Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Top 10 Daylilies of 2013

shive
10 years ago

I got so busy at the end of last summer that I never posted my Top 10 performers for 2013. Here they are.

ETHEL BUCCOLA - Three cycles of blooms with consistently nice flowers in all temperature ranges.

Comments (21)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

COOL HAND LUKE really showed off in its second year with nice branching and even more buds on rebloom.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WONDER OF IT ALL - Another great rebloomer with seven weeks of flowers.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WILLOW DEAN SMITH produced a huge clump in just two years with scads of buds. Every bloom was perfect!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

KENTUCKY LUCKY was heavily loaded with buds, and then rebloomed.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LINDA BECK - another mega rebloomer that looked lovely in late July and early August.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LILLIAN'S JINGER BRED - A delightful new pink for my garden that rebloomed well.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ENGLISH LAVENDER was my best performing Stamile last year, and the only one that rebloomed.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

INTEGRATED LOGISTICS was the best performing narrow petaled cultivar in my garden. The clump was just amazing.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BEST FOR LAST was a showy late that bloomed for a long time.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

JITTERBUG BLUES was an honorable mention. While it didn't rebloom last season, it did bloom on the original scapes for a long time and outdid the other blue eyed cultivars in my garden.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another strong contender was TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC because of its long bloomtime and lovely plant habits.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Debra: You are such a temptress. Here it is time to think about ordering daylilies and I'm slapping my hand down to keep my orders at a bare minimum. I love English Lavender and Wonder of It all. Teddy Bear Picnic has a unique color I think I like too. Depends if the color is brownish lavender or grayed lavender in person. The rest are pretty too. It's been so cold and dreary here that it's fun to see blooms again. Thanks for starting this post.......Maryl

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Every one of these is just beautiful, so nice to get beauty with great performance. Everyone always raves about Wonder of It all. I've been tempted to get it,but have 3 that look similar & they perform quite well also, so I haven't succumbed yet. Linda Beck is on my wish list, love the look & glad to know it does so well for you.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love Teddy Bear's Picnic and Lillian's Jinger Bred! I also really love Ethel Buccola. I have an Ethel Buccola x Wild Cherry Roundup seedling that I grew last year and I'm hoping to see it bloom this year :)

Tammy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Teddy Bear's picnic has more of a brown cast in cooler temps. But I don't have many days of cool temps here, so it's mostly a grayed lavender in my garden.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Wonder of It All is fabulous when the temps are in the 90s. Otherwise many of the blooms have trouble opening.

Debra

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Ah, thanks for letting me know about that Debra. We certainly have plenty of days of 90 degree days, but I think WOIA is an early season daylily, so I imagine those first blooms would be stubborn. Would be so disappointing, especially since I have some similar, though later blooming, that do open well.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I always love seeing your pics of Wonder of It All but am reluctant to try it here because of our cooler a.m. temps, English Lavender is another one that tempts me. Cool Hand Luke is a Hanson I don't have yet. How's the bud count on that one?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Cool Hand Luke has bud counts ranging from 23-28 per scape here and reblooms. It's definitely worth adding. I would not recommend WOIA for you because of it's problems opening in cooler temps. English Lavender might work for you. How has the performance of its parent, Arctic Lace, been in your climate?

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 15:37

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Arctic Lace has been great (and I didn't realize it was the parent of English Lavender). AL has never had a problem opening, and every bloom is perfect. Sounds like I have another couple to add to my garden. I gave away a ton of daylilies last year with an eye toward keeping only the best performers and favorite faces. There are a few bare spots left for some worthy newbies.

• jclay321
    10 years ago

I was a little behind posting pics of my garden last season on my blog so I did a quick recap earlier this year. Came across this pic of 'The Last Melon'. A reliable bloomer that starts blooming at end of August and blooms until mid September most years. I love the melon color. A fresh alternative to some of the more pumpkin oranges. Do tend to flop due to weight of blooms per stalk. I also have them at edge of shrub border so they may be reaching for the sun. I just prop them up with small forked branches. These natural looking stakes almost disappear into the foliage.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'The Last Melon'