Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Benz daylilies - Which ones you do grow?

Posted by juliany 6 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 8:57

I'm thinking (just thinking at this point) to add a few more Benz daylilies. I grow only 2 right now, ARCTIC BLAZE and EMPEROR'S CHOICE. Both of which do great here.

Which ones do you grow? Recommendations?

Thanks
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Benz daylilies - Which ones you do grow?

Hi Julia,

He does have some beauties, and I plan to own a couple more of them as they become a little less dear.

The only one I currently grow is Barney. It does well here, and Rita grows it too, so it does well on Long Island also.

I have seen Jean's pics of it too, so it does well for her.

Othr than
Barney, I don't grow any.
kay

o

I received Peace Dove this past summer and, although it has settled in well here, I won't know about how it blooms until later this year.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 11:42

Hi Julia. I grow Aramis. It forms a nice clump, high bud count.
Aramis clump

Aramis

o
cherry sundae

Cherry Sundae is an older Benz red. Nice green throat; nothing to get excited about.

o

So, do they get to the registered heights? I looked up all the ones mentioned so far.

Any others?

Julia

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 8:17

Aramis is listed at 2'6". I think mine may be a bit taller than that, never measured it tho.

o

I grow a few- Andrew Christian a fabulous yellow that makes everything else pop, Velvet Thunder a delicious burgundy, Janet Benz a sweet pink. All have fantastic bud counts and great presence. I plan to add more and more recent ones.

Heidi

o

Heidi: What zone are you in? JANET BENZ was one I was thinking about. I have a soft spot for pinks.

Marric: Sounds like it is a tall one which is always a plus for me.

Julia

o

Julia,

We're practically neighbors, I live in a NW suburb of Philadelphia! Janet Benz is a rosie pink, not a clear baby pink. Been here about three years and always loaded with blooms.

Heidi

o

Julia,

We're practically neighbors, I live in a NW suburb of Philadelphia! Janet Benz is a rosie pink, not a clear baby pink. Been here about three years and always loaded with blooms.

Heidi

o

The Benz intros I grow are older: EMERALD GLOW, very pretty, with a nice green throat; LAST MAN STANDING, a bitone that's late; a few others, but all registered in 2000.

I've always meant to get some newer ones, so I'll be interested in seeing what people here recommend.

Heidi, I'm north and east of Philly.

o

Lynxe,

I'm in Willow Grove, maybe we could meet in bloom season and enjoy each other's gardens.

Heidi

o
Imperial Lemon

Imperial Lemon is Harris-Benz. Sorry I don't have a better picture. It is a great yellow that has earned its longevity in the garden.

o

I do grow several Benzs. They do well in my Zone 5b zone. They are braided lightning, brave ulysses, bristling fury[hasn't bloomed yet], barney, celestial splender, emperors choice,hot pink beauty, janet benz, midnight heat, magnificent pink frisbee, one step beyond, oh great one, pinnacle pink, red grace, shirley's romance,vision of glory, velvet thunder,versuvian,walking tall...My gosh, I didn't realize I had so many Benzs...Love them all...cheers, lloyd...His Pinks are outstanding IMO....

o

bluenosens: Do they get to the registered height? I'm starting to look the names up you and the others have posted. I've seen a couple of pics of VISION OF GLORY, but can't tell if it really blooms the way the hybridizer photo shows. Your opinion?

Heidi: Good to know your zone info for comparison. I'm in Upstate NY near Seneca Lake (Finger Lakes). A rose pink is still pretty :-). Got any pics?

lynxe: Do yours get to the registered height?

mantis: I can see it really pops in color. It reminds me of EMPEROR'S CHOICE, although I think IMPERIAL LEMON looks a bit taller.

I wish I could afford the newest intros but at $100 for a SF, I think I'll have to wait and look at the past intros.

As an FYI, if anyone knows where BARNEY can be gotten at a "reasonable" price, let me know.

Julia

o

Vison of Glory had its first blooms this summer and was paler than the pics. I would expect it to be darker this coming summer. Several of the Benz here take a couple of years to get to full heights. My Barney[yet to bloom] came from Bonibrae in Ontario, Canada. If you like a great pink try Oh Great One......cheers, lloyd

o

Hi, Julia, sending along a couple of pictures of Imperial Lemon, the only Benz (Harris-Benz) we have. We love this daylily, one of our favorites. Avedon

Photobucket

Imperial Lemon Row--there are three clumps in this row.

Photobucket

Imperial Lemon single

o

You should add some they are great plants! I have 20 and always want more.

o

I have a bunch but most are so new that they haven shown their best yet. Imperial Decree was awesome this year. I look forward to seeing bloom on Arctic Bear and Spartan Warrior.

Imperial Decree photo Daylily-ImperialDecree01.jpg

o

I only have one and it is too new to judge performance. But I think it is a beauty - RUBY LIPSTICK -

Kathy

o

How could I have forgotten RUBY LIPSTICK? I have it, too, but I probably left it out because it's newer and is still settling in. Ditto on VISION OF GLORY. Many, many thanks to a generous person who hangs out here and had them for sale.

BTW I agree that VISION OF GLORY is paler than images would lead one to expect, but, like I said, my plant is newer. I don't know whether that affects color.

And I've had ARAMIS and VESUSVIAN for years. I've probably left others off my list as well. This is what happens when one relies on memory!

julia, I'm guilty of rarely checking my plants against their registration info, so I can't tell you anything particularly accurate. EMERALD GLOW is registered as 34", and mine certainly seems fairly tall, if my memory is any guide. LAST MAN STANDING spent too many years in a pot, so we'll have to wait on that one.

I just ordered ARCTIC CLIPPER and LIFE OF THE PARTY. Two more from 2000...ha! I seem stuck in time. But they were on sale, and they're registered as being very fragrant, rebloomers, with good to great bud count, and, for the former, in a color I don't have much of. The latter is yellow, and I like yellow daylilies.

proteinqueen, a meetup sounds good to me! We're pretty close to each other, actually.

o

Here is a picture of Arctic Clipper from this year.

photo Daylily-ArcticClipper02.jpg

o

Wow I don't have ruby lipstick or arctic clipper but now I think I might try and find them! Beautiful pictures

o

Great suggestions all. Still looking them up.
Avedon, that clump shot is wonderful.:-).

Julia

o

We have grown many Benz plants over the years. We still have quite a few around. We used to buy his collections, but they have gotten so expensive, and there are so many plants in each collection that are of no interest to us, so we now select just a few. We no longer get to use his toothy creations as they are generally sold in the collection only. We hate that, but there are so many toothy plants out there that we consider to have much clearer color. So many of the Benz toothies were extremely difficult pod parents.

Ruby Lipstick has been spectacular here. We have sold it down to one or two fans on several occasions and it just keeps springing back. Like someone else here commented, we love his pinks. Janet Benz is a true classic, we believe it will be around for a long, long time.

Dale
"snowbirding" on the Alabama Gulf Coast

o

I only have a few Benz and none have been here for very long but so far they all perform well for me.
Here's some pictures from last summer...
Celeste

Dreaming of Rainbows
Dreaming of Rainbows

Barney
Barney

Jurassic Eye
Jurassic Eye

Lilac Surprise
Lilac Surprise

Shades of Summer
Shades of Summer

o

It is too early to know the full plant habit but the bloom on Voluptuous Beauty is the best pink I have...and that's saying something.

Voluptuous Beauty photo Daylily-VoluptuousBeauty02.jpg

o

oh how i love that pink!

o

So far I've ordered OH GREAT ONE and VISION OF GLORY from Rich Howard - ctdaylily. I decided I didn't want to bother with auction sales and getting into a bidding frenzy so went to some sellers sites that I've heard good things about.

Still looking, list is growing but being good and pacing myself :-).
Thanks for all the photos.

Julia

o

Hello - Mikhail, Russia, Moscow
My some daylilies John Benz

BLOODRAYNE

This post was edited by Mikhail-A on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:35

o

BRIGHT CHRISTMAS

This post was edited by Mikhail-A on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 11:14

o

DARK TERRITORY

o

NIGHT FLYER

o

PERFECT PINK PORCELAIN

o

RASPBERRY SORBET

o

RUBY LIPSTICK

o

SILVER SURFER

o

SPARTAN LAW

o

Thank you Mikhail for the photos of your Benz daylilies. What growing zone are you in Russia in comparison to US Zone chart?

Julia

o

I have some clips daylilies of John Benz (video)

please,

BARNEY
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=5oif0ew4ov.5125
BLOODRAYNE
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=4av7muey1b.4011
DARK TERRITORY
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=qa39ultto1.4304
OPEN RANGE
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=wstvxw81yw.4317
PERFECT PINK PORCELAIN
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=xdw15gre91.4013
RASPBERRY SORBET
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=02cmka28wn.2309
SILVER SURFER
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=5qdr0bu7k0.7108
SPARTAN LAW
http://www.moscow-daylilies.ru/show.php?video&id=fk1o5uehaj.7024

Mikhail, Russia, Moscow

o

Thanks to you, Mikhail, I've just added PERFECT PINK PORCELAIN and BLOODRAYNE to my wish list. Your BLOODRAYNE is even more beautiful and more interesting than I'd realized. Spasibo! :)

o

lynxe: I've been thinking about PPP and I know that Blue Ridge has it. :-).

Julia

o

Perfect Pink Porcelain has excellent form. I hope the performance lives up to the registered numbers. I have used it for hybridizing.

Perfect Pink Porcelain

o

Anyone grow GLISTENING PORCELAIN? Pics?

Thanks
Julia

o

I ordered 'Cheddar Cheese' from Earlybird because I remember it from Rita's photos last summer. I hope it will be as good as it looked.

Celeste

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here