Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katlynn719

Daylily Seedling Pics

katlynn719
12 years ago

By request, I thought I'd post some seedling pics. All of these seedlings were 2 years old last Spring. I kept all of these and moved them to new beds.

My favorite red cross last year was INSIDER TRADING X HEARTS OF FIRE. This one had 5 branches and 28 buds -

{{gwi:652382}}

Here is a better photo of the scape and buds -

{{gwi:652383}}

Here is the same cross, but a different plant with 5 branches and 27 buds -

{{gwi:652384}}

I crossed two of my favorite red spiders SPIDER MAN X THIN MAN and got predictable seedlings -

{{gwi:652385}}

I had one seedling that multiplied like crazy. It was 7 fans when I moved it last Fall. It is the dark purple seedling in the front of this pic TRAHLYTA X LAURA HARWOOD. The light colored seedlings behind it are all out of Orchid Corsage.

{{gwi:652386}}

My tallest red seedling was out of BITTERSWEET HOLIDAY X THIN MAN. Here it is with my "plant doctor" and lifelong Colt's fan -

{{gwi:652387}}

On the other side of the spectrum, I also had some short seedlings that I hope will make good "front of the border" plants. These were my favorites from SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION X TROPICAL SENSATION -

{{gwi:652389}}

{{gwi:652391}}

And the rest of these made the cut, but had unimpressive stats (hope springs eternal)...

(CHARLIE PIERCE MEMORIAL X INDIAN GIVER) X LIVING ECHOES

{{gwi:652392}}

LIVING ECHOES X ALWAYS TOMORROW

{{gwi:652393}}

FREE WHEELIN' X HELIX

{{gwi:652394}}

ROCK SOLID X LINDA SIERRA

{{gwi:652395}}

Kathy

Comments (22)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Beautiful seedlings. The first one is my favorite but I also really like the Charlie Pierce Memorial X Indian Giver seedling. I was going to use Orchid Corsage this summer. It's nice to see some of her kids. Thanks for posting. Marg

• bigack
    12 years ago

Love the last one!l

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh my! Some beauties there! Favs are LE x AT and RS x LS. I just love coming over here to see the pics. Living in a warm climate vicariously through this forum! :) Thank you, Kathy, for sharing your babies!

Ginny

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

oh wow, you have some beauties.I love the first one ALOT and also the last cross CHARLIE PIERCE MEMORIAL X INDIAN GIVER) X LIVING ECHOES. Thats a beauty, too.

Jean

• celeste/NH
    12 years ago

Congratulations on such beautiful babies! They are all wonderful. I haven't tried my luck at hybridizing just yet with daylilies but I see it in my future...LOL. It seems to yield such nice surprises from the pics I have seen on this forum. You have some beauties there and the bud count on the first one is outstanding. It is hard to pick a favorite but if I had to choose, my picks are the cross of Trahlyta x Laura Harwood (if it keeps multiplying like crazy and you 'need' to get rid of some of it I'm here for you...haha) and the cross of Living Echoes x Always Tomorrow. But they are all lovely and I enjoyed looking at them.

Celeste

• flowergirl929
    12 years ago

Oh you're killing me with those seedlings! They are all so beautiful it gives me hope I might get something nice out of all of the seeds I planted. I love the first one and the last one and I think all of the ones in between too! I never have been good at choosing.
    Thanks for letting us see your babies.

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Very nice Kathy. ROCK SOLID X LINDA SIERRA looks stunning in your photo. Is the light color a lavender or pinkish? The deep eye color along with the edging really stands out.

Congrats on a nice group.

Julia

• maximus7116
    12 years ago

Well, you sure have been hiding some beauties. I love (and would definitely purchase) the Trahlyta seedling and the cross between Living Echoes and Always Tomorrow. The color and watermark on the first are fantastic, and the pronounced veining on the second seedling really draws me in. Excellent job!

Chris

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marg, Orchid Corsage must have strong genes, because all my seedlings look like her but different colors.

bigack, The last seedling is from a group of seeds I bought on the Lily Auction. It was my first and only, thus far. I usually have more seeds than I know what to do with.

Ginny, You're more than welcome...glad you enjoyed the pics!

Jean, It will be interesting to watch these seedlings and how they perform after being moved to a new location.

Celeste, You will love hybridizing! It is a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun. There's something about growing a plant from a seed, that I find very gratifying.

flowergirl, I also have a difficult time choosing when I'm looking at blooms. But I have no trouble judging daylily plant habits. I like to choose my seedlings after they have all finished blooming...based soley on the plant and bud scars on the scapes. Then I go inside and look at the pics of the plants I've chosen. The pretty faces will make the first cut, but I rarely keep them for over 3 years if they don't perform.

Julia, I color of that seedling is more pink than lavender...mauve, maybe? The main reason I bought those seeds was that both parents are suppose to be rust resistant. But every one of those seedlings had rust last year. I am watching them closely and may cull them all this year.

Chris, I think that Trahlyta seedling may be a winner. It looks more like Laura Harwood, but taller and more of an unusual form. It's going to be fun to see how it performs in it's new full sun location.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Kathy

• houstmag
    12 years ago

WOW! what a great bunch of seedlings, I'll take one of each please.
    Linda

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Everyone is correct they are beauties, Thanks for your post. I do love beautiful flowers. I do not know too many people who would not love to have everyone of them in their yard also.
    Again Thanks

• dementieva
    12 years ago

It's encouraging that you have some spider pod parents (including FREE WHEELIN, which I also have). I didn't even try last year because I know they're supposed to be more difficult in general.

Nate

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, Thanks for the compliment...glad you enjoyed the pics!

wally, I appreciate your kind words! I love flowers too and this time of year photographs are a comfort.

Nate, I have pretty good success setting pods on Early bloomers (like Free Wheelin). After June 1, it becomes more difficult, even with the DL's that are planted in part shade. Having said that, there is always an exception - ORCHID CORSAGE is usually the last to bloom here ... and is growing in full sun... and is very, very fertile for me. Go figure!

Kathy

• Ed
    12 years ago

Nice group of seedlings Kathy.
    I've been close to getting INSIDER TRADING several times - shoulda!
    My LINDA SIERRA had rust this fall - disappointing.
    Ed

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Kathy: I think you need to send your rusty seedling of ROCK SOLID X LINDA SIERRA up here in the north. LOL.
    Hope it does better as it is such a shame to cull it.

Julia

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

I think the Linda Sierra seedling is a beauty too.

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

I love seeing seedlings and you really have some beauties. My favorite faces are the Trahlyta x Laura Harwood seedling and the Charlie Pierce Memorial seedling , but the Insider Trading is a beauty too and since I'm a bit of a performance nut that one would be my pick.
    Val

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ed, I would highly recommend INSIDER TRADING ...I've never seen any rust on it...and it's a good performer...and has a pretty bloom. If you can make room for it, I'd be glad to send you a couple of fans. Send me an email if you're interested.

Julia, I am keeping my fingers crossed about the LS seedlings. But last year was not a bad year for rust in my garden, so I'm not hopeful. We'll see how they do.

Lisa, Thanks! I had quite a few pretty seedlings from that cross, but that one is the best performer.

Val, Glad you enjoyed the pics. I agree with you about performance. Who wants to wait 5 years to see a daylily multiply to 3 fans with a bud count of 8? Pretty faces aren't everything.

Kathy

• shive
    12 years ago

Kathy - You have been holding out on us LOL! I love every one of those seedlings. The first two reds are gorgeous, and have outstanding stats as well. Living Echoes X Always Tomorrow's flower is wonderful in so many ways - color, veining, ruffles, etc. Just love that one. And what a fabulous blue eye and edge on Rock Solid X Linda Sierra!

Debra

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Debra...glad you enjoyed the pics...now it's your turn! I haven't been holding out - I simply can't remember what I've posted and what I haven't. I've been going through a bunch of folders with pics taken last year that I never bothered to resize. I know I haven't posted any of these. But so far, I haven't found any good daylily pics. I am determined to clean all these folders out before Spring. There is just way too much confusion with all these photo files.
    Kathy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Some of your seedlings look every bit as nice as some of the introductions I've seen from professional hybridizers. I particularly like the corduroy effect on the lavender daylily LExAT. In my climate at least, all the lavenders I've tried turned out to be more mauve then lavender/orchid, but yours certainly is a beauty in your climate. You must be a proud mama...Maryl

• katlynn719
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maryl, Thank you! I appreciate your comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. Most of the lavenders do well here, but I still haven't been able to grow a true pink.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH