Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxbaerhems

New Addition.......

MaxBaerHems
16 years ago

After careful thought we decided to go with another wonderful German Shepherd.....I really liked the Bernese Mountain Dogs...but a 7-8 year life span...well....we wanted a long term member to the Family....have always had GS.....so here he is. A wonderful Pup he has been...already.

Say Hi to Nicco Von Felsendorf.....:)

{{gwi:637044}}

{{gwi:637045}}

{{gwi:637046}}

Rick

Comments (26)

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

AWWWWWWW, He/she is so cute. GS are great dogs.
    Thanks for showing your new baby

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Looks like Santa was very good to you and Karen this year Rick...he's a beauty. Glad to see his ears standing already...that means he's a happy pup! :)
    Congrats and keep us posted with photos as Nicco grows up.
    Jan

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Just popped by and had to add my 2@.....what a goegeous animal. Please hug him for me! I just adore those snuggly creatures::)) Sure is a beauty!

Sassy

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Oh, he's beautiful, Rick! I'm so glad to hear that you chose a new canine friend. What a way to start a great new year!

Laurel

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Hi Rick,
    Cute puppy, was he your christmas present? he'll make sure nobody picks blooms out of your yard for sure!
    Remember that photo contest at Oakes I told you about earlier this season? I submitted some of my photos and Yesterday I got a gift certificate in the mail for $25! I got honourable mention for photos of a single variety! Pretty cool huh? I was excited. You should email some of your pics next season (they are always so nice!) The top prize is a $200 gift certificate, can't beat that. If I can win something with my crappy photos, you sure could! well have a happy New Year! -Jessica

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

WHAT A GORGEOUS PUP! You know how much I love German Shepherds. Lola is going on six, and I was thinking I should get a puppy to keep her company.

I need details -- how old is he? He's got some huge forelegs and paws on him. What a beautiful present. Congrats.

Chris

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ALL for your kind words...:) Ya'll are making Nicco's head swell...LOL He was 12 weeks old in those pic's Chris......His Dad and his bloodline are German....His Mom is American but all of her side is from Holland. He is a Spoiled Rotten German Shepherd.....LOL I don't think he will be as tall or large as Baer was....but he is "Thick".....in the head too...LOL I am hoping he ends up Max's height and weight.....26" and around 85 lbs.....but with his large bone structure....who knows....might be a bit heavier.....time will tell... I think I have a few updated pic's of Nicco......i'll post.

{{gwi:637047}}

{{gwi:637048}}

{{gwi:637049}}

{{gwi:637050}}

{{gwi:637051}}

Rick

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Oh my he is a beauty.

• Susy
    16 years ago

Congrats! What a great looking dog! Bev J.

• janepa
    16 years ago

Oh, Rick and Karen, what a handsome puppy. We have always had German Shepherd dogs, but always 'girls'. Mandy is now our 4th. We have not traveled on overnight trips since '92 because there is no one here to take care of our girl, and Bob will not put her in a kennel for the length of a two week vacation. I miss Yellowstone, and Bar Harbor, but Mandy gives so much joy each day that it is a small sacrifice. Aren't they just the smartest dogs? We have to spell, and they sure can feel your thoughts and emotions. We never have to tell her the kids are coming, she knows, and rests her head on the bay windowsill until they pull in.
    Thanks for sharing. Jane

PS: Do you mind saying where you got him? E-mail me if you want. We came by Mandy through our vet. I saw a TV program about the Monks who raise and train GSDs.

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

Thanks for the updated photos, Rick. He sure is a ham! And yep, those are still some large forelegs. I was comparing his pics to Lola's puppy photos and noticed how much longer our GSD's snout is. Have you noticed any difference between this pup and your other GSDs in that regard?

Jane, I agree that Shepherds are way too smart (for couch potatoes like me, anyway). It's amazing to watch their faces and how much they comprehend. We had to stop talking about Lola by name, and instead just referred to her as "she," but Lola figured that out pretty quickly. They're just an amazing breed.

Keep us posted, Rick. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through your photos.

Chris

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Guy's....He has been a joy....so far...:)
    Jane, I got him from a small town near here...called Newville...a Family of Mennonite's...raise GSD's. Yes, there is a book called The Monks Of New Skete The Art Of Raising A Puppy.....they had a neat TV show about them...:)
    Yes Chris, his muzzle is short...I'm hoping it will continue to grow some, yet??? His is shorter right now then it should be. The American German Shepherds have always had a much longer muzzle...the West German GSD seem to have a shorter thicker muzzle...I hope his gets to at least the proper standard....I can always let him have some of mine...if his does not grow out...LOL Bear and Max both had longer Muzzle's...Bear's was not as long as Max's though. Nicco's Dad, Grand Dad and Great Grand Dad all have the shorter thick muzzle....hopefully Nicco's will end up like any of theres...But if not...no biggie..he will still be loved and treated like a King Here...:) I have some pic's of some of his Pedigree....they are All West German on this side of his Family....

His Dad (Sire)
    {{gwi:637052}}

His Grand Sire
    {{gwi:637053}}

Great Grand Sire
    {{gwi:637054}}

Hopefully with his background he will be a decent representation of the German Shepherd Breed....but Like I said...if not...he will still be hanging out here for all his years to come.....I think he should have been a Gal though.....sure is Stubborn....ROTFL...:)
    Thanks again Guy's for all your kind comments....I'll pass them on to Nicco...:)

Rick

• maximus7116
    16 years ago

You had me laughing out loud here, Rick. I certainly have some nose to spare, too. You know how the theory runs that pet owners resemble their dogs? Well, I'm just a two-legged version of my Shepherd. Whether your pup's muzzle grows or not, it definitely does not detract from his looks. He is a beauty with a very sweet face.

Years ago, I met the largest GSD I'd ever seen. If memory serves, his owner told me he was from East German stock (and he also game me some German name that I don't remember). I'd never realized there were different characteristics to the breed depending on the area in which they were bred. This boy was so friendly and beautiful I considered contacting the breeder, but then we found Lola.

In any case, you picked a winner. Keep posting those pics.

Chris

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Chris......I figured out how to make his muzzle grow.....LOL Yup he told me if I tucked him in better and read him a bedtime story......"Catch The Cat"......everything will grow....just right....LOL

{{gwi:637055}}

Sittin Purdy....
    {{gwi:637056}}

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Hmmm....I think it's working Rick!! :) He is so purdy, sorry Nicco, I mean handsome!! LOL
    Jan

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

He's beautiful and you can see the "love" just dripping from him. Here's to a long and loving relationship.
    Blessing to all, Mona

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jan......He heard you...LOL

Thank you Mona.. I hope it will be for many years...:) He is alway in the frame of mind that he should be a "Lap" dog.....at least till the "Teething Craze" comes over him.... My hands look like razor blades had at them...LOL He is a "Foot Warmer" for sure...:)

His muzzle is Groooooowing ...ROTFL along with everything else.....

{{gwi:637057}}

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Wow Rick...if I didn't know Nicco was just a pup, I'd think your last photo was of a grown GS. He sure is turning into a beauty! :)
    Jan

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Morning Jan....
    Yes, he sure is growing now.....he is 4 months old now....he is still rather short though...will have to wait and see if his tree trunk legs....start growing UP....LOL Thanks......he is getting to be rather handsome.....IMHO...hahaha He sounds like an adult too...when he barks...everyone...knows it..:)

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Rick, Congrats on the new addition to your family! Nicco is a fine looking dog and I'm sure you'll enjoy him. But where is the video??? I want to see him do this...

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Doggie Dance

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haha Katlynn....:)
    I bet Nicco could do that dance...but I sure couldn't...LOL :) That is an awesome Pup on that video!

Here is a little update of Nicco......tried to get it in a similiar way as the very first pic of him on this thread......he sure is taking up a bit more room...these days...LOL

{{gwi:637058}}

• fairysoapgirl
    16 years ago

Awwww... Rick, he is a beauty! Congratulations... We have one GS and one Yorkie...

Here is my girl, Qira enjoying our grass (does he do this too???)...

{{gwi:637059}}

{{gwi:637060}}

And with her sister:

{{gwi:637061}}

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Michelle!
    You have two beauties there! Nicco hasn't had any grass...so to speak of...to roll around on ...yet...LOL He just joined me on the 22 of December...(Cold Winter here)..he did enjoy the blue rug juniper when we had a few sunny days..:) That looks like fresh sod that Qira is having such fun on...Nice! Is she about 9 years old? That last pic makes them look like such great Buddies...how neat! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pic's and beautiful Pup's...:)

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:637062}}

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

He is such a beauty Rick....so regal looking!!! I love looking at his photos. :)
    Michell...love your "together" photo of your babies too. That's so cute!!
    Jan

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

We added a new member tour family this year. he is a long haired daschund, about 5 months old right now His name is Coal. He is a black and tan boy AKC registered and has been micro-chipped all ready.he likes to play rough with our hands while he is teething but hasn't done much damage to the skin yet. He gets scared of big trucks going by the house when we have him out on the leash so he can do his business out side.A fire truck went by today while I was outside walking him and he turned to run back in the house, I picked him up, he was shaking so bad.