Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

Marietta Daylilies and my MIL

laurelin
17 years ago

This is just too funny, I had to post it. When my parents in law asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, I suggested a Marietta Gardens gift certificate. They know I love to garden, and have given me gift certs to other places over the years, so this request didn't bother them at all.

My MIL, a very nice, and very straightlaced and proper lady originally from Toronto, Canada, called Marietta Gardens earlier this month. The gentleman on the other end of the phone took her gift cert order and credit info, then proceeded to tease her a little bit. He asked her, "Now, was that certificate for 3 or 4 thousand?" (It was less, obviously - I WISH I could have that much to spend at a daylily farm! - but he flummoxed her for a moment.) And when he said that the credit card would be charged at the beginning of January, my MIL asked him if he kept the credit information in a safe place. He told her that he kept it on his nightstand - under his gun - when it wasn't posted on the wall in the office. LOLOL! My MIL has a great sense of humor and related this story with great gusto, and I can just imagine this Southern gent teasing my very proper Canadian-born MIL. . . .

So, John Shooter, if it was you who teased my mother-in-law Ruth by phone in early December, it was well-received, and we all had a good laugh at the family Christmas get-together last weekend.

And I can hardly wait to pick out my daylilies. . . .

Laurel

Comments (5)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Isn't it wonderful to have a MIL with a sense of humor and nice enough to get you a present that you really need!

Brooke

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Lucky you, Laurel. No one has even asked me what I want, so I don't think I'll be getting any DL gift certificates this year.
    I enjoyed your story, and that sounds like something John would do. :) Have fun choosing your dl's, and Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Jan

• numama
    17 years ago

I too, enjoyed your story Laurel! Brooke is right....JUST WHAT YOU NEED!
    WHAT A SWEET MOTHER IN LAW!
    Jan....Guess you'll have to do like me....buy your own Christmas Gift.....LOL!
    I hope everyone has a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Nancy

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Loved your story, Reminded me of the time I was talking to John, of course I did not know it was John at the time & he told me he didn't really like the boss, that the boss was grumpy & mean, well before we ended our talk that day I found out HE was the boss & was just teasing me, I truly enjoy making my phone in orders & the time he spends making me feel like a person, not just money in the bank, will be calling him soon, as I need to get Marietta Song Bird & a few others this year, :)Anita
    P.S What are you going to pick with your gift certificate ?

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What to choose, what to choose - a delightful dilemma. I've opted to get a handful of the Shooters' older intros (I could get several of those, or one new one, and I decided to go for several that I liked from the catalog online). So far I've put on my list:

Changing Latitudes (stunning eye)
    Talking To You (tall and elegant with a fine eye)
    Insight (a lovely broad pink-pastel)
    Looking Fine (rounded rose pink with a dusky rose eye, supposed to have great branching - something I want to breed for)
    Mexican Art (a Whatley intro, a gorgeous dark red with a fine gold edge)

I'll also get some others with my "mad money" from selling biscotti to my husband's coworkers. I've got my eye on:

Tachibana (pastel orchid-pink/cream bitone, yellow eye, very Munson-looking to my eye even though it's a Moldovan intro)
    Francis of Assisi (crimson red with a fine white edge)
    Hampstead Heath (violet-purple polychrome, white ribs and edges)
    Hannah Elmgren (Pink/peachy blend, orange throat, lovely)

I'm sure one or two others might sneak onto the list by the time I finally send it.

Laurel