Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl929

How many are too many?

flowergirl929
11 years ago

I finally put all my newest buys and all my already in the ground daylilies all on one list and the total is 1551. I thought seeing the total might make me stop but I bought two more yesterday. I think 2000 should be the stopping point no matter what.

Comments (16)

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The one with the water on it is Destined to See.

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a seedling and I think it's just so pretty!

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can you tell that Destined to See (pictured first here) is one of it's parents?

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

WOW, that's a lot of daylilies. How long have you been growing daylilies? Destined to see seems to pass on a lot of traits to its kids. I love your seedling! Marg

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This summer will be my 3rd year of having daylilies as a business but I've been gardening since I was 10 years old. 40 years of loving the smell of spring and watching the seeds emerge still seems like a miracle. I had 20 or so different dayliles that I grew in my yard. When I had the opportunity to buy and move an entire 800 clump (or more) collection I jumped in with both feet. It took 2 years to move them all but now I can concentrate on the fun part.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

It is just stunning, I think you should really try to go past your goal of 2000!!! I thought my yard could never hold more than 400, but I am now past that.
    Nothing more beautiful than a bed of blooming daylilies! Your seedling is nice.
    Cindy

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

I think that the right number of daylilies is whatever number you have space for and the energy to take care of them. Your garden looks beautiful so I'd keep going if I were you. Destined to See is one of my favorites and your seedling is a beauty.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Your garden is beautiful. You have a lovely seedling...Destined to See is a beauty, and it pased that to your seedling.

Too many? Not as long as you have the room, the energy to cre for them and the money to buy them. Go for it!

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Great pics. Loved seeing all those daylilies and of course your seedlings. If you can manage 2000 or more, go for it. We get the easy part by viewing your lovely photos.

Julia

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know that I will not be able to quit at this point and 2000 will be coming around sooner than later! I will have to try and pace myself though. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.
    thanks, theresa

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

well,I am like every one else here.never too many daylilies, as long as you have a place to grow them and able to take care of them.Yours is gorgeous, and the seedling is great, Very prettty.

Jean

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I love your seedling. I told myself that 300 was enough. I don't actually have a very big yard. Then we took out the hedge row....I am now just shy of 400, not counting the seedlings that I have at my Dad's house until evaluation (he has 5 acres). But I'm at the point that if one comes, one has to go-including if I keep a seedling and move it home. Dad is over 1000 now, but I don't know exactly what the current count is-again have to also add his seedlings.
    If you have the time and the energy-go for it. lol You can always slowly downsize when you get older.

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know why the pull towards daylilies is so strong. I have always loved flowers and have been growing flowers and plants my whole life. I can tell you that I just love them and it's always so much fun to add a new one. I even enjoy making a new tag for the new addition. I really need a life!

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Does 1551 include seedlings, or is that just registered plants?

I've got 40-something registered plants, and over 100 seedlings.

Nate

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is the exact number of registered plants! I hope to NOT add any more for a while.

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

Very pretty seedling! I'm going the other way ... I had over 400 cultivars and 200 +/- seedlings, now I am cutting back on the named cultivars to make more room for seedlngs.

I no longer have the energy or time to keep adding gardens and plants. So each year now, I am making sure I get rid of more than I add.

So I agree, the number is irrelevant as long as you can take care of them.