Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

"A" daylilies, post your pictures!

Here we go, the daylily alphabet post begins! Post your favorites beginning with the letter A. Expect a new post every other day.
Mine is Autumn Minaret, an oldie. This daylily had 36 scapes this past season with an average of 24 buds per scape. That means it had 864 blooms this past season! I think I got my moneys worth.

Sherry

Comments (44)

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Aegean Wind, a nice later blooming Hanson.
    Cindy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

What a nice tall statement with Autumn Minaret Sherry. ...I love yellow daylilies and the color and form of this Daylily, All In Ruffles (Carpenter) was one of my favorites. However, I couldn't seem to keep it going over winter in a pot, even after 3 tries.....Maryl
    All in Ruffles {{gwi:671446}}
    A nice pale peach daylily Athena's Gift (Moldovan){{gwi:2124402}}
    Nice form on America's Most Wanted (Carr), but not colorfast
    {{gwi:2124403}}

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Here's my three: Amethyst Art is so beautiful, It is a very neat double [[I typically don't like doubles]. Acclaim looks very nice next to Fuchsia's Dream, and Abundant Joy is my 10 year old daughter's favorite.
    Nice daylilies so far everyone. Aegean Wind is so beautiful, gotta put it on my wish list!
    Brad

This post was edited by readdream on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 9:06

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

This is Adorable Tiger. It is absolutely gorgeous, but we have a lot of trouble keeping it growing. It is potted and in the greenhouse this winter.

9 years ago

After the Bite is a big vigorous plant.

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I have Autumn Minaret too, a nice oldie, although I don't think mine has ever that as many buds as yours. I think mine spends too much energy multiplying! I've given away tons of it, composed some, & still have 3 huge clumps.
    I like Aegean Wind, I like Hansons, they seem to do very well for me.
    I really like All in Ruffles & America's Most wanted. They look so similar, maybe they are related. too bad AMW isn't colorfast.
    Here are mine
    Alien Contact

All Fired Up usually is rather washed out looking, but it had nice color this year, always reblooms, just a nice daylily

Annabelle's Blush isn't multiplying that fast so far, but it sure blooms well

Arnold's Daughter normally has more color, but I really liked the look of this one with the extra petal

9 years ago

Aliquippa isn't very tall but has a lovely bloom.

9 years ago

All of My Love to You has done very well for us.

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Autumn Wood is a reliable late blooming daylily.
    I do like the picture of Arnold's Daughter.
    Adorable Tiger is a bold daylily!
    Cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Ashwood Inferno, Not such a good picture, but what a great daylily. It was new last year, but the bold color is a standout, It also doubled it's fans the first year.
    I need to go do battle with photobucket , so I can post more than one, I wish gardenweb would be set up for more than one image per post.
    cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Aztec Headdress
    {{gwi:2124404}}

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Algebra of Darkness

{{gwi:2124405}}

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

Always Afternoon

{{gwi:2124406}}

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Everyones daylilies look so good..... Ashwood Inferno is on my long list and I'm so happy to see a picture of it. How does that vibrant color hold? Norris is usually pretty good with his colors not fading much......That picture of Autumn Woods is wonderful, and I also was taken with All Fired Up. Nice color combination.........Maryl

• katlynn719
    9 years ago

My favorite "A" daylily in 2014 was ALL AMERICAN CHIEF.
    {{gwi:2124407}}
    It is an excellent all around performer, has a large bloom and is my favorite color.
    Kathy

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

What a wonderful way to start the New Year. Everyone's daylilies are so lovely! Because I do not have the space to grow all the daylilies that I want to, it is so nice to see them in blooms here. THank you for posting!

Here are two of my favorite "A" daylilies:
    Acquired the FIRE
    {{gwi:2124408}}

Aztec Beauty

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with Kousa, this is a great way to start the new year! I have limited space in my garden and really enjoy seeing all the blooms! Cindy, I really like your Aegean Wind, i am liking the pastel colors more, and dlpsych Aztec Headdress. Maryl love All In Ruffles. Brad, love Amethyst Art and it sounds like you have a future gardner at your house! Nan, I like All Of My Love To You. Marric, love Algebra Darkness, wonder how they came up with that name. Ngraham Arnolds Daughter Is really cool! Does it get extra petals often? Kathy, All American Chief is a stunner! Kousa really like Aquire the Fire! Keep the pictures coming!

Sherry

• dspack
    9 years ago

American Freedom

• dspack
    9 years ago

Apricot Sparkles

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

I will add the old classic Anzac.

This post was edited by Peren.all on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 12:42

9 years ago

Another pic of Always Afternoon

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peren.all
    I have had this daylily in my yard for over 20 years and have no idea what it is. Do you think it could be Anzac?

Sherry

9 years ago

It certainly looks likely. The blooms are 7" and scapes are approx. 28".
    It blooms well and reliably every year.
    Over the years I have noted that after blooming, when I have pulled off any nasty looking leaves, it sends up fresh foliage VERY quickly. Sound like familiar characteristics?
    It was introduced by Parry in 1968

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks peren.all, your description matches what I see here. I have it planted on the north side of my home, it is in the shade. The shade doesnt seem to affect its growth or flowering. The flowers stay nice and red and dont fade at all. The foliage will get a little ratty after it blooms, think I will do some vigorous leaf removing after it blooms next season. When I started my gardens I wasnt interested in the names, just the pretty!

Sherry

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

A few more for A. Ashwood Summer Sunshine
    New this past summer, but I love it.
    Cindy

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Auntie Em , another Hanson

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Autumn Concerto
    An auction win three years ago, and it is a stand out in the garden.
    Cindy

• Nancy
    9 years ago

I'm really enjoying seeing all these photos, really brightening these dreary, cold days. I've admired Aztec Headdress since I first saw it, and All American Chief looks like it is really bloomin' its head off! Great photo of Aztec Beauty, & I really like the look of Autumn Concerto

Nancy

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

I had forgotten about this. Love seeing all the pretty pics.

Cindy, that is a outstanding photo of Autumn C. with the companion plants!!

I added All American Chief this Fall. I have a good picture of it on a flash drive that I took at the Western Botanical Garden. It is awesome in a clump.

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

Here is another new to me Aliens in the Garden.

• User
    9 years ago

Absolute Treasure
    {{gwi:2124409}}

Adair
    {{gwi:2124410}}

Antique Fringe
    {{gwi:2124411}}

• del_s
    9 years ago

Arctic Lace.

• tsbccowboy
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2124412}}
    Angel Chiffon

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Bloombuddie, I really like Absolute Treasure and Adair.
    Brad

• marricgardens
    9 years ago

I love Angel Chiffon!

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

Awesome Candy is awesome.

• Cindy zone 6a
    9 years ago

This has been good as it has caused me to organize my pictures from last summer.
    this is Aragon, an early bloomer.
    cindy

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, Aliens in the Gardens is so striking! I love its color. Is the coloring similar to Creatures of the Night, bluegrassmom?

Arctic Lace did really well for me too. Karen

• Bluegrassmom
    9 years ago

I will have to wait and see. I planted it this past Fall. Creatures of the Night is a very dark purple. I am not sure it is that shade.

I like Gossard plants they do well for me.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

awesome blossom

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

So nice to see blossoms and forget the cold outside. I love Aliens in the Garden, and Cindy, that is a beautiful photo of Autumn Concerto. That photo of Awesome Blossom is lovely too, an Sherry, I never met a red I didn't like, so I like that one and would keep it whether I knew it's name or not. When I got my first daylilies, I just wanted pretty blooms, and the red still grows in my garden. I too love Aztec Beauty Kousa, and although I downsized quite a few daylilies this year, that one stayed.

Aslan is a new favorite, this was it's second year. this is a rebloom and the re-blooms were prettier than the first ones:

{{gwi:2124413}}

Abilene Lilian is a similar color combination:

{{gwi:2124414}}

and the Band Played On:

{{gwi:2124415}}

And this one was a very slow starter, but has really become a lovely, good bloomer, Alien Contact:

{{gwi:2124416}}

I have a number of others but these are my favorites

kay

• Billi
    9 years ago

Amanda's Intrigue flowered for the very first time today. I definitely like the soft lavender pink and yellow edge.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lovely flower, Billi! It is nice to know you are enjoying your garden now and sharing them with all of us in our winter cold! Hope you will post yours as they bloom

Sherry

• Billi
    9 years ago

I don't have many yet ( I think only 12 plants) but they're certainly busy. My collection is slowly growing :)