Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
True lavender color

Posted by paula_in_pa z6 SEPA ChesCo (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 14:56

Hi all,

I was reminded today when my Oakes catalog arrived about my forgotten quest to find out about this. I bought from them Lilting Lavender and Wilson Spider because of the lavender and purple/yellow colors advertised. So, these are actually magenta. It seems that's a common dilemma with other gardeners.
I love these two daylilies nonetheless.

What am I missing to get lavender on these two? Soil PH? Temperature? I guess the suppliers are exempt from color guarantees...who knows what is regarded as 'lavender'. :-/

I suspect a true lavender and yellow may be out there but it is expensive??

Can anyone enlighten me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: True lavender color

Paula, True Lavender and purple has been part of my work on my Daylilies for years. This has been my experience. When looking up the information on a candidate the key word is Blue. If the Daylily is described as "Blue lavender" there is a greater chance of it being lavender and not orchid, magenta or pinkish. This goes for true pinks too. If it says "Blue pink" it is more likely not to be peach but real pink. Do not trust the color displayed on you computers monitor. You get a better read on the color by looking it up on Tinkers data base, plus more then one growers sight. Yes growing conditions do effect the color so there will be some chance involved. Best of luck.

o

It looks like you like the spidery ones. Here are some true blue lavenders of the narrow type: John Karl Seager and Angelus Blue Skies, English Lavender is a round one that is a true lavender.

Debra

o

I've grown Lilting Lavender for years. My soil PH is about 8. In the past 3 years color is very faded, I'm sure from our very hot temps. Other wise the color is a beautiful lavender.

o

I've known the publishers play with flower color in the the catalog photos for drama and I relied on the written description. So much for that. I was talking to someone yesterday and she suggests it's genetics - that I received plants with the dominant gene color rather than 'lavender' - being the recessive gene color.
Thanks, I will follow this helpful information!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here