, 2+" of rain in an hour between 3:30 and 4:30, flash floods and inundated roads all over the place, landslides and road damage, homes flooded again - nasty.

I spent this AM helping my sister with her basement, which took in a little water. Her house was spared the worst of the flooding, since its on a little rise - it was an island in a river running through her neighborhood - but her yard is trashed. She's so disappointed, because she spent a lot of time this fall expanding beds, moving perennials and planting small shrubs, and mulching. I'll help her with yard cleanup next week, after things dry out a little. Her yard is a swamp right now.

We've had WAY more precipitation this year than in an "average" year. I'm ready for an average year next year, and I don't think our part of the country would even mind a drought at this point. . . .

Laurel

o

Actually, it's a little better here today. Yesterday was as nasty as Wed. There's a 20-30% chance of rain on I think Sunday, then clear through Thanksgiving. We'll see. Second child promised that she'd take the Grasshopper and mow both of the yards and the daylily field over the Thanksgiving holiday IF it's dry enough for the ground to carry. If she gets that done then I'm planning to do some major mulching in the paths between the rows. The more mulch I haul in the winter, the less sweating I'll do in the spring and the further ahead I'll be on the weeds come March.

Laurel, I feel for your sister. Cleaning up flood anything is a mess. At least with busted pipes it's clean water. Can't say that about what she's dealing with. I'd say that her mulch is probably gone but she might be surprised at what she has left still in the ground. As long as her beds weren't just recently tilled hopefully her topsoil is still intact.

Our rainfall is way, way above normal this year too. Just before daylily buds started to open we were way dry. To the point that I'd dragged out the hoses to water blackberries and was getting ready to start the daylilies. It started raining and hasn't stopped yet. I don't think there was any period during the summer that we could skip mowing yards. Just 30 miles up the road though I don't think Brooke ever put the hoses away.

Janet

o

Laurel, I feel for your sister, and all the others dealing with floods and the tornado damage. I can only imagine how heart breaking it must be.
Yesterday was very cloudy and cold, but today was much better. The sun was out bright and it warmed up to the low 60's. Just right for dealing with all the leaves that came down during Wednesday's bad weather. :) They're almost all off now, so I won't have many more to have to get up, thank goodness.
Janet, I didn't put my hoses away all summer either! My water bill was outrageous, to say the least. But, we have had a very wet October and November, so I'm hoping the water table will recover, and next season will be much better.
Hope the rest of the year finds everyone doing much better, weather wise.
Jan

o

Janet is right about the difference 30 miles can make regarding the rain. Most of the time I could see the rain, feel the rain, hear the rain, it just forgot to drop at my house. Honestly, it was like the rain was using the map of KY and it would travel I-64 (about 5 miles from me) and travel to eastern KY or even worse, travel the KY river (2 miles from me) but stay on the south side of the river and not make it to my house.

Water is cheap in my area thankfully but I still had three monthly bills of $175. Since September, I have gotten my share (and some other people) of rain. More predicted for tomorrow but right now, there is a big, bright thing is in the sky. I would call it the sun but I almost forget what it looks like.

Brooke

o

Today was a beautiful 40 degree, misting all day with a nice 10-15mph wind. Ya gotta love KY!

Brooke

o

Brooke, we had the same weather. . . . Ick. A good day to stay inside and do crafts and laundry etc. My husband took our daughter to an organ concert; they had a great time together. Our son and I had a peaceful afternoon. I did crafts and laundry, and some computer stuff. I must be a little bonkers, because I signed up for another garden gift/craft exchange - but I'm already in a crafting mood, and I've got seeds to share, so this shouldn't be a stretch, and it will give me something to look forward to after the holidays are done.

Laurel

o

EGADS - it's snowing here. This might be a record - nothing accumulating except on top of the grass.

Brooke

o

OMG!!! Better you than me Brooke!! It's a cold blustery day here today but at least the sun peeks out from behind those fast moving clouds occasionally! :)
I do not envy any of you who deal with snow every winter. Been there, done that in my travels with my DH. I just can't stand cold weather. I guess that's why God saw fit to plop me down in the south where we don't have to deal with too much cold. BRrrrrrrrrr.....
Jan

o

I can't deal with the cold weather either Jan but I also can't deal with hot and humid. I think I was supposed to live in San Diego or Hawaii but obviously someone couldn't read the road map.

The snow was nothing and gone by 10 a.m. and we now have the sun peaking in and out from the fast moving clouds. Better occasional sun than zero sun. My attitude improves greatly when it shines.

Brooke

o

Sunshine finally up here too! It's been gray for just about EVER up here (it seems), so the sun is a welcome treat. We had snow flurries yesterday, but no accumulation (much to the kids' dismay - our son was hoping for 10"!).

I don't mind the snow and the seasonal cold. I love the turn of the seasons, especially the early fall and the spring. My LEAST favorite weather is the hot/muggy/buggy days of high summer. In that weather I garden early and late, but NOT usually between 11am and 5pm. . . .

We visited North Carolina quite a few years ago, near Boone (Sugar Loaf). The mountains were just wonderful, and I could probably live there quite happily. But a day trip to Old Salem Village just about did us in, going from those lovely mountains to the soupy-humid, stifling-hot valley. AAACCCKKK! I was NOT born and bred to live in a hot climate, and I hope the Lord mercifully keeps me in the seasonally-frozen North.

Cold-tolerant, dormant daylilies, anyone?

Laurel

o

Sunny here today. The sky looks a little funny without shades of gray and grayer. I actually need sunglasses. And guess what? No rain forcasted until the weekend. There's hope in sight for me to get a few more outside things done after a day of gluttony on Thursday.

Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here