Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Worked in the Garden Today

organic_kitten
11 years ago

Well, our severe weather is gone, and the day is beautiful It's a little cool, about 50, but beautiful and sunny. The silly hyacinths are already beginning to bloom, and the creeping phlox is also.

Today, I cut back the roses in the front (already beginning to put out new growth) and all of the butterfly bushes. About half of the daylilies are set for spring, but I have an enormous amount yet to do.

Since our average temps in the "winter" are 50s highs and 30s lows, It is often better to work in January or February than in July's heat.

I know that many of you are in the midst of real winter, but take heart...spring will be here.
kay

Comments (9)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

gee your roses are in a hurry.Mine has no new growth yet. but, I expect some very soon.I always cut mine back mid febuary,after valentine day.I did see a few dormant daylilies pushing through the soil with one or two fans trying to peak out.Looks like everything here is still sleeping.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am a good bit further South than you are, Jean. That probably explains it. My daylilies are trying to come up too. That is why I am so busiy working outside now...too much needs doing.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Yesterday we were at 60 degrees followed by rain last night and the winds picked up and didn't let up all day today. Got lake effect snow as we are back in the low 20's and heading down into the teens tonight. I doubt the groundhog will see his shadow on Saturday as they are predicting more snow showers. Unless of course he sees his shadow because of the flash on the cameras. LOL.

I envy you being able to work outside and already getting bulbs to bloom.

Julia

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Too cool here today to work outside, although wouldn't have been too bad if not for the wind. I have a few early daffs blooming, no hyacinths or phlox though. Hellebores are blooming nicely though.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Today's high is forecast to be 30, and the low is to be 16. I'd like to wait until later today, when the temp. should be lower, and then go out! I have overgrown shrubs that need pruning and rampant honeysuckle to be pulled. It's the deer ticks, you see - they are said to be inactive when the temperature's around 30, but some web sites have suggested it needs to be in the 20s.

The question is, where will I be able to walk? We had so much rain yesterday that I expect it will be very mucky.

When we had that cold snap a few days ago, I was outside every day. Two pairs of socks, two pairs of gloves, multiple layers on my body and then just soldiered on. I can't say it was loads of fun, and by the end, my feet were blocks of ice. For most of the time, though, it really wasn't so bad. Not so bad that I didn't go out the next day, and the next.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been back out the last couple of days. It's cool, but not too bad. I picked up the cut off limbs and cut a few more of the roses, this time in the back garden.

Nancy, I found the first daffs blooming today. It doesn't seem exactly like spring, but I guess it can't be far.

Lynxe, that is too cold for my blood...but deer ticks are scarey. The rain was pretty heavy, wasn't it? We're supposed to be 20s tonight, but by Sunday or at least Monday, it will be seasonal again (50s).

Still have a lot of pruning and cleaning up to do.

kay

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

It's soooooo cold here. I don't even like to go out to get into the car. I just keep dreaming of spring and telling myself that today one month of winter is over. lol

• lynxe
    11 years ago

kay, it's actually too cold for my blood, too. Ever since going near-vegan several years ago, I find I'm usually cold. Healthier, I hope, but cold. Is that TMI? Probably. :) I went outside for a bit yesterday but forgot a second pair of gloves; it was so cold out that I couldn't bear it for much more than about 15 minutes. But I'll probably go back outside today to do more work - looking, with all my layers on, rather like the Pillsbury doughboy. Or a walking blimp.

After reading about people's daffodils, hellobores, etc., I ran outside to check: nothing is in bloom here, although the hellebore foliage is pretty. The ground is now frozen solid, and it's hard to believe winter will end.

It helps to pass the time with plant catalogs and books on gardening. :)))

• crackingtheconcrete
    11 years ago

I have a few daylily leaves pushing up, but it's generally too.cold at night for weather confusion on the part of my plants. lol
    I DID have a yellow ruffled iris bloom outside at Christmas. Totally unexpected, but I'll take it :)