Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Visit to Olallies in Vermont last summer (photos)

Posted by celestialrose zone 4/NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 26, 12 at 16:44

My husband and I took a motorcycle trip to Olallies in Vermont last July and I memorialized it with loads of photos that I've been saving to share over the winter. It was sweltering hot (in the 90's) that day so we were pretty much the only people there. Fortunately for my DH, they have lots of places to sit and cool off under umbrellas so that's where he stayed while I wandered around with my camera and notebook. I had never been to Olallies before, and even though their cultivars are on the simple side, it was a beautiful sight to see so many daylilies bursting with color. I could only purchase one daylily since we were on the motorcycle but I did take lots of photos. It was dug for me and we put it in the saddlebag with the tops peeking out...LOL. DH couldn't wait to get going home and the cool air on the 3-hour trip home on the bike felt good.

I wish I had been able to go back in the late summer to see their late-bloomers in bloom but we couldn't get away.
I know many of you, like myself, are mostly interested in their late bloomers. I ended up ordering some and will share their photos when they bloom this Aug/Sept. Thanks to Rita for turning me on to late-bloomers to extend my season.

Celeste

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

DH taking a nap in the shade while I wander around....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Now for photos of some of their cultivars that were blooming in July.....

VT Early Revival
VT Early Revival

VT Burgundy Star
VT Burgundy Star

Olallie Lady
Olallie Lady

VT Huge Yellow
VT Huge Yellow

VT Magenta Rose
VT Magenta Rose

Olallie Cheryl
Olallie Cheryl

VT Maddie's Magenta
VT Maddie's Magenta

I have so many more photos that I will have to do it in another post. (To be continued...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Visit to Olallies in Vermont last summer (photos)

Oh How Wonderful, daylily blooms to see.I would love to step in a place like that with so many blooming daylilies blooming, o see. I love that BURGUNDY STAR, gorgeous bloom, and thank you for taking the time to snap all the pictures and placing them here for us to injoy too, with you.

Jean

o

Jean, thank you for commenting. We just got an ice and snow storm overnight so it seems like a million years ago that I wandered around that beautiful garden. It was so hot that day, but I would take some of that warmth right now! It was truly a treat to be amidst all those beautiful flowers. I had saved the pictures for sharing in the winter, since I knew they would be appreciated more because we'd all be starving for beauty.

Celeste

o

Beautiful! I really love all the senic garden shots and views. It really is a shame that you could not get back for the late bloomers but seeing lots of daylilies like this is always fun no matter what. That first one, VT Early Revival is my favorite of the closeups. Thanks so much for sharing!

o

Celeste, It looks like heaven to me! It would be hard for me to leave a place like that...no matter how hot is was. Thanks for posting -
Kathy

o

I like the pink and white one in picture 6. The forest backdrop is lovely. What was once eschewed as "old fashioned" (taller scapes and narrower segments) has now returned as fashionable, though with more refinement.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 16:54

Perfect time to post sunny daylily fields. thanks for posting your visit.....Maryl

o

I was holding off viewing your two threads on the topic. I figured I'd savor each of them LOL.

Nothing more enjoyable than viewing all the color.
Thanks for sharing. Now, I'll wait a few days and view the other thread. Got to stretch out the viewing.;-).

Julia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here