Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

OT - Snow, Birds and Marmalade :- )

Julia WV (6b)
11 years ago

I'm not sure how this post is going to show since I uploaded photos to the Photobucket beta version.

Pics during the snowstorm we had the day after Christmas
{{gwi:651389}}

{{gwi:651390}}

Pics from Sunday's second round of cleanup. Love the snowblower as it throws the snow out away from the edges of the driveway but when the winds pick up, more snow drifts back again.
{{gwi:651391}}

{{gwi:651392}}

{{gwi:651393}}

{{gwi:651394}}

{{gwi:651395}}

Our birdfeeders have been very active. I took these through our windows. Some pics not so clear but I think you get the idea.
{{gwi:651397}}

{{gwi:651398}}

{{gwi:651400}}

{{gwi:651402}}

{{gwi:651403}}

{{gwi:651405}}

{{gwi:651407}}

{{gwi:651409}}

And lastly, Marmalade (the cat who showed up on our porch before Thanksgiving), who decided to stick around and slept all day yesterday in the mudroom. She is a very gentle and friendly cat.

Julia

Comments (11)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Julia. Cold birds, all fluffed out. Marmalade's a pretty tortoiseshell, isn't she?

Especially like the tree picture. Maybe we will get a light snow this year. Sigh, Thanks for sharing.
    kay

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

I thought perhaps you had made marmalade! :) She is a very pretty cat. Your bird pictures are wonderful, I just love seeing the cardinals and bluejays, they contrast well with the white snow. Your snow pics are good! Even though I hate the snow, but I know it is needed. Looks like I have just about the same amount of snow as you do.
    Cindy

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Thanks JUlia for sharing your very pretty snow pictures,I really like that first one with the snow in them trees, sooo pretty.The little birds look like they are cold,well, some of them do, all fluffed out.The cat is very pretty cat, too.You certainly have a lot of snow for early winter.

Jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the photos. Yes, Marmalade is a tortoiseshell color per the vet. I just think of her as multicolored. Although she is not the color of marmalade, I liked the name. My husband calls her "Hello Kitty".LOL

Yesterday afternoon we attended a meeting and when we walked out it was snowing hard. That blinding snow when your high beam lights just make seeing worse. Unexpected and not the best conditions to be driving at night in. This morning it is still snowing. The weather person calls it flurries but I call it snow. Being by the lakes we are more apt to have lake effect snow.
    The predicted temps last night was to be single digits and today only in the low 20's. Good thing the gardens are covered with snow.

Julia

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Beautiful photos it sure makes me miss the snow LOL. I really like the bird photos and Marmalade sure looks nice and cozy it's wonderful that you gave her a home.
    Linda

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I have a "thing" for Torties and Marmalade is a beauty. 99.5% of all Torties are female and they are almost always exceptional cats with above average cat intelligence (she picked you didn't she?).......Around here we call the first bird in your picture "the monk bird" for obvious reasons. It's a Junco and we only see them when there is snow on the ground (which isn't that often). They probably are around other times too, just not as visible. And Cardinals just take your breath away with their merry red color against a white background. As to THAT background, you can keep it. As far as I'm concerned it can snow one day of the year - Christmas. Then it needs to be gone the very next day. But it does make for pretty pictures, as long as it's you that's enjoying it.....Maryl

• lesmc
    11 years ago

I have really enjoyed your beautiful snow pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. Lesley

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Those winter scenes sure are familiar! We have about the same amount of snow here. I actually would welcome more snow since my husband's business relies on snow revenue and the past 2 winters have been brutal on his business and our pocketbook. I'm not crazy about it personally, but it is 'white gold' to many. Plus, I do like it blanketing my daylilies over the winter.
    We have the same birds at our feeders as well. I so enjoy all the birds in the dead of winter. We have feeders everywhere, of every kind imaginable, and suet cakes too.
    My favorite feeder is the one right by my kitchen window where I can watch the birds up close while I do my dishes.
    My cats like to sit and watch them too and cures their winter boredom. I am always happy to hear that a kitty has found a loving home. Lucky Marmalade to show up at your doorstep! As I've mentioned before, I am jealous of all that land you have....just wonderful open space. I have too much of woods around me and not enough sunlight!

Celeste

• katlynn719
    11 years ago

Julia, Your photos look like Christmas cards and you have a beautiful home!
    Kathy

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments. Having so much open space is a blessing but also keeps us very busy. As we get older, the amount of time that is spent keeping things up to par gets harder so I need to keep my gardens under control. Nothing worse than letting weeds invade but I do enjoy gardening and weeding....odd huh?

The snow is melting, hurray. Our temps have gone back up into the mid 30's during the day and I'm starting to see the plant markers again and also all the rabbit tracks LOL.

Marmalade keeps us active for sure. What is it with cats. One day they stay inside all day sleeping and the next, don't show back up till 9:00PM. My husband says she is working late hours. I say, just don't bring any dead things up on the porch.

Julia

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Julia,
    Love your snow pictures. The first one is my very favorite. It looks like it should be a Christmas card. The bird pictures are great too. You seem to have quite a variety there. Marmalade looks so cozy resting up for another adventure.
    Val