Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Countdown to spring

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

The countdown to first day of spring is at 58 days or 8 weeks approximately. 2013 ended sadly for me as one of my siblings passed away just before Christmas. Time to move forward to a new year and focus on the arrival of spring and getting back outside and working in the garden.:-).

{{gwi:648582}}

{{gwi:648583}}

{{gwi:648584}}

{{gwi:648585}}

{{gwi:648586}}

{{gwi:648587}}

{{gwi:648588}}

{{gwi:648590}}

{{gwi:648591}}

{{gwi:648592}}

{{gwi:648593}}

Marmalade can't wait to sit on the porch again ;-)
{{gwi:648594}}

Julia

Comments (10)

• booberry85
    10 years ago

So sorry to read about your sibling passing, My condolences.

We have a cold week ahead of us here. Thank you for the pictures. They are a reminder of what spring & summer will be.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Am so sorry about your sibling passing away.I'm sure it made for a very sad Christmas this year for you, but wont be long till we will have beautiful blooms again and garden work to do.Your gardens are so pretty. love that red flower in picture # 2. and that clematis is gorgeous.Your Tulips are very pretty, too..You have such a pretty place with the flower gardens every where. love it.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss, Julia. Your beautiful photos are bringing me out of my winter doldrums and have me looking forward to spring.

What are you adding to the garden this year?

Chris

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the comments. We got through the holidays okay and having my children here with us made for a special holiday.

Another snow event is suppose to happen this weekend here along with the temps bottoming out again mid week. What were they saying about global warming? LOL.

Julia

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nothing new this year Chris. Hubby and I sat down and looked at what "musts" have to be done this year which includes a new roof on the house, driveway repairs and the list goes on.

I'm behind on dividing some of the "over grown" clumps and also plants I promised last year to some folks but with the hand out of commission for a few months last year,hopefully I can focus on that this spring plus all the weeding/mulching that did not get finished last fall. I'm just waiting to see what made it through this winter as it has been a tough one so far.

What about you? Any new ones for you?

Julia

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Well, I've been downsizing the past few years and being much more particular about which plants get to stay here. So far, I haven't ordered anything new but will probably add some new Hansons when they're available. I planted a few last fall (which I don't normally do), including Hanson's Elizabeth Peacock. I have my fingers crossed that she survives this awful winter.

Chris

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I am also sorry for your loss. I hope that time will ease your pain and grief. Thank you for postiing beautiful photos of your lovely gardens and flowers despite everything that happened.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris: This winter may do the culling for a lot of us.

kousa: Keeping busy always moves us forward through tough times and that is what I'm doing.

I'm wondering how many of us will choose a "white" flower this year after this winter LOL.

Julia

• wren_garden
    10 years ago

Condolences Julia, I am one of 4 and know how precious our siblings are. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your beautiful garden. A real ray of hope in this long harsh winter. My garden is in WNY near Niagara Falls. The single digit temps with high sustained winds is putting the zone worthy to the test. The snow has been a blessing and I heap every shovel full I can on the beds. The roses will get a real buzz cut pruning this year. The Daylilies under the snow, I hope, are snug and asleep. The only ones that are a concern are the ones in raised beds. My garden is in the same state as yours. No room for new unless I give away some old. It will be hard not to have a new one to look forward to. I have been staying off the growers web sites. I wish you the healing power of your garden.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wren-garden: I hope this week will be the last week of very cold temps. With all the wind we had, a lot of the snow that was covering the beds is slowly getting blown into the fields. Other spots are 2 feet of drifts.
    I am grateful for the sunshine we've been getting but I hear that snow is in the forecast for the end of the week again. :-(.
    Stay warm.
    Julia