Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Time for desirable "D" daylilies!

Time to dig in the files for your "D"s! Lets see if you can make our lists longer!

Sherry

Comments (50)

• Billi
    9 years ago

I've been waiting for this post! I know it cops a lot of negative comments for being a poor performer, but Darla Anita is one of my favourites. I love the diamond dusting and the big curly ruffles. Every time it flowers in a differemt shade of colour.

• Billi
    9 years ago

Here it is again, after I put it in the ground.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Billi,
    Dont know if you saw my post at the end of the C's ! I will repeat , it is nice to see someone posting here from down south!!! You have some lovely flowers!

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

I only have a few D's but here are 3, each with issues. Damsel in Distress has to be in partial shade or it is horribly splotched. It does well now that I have it in the right spot.; Daveo Holeman doesn't put out many flowers & is extremely short. I put it in a spot most daylilies don't like for this year, cause hey, something needs to go there. Daisy's blooms vary too much; when it is nice, like this one, I like it. Sometimes it hardly has any color at all, just bland.
    Brad

• del_s
    9 years ago

Darker Shade.

• del_s
    9 years ago

Daydreaming.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Here is Daring Deception.

9 years ago

Destined to See is a favorite for a lot of us.

Sherry on the HF we encourage multiple pics of the same hosta. I know others will have better pics of D to S.
    I would enjoy seeing them. What about you?

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Dragon Knife, a bold color.
    Cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Dragon's Eye, smaller and blooms later in the summer. A good plant.
    cindy

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

I don't have mine in alphabetical order, so will see what I can find to post here. And I always miss favorites...

(Spaccoast) Dream Catcher:

{{gwi:2124104}}

Dixie Rhythm:

{{gwi:2124105}}

Desperado Love

(Spacecoast) Devil's Eye:

{{gwi:2124106}}

Destined to See:

{{gwi:2124107}}

Donna Jack:

{{gwi:2124108}}

Dilemma:

{{gwi:2124109}}

Deliverer:

{{gwi:2124110}}

I'm sure I overlooked some, but there are always a lot. When I post to an alphabet, the ones that are named with the company (Spacecoast) or breeder (Westbourne's) I use the name following the company or breeder name. Hope that's okay with you. I will go back an add to the first three letters, but I have a lot of Bs and Cs.

kay

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Love Daisy! What a nice combo of light lavender and green throat! Darker Shade is so pretty too. Also love the gold ruffle on Darling Anita. Here are my two favorite C's:

Dick Bennett
    {{gwi:2124111}}

Delicately Yours whose colors are similar to Daisy but Daisy's green is much more intense which I like alot.

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Dovealicious
    Even though this is a 'southern' daylily, it does very well here. I have had it for several years. Increase is slow, but the blooms are worth it.
    cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Love that (spacecoast) Devil's Eye!!

Doomsday, or at least I am pretty sure.

It is the oldest daylily that I have registered in 1956,
    it came from my sister in laws mother's yard, and she had it a long time. It matches all parts of the description.

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Drop Cloth

Cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Discover Columbus

A gift plant from the one time that I attended a National Convention, ( it was held in Columbus, Ohio, that year )

I highly recommend going! It was beyond great.
    Cindy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peren.all,

I agree! I like to see duplicate posts of the same flower. I think it is cool to see what the plants do in each garden. I have seen several posts the past few weeks of Destined To See including the ones today. It is an oldie that I ordered to put in my garden this spring after I saw all of the pictures.

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Desert Moon is a small flower (not miniature) that does very well here.

9 years ago

Different Direction was new last spring but did very well for us. I hope it proves hardy as it is a southern-bred daylily. The blooms are large and flat.

9 years ago

Dr Jules Michael Vinkman is a lovely daylily. It is one of my favorites.

9 years ago

Dragon Seeker is a diploid. We usually don't grow many dips, but this was sent as a bonus plant. We always plant such daylilies, just to see what they are like. We like this well enough to keep it. Jamie Gossard's daylilies do so well for us.

9 years ago

We don't grow Double Discovery, but we photographed it on a tour during the Region 2 summer meeting in 2013. We thought it was neat.

9 years ago

Here's another one we don't grow but this is on my want list. Divine Secrets was photographed on a tour (Ohio) during the Region 2 summer meeting in 2013.

9 years ago

Dragon Sun was also photographed on the Region 2 tour in 2013.

• Billi
    9 years ago

Hi Sherry!
    I did see that and I think my reply got swallowed up by all the wonderful pictures. I haven't got many DL as I am just starting out, but my parents have been growing them for years. Unfortunately we don't get a lot of the ones people have been putting on here. I guess it's because of postages costs and the different climate zones.

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Dragon Dreams

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

billy goats gruff. Run while you can! If you are just starting out, your addiction hasn't overtaken you yet. All of the enablers (and I have joined the ranks) will post the beautiful blooms and before you know it, you will see some you can't resist..."I need to lose a few pounds." And the lily auction will do you in fast. But, it is a healthy hobby, and very rewarding when you see those beautiful blooms in your garden. Welcome to the addiction.
    kay

• Billi
    9 years ago

Kay-
    I think I may already be trapped in the daylily web. My wishlist is growing every day! It's just lucky that we're slightly limited here as to what is available or my list would be a hundred times longer.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I liked this one in particular as the colors were so pure. No mud in them.....This is Dixie Ayers.....Maryl {{gwi:2124112}}

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Ah, billy goats gruff, so you have built in "restraint" ...but I seem to have seen some real beauties from Australia...it was 2 or 3 years ago, and there were a few that was absolutely gorgeous...keep looking, you are bound to find them...and if you have really been caught, you won't quit until you do. Fun though, isn't it? The hunt and the anticipation is fun, then getting then planted in your garden and finally seeing them in your garden is special.

kay

• Billi
    9 years ago

Kay-
    We do have some stunners. Queensland Red is on my wishlist. Perhaps it's more a case of "you always want what you can't have". I'm going to start doing online order once I've got all the plants that I'm after from our local nursery.

Billi.

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Doma Knaresborough
    {{gwi:2124113}}

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

So many beautiful flowers! I am really enjoying this. Here's 2 more D's: Do the Twist, and Double Tour Time.
    Brad

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I'm seeing some more I really NEED!
    Here are some of mine
    De Colores
    {{gwi:664397}}

Delia O'Bryan Brown
    {{gwi:664396}}

Dilemma

Dr. Jerold Corbitt, not a great photo
    {{gwi:2124114}}

Dumortieri, not a gorgeous daylily, but the first to bloom in my garden, usually in April about a month before Stella
    {{gwi:664400}}

And finally, Dutch Art
    {{gwi:664399}}

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brad,
    What app do you use to post your pictures? Yours always download immediately without fail. I have noticed that photo bucket doesnt seem as reliable, takes a long time or only shows info lines to click on alot of the time. Havent tried any apps yet, just trying to figure out what is most reliable.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Sherry,
    I use a small, free photo editor called Irfanview which never fails! I have it set to default for photos. I open up a file [stored on my computer], resize it from about 1200 pixels to 500, add the text, save, and then create a panoramic view. Each photo takes a couple of minutes to edit, a couple of minutes to make the panoramic view, and it uploads really quickly as well. Resize and panoramic view are in the drop down box labeled image, and the text under edit. So easy.
    You can get Irfanview and its plugins at majorgeeks.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/irfanview.html
    for the program, then do a search for the plugins in the search box, upper right corner.
    Brad

• Nancy
    9 years ago

So many daylilies on this thread I love! Darla Anita is great most of the time, but seems like every 3rd year or so she is off. I especially love S. Devil's Eye, but also Dragon's Knife, Dick Bennett, Dr. J>M> Vinkman, Dixie Ayers & Do the Twist. Great job everyone.

Photobucket just doesn't seem as good for posting as it used to be. The "improvements" they make don't work well for me. I've noticed lots of times I open a thread & there are clickable links, next time I open the thread the pic is there. I assume a good part of my problem is my antique computer. Got a new laptop for Christmas & it died within a couple of days :(

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

I enjoyed looking thru the Ds. I have several and will not repost.

On another note I love the Dr. J.M. Vinkman photo. So delicate looking.

9 years ago

Surprised no one posted Double River Wye. I like the soft yellow and find it quite beautiful.

• netcub
    9 years ago

Diane Carol Davis

• signet_gw(6b)
    9 years ago

Some of the "d's " that I grow.

this is Diabolique

• marricgardens
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was going to buy Double River Wye a few years ago but the seller talked me out of it because she thought there were a lot of better flowering ones out there. How well does it do for you? Signet, do you know the names of #3 and #5? marg

• signet_gw(6b)
    9 years ago

Hi Marg, sorry I thought I posted all pics with names on them I was going to post more pics but i was having problems posting last nite due to my server . I just kept trying to post pics and the server determined which ones were accepted not me . Frustrating !

The third daylily is Daring Dilemma and the fifth one is Dashing Prince ( they look similar but are different daylilies ). I will try again now to post the other few "D" daylilies I had tracked pics down for now . Here is a better pic of Diabolique ( a Lambert daylily)

another Lambert daylily !!

9 years ago

marricgardens Double
    River Wye put on a really good performance last year. There was a nice succession of bloom for weeks. It will be on its third
    year in my garden this year so I will look forward to having 2 periods of bloom this year.

It also blooms reliably in a pot. The color is just so pure, I love the pale yellows that are not washed out looking.

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Signet, I really like Dashing Prince. Thanks for the info re Double River Wye. I'll have to get it. marg

• signet_gw(6b)
    9 years ago

Hi Marg, Yes it is a pretty bloom .....and worth growing . not sure if you wanted to do a trade this spring but if you do this could be one that is included in the trade Email me and lets "talk" .

Signet

• shive
    9 years ago

Lots of pretty D's! I think Destined to See is my favorite D's. I don't have many that start with that letter.

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Signet, I've forgotten how to send a personal message on this forum. Do you know how? I'd love to trade, maybe we can do something! marg

• signet_gw(6b)
    9 years ago

Hi Marg, I dont have a clue .There are still too many frustrating things on this new setup . Just email me privately at dirtundermyfingernails123@yahoo.com I am sure we can work something out . .By the way , Nova Scotia Daylilies has Double River Wye for $6 bucks ( if you order 5 $8 plants you get them all for $30 bucks works out to $6 bucks each .....what a deal! ) p.s. I dont work for Nova Scotia daylilies i just buy from them .

Signet