Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

The mystery of the fragrant yellow noid

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I have had this pale yellow NOID for many years and I once shared it's photo here but I still don't know it's identity and it's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. I know it doesn't NEED a name to be worthwhile and treasured, but it continues to baffle me! Can any of you daylily detectives help? There are so, so many yellow daylilies of course, but it is the flower form and the strong and delicious fragrance that sets this one apart. I have looked high and low to find out what it is.....online research, books, daylily gardens, etc. but I still don't know it's name. Every year my daylily collection grows by leaps and bounds yet this daylily remains one of my favorites. If you could only take a whiff of it you would know why! It smells heavenly, very sweet and strong but not overpowering like true lilies do.
I have to say I prefer it's fragrance to my orientals!
It's form is very graceful too.... it reminds me of a butterfly in flight. I bought this as an end of summer bargain for $4 years ago, potted up with no name tag at a local nursery...it was just marked 'yellow'. My favorite NOID is fairly tall with slender scapes about 30 inches and is pale yellow with prominent white midribs. The blooms are about 6 1/2 inches across and it blooms for a long time, stretching out to about 6 weeks here in zone 4/5. It starts early-mid season. It is a dormant, dying back completely over the winter. Here are photos of it in case anyone has seen it and knows it's name. The biggest clue is it is super-fragrant and the scent is noticeable when you walk by it.
I would love to solve this mystery!

Celeste

{{gwi:653972}}

{{gwi:653973}}

{{gwi:653974}}

{{gwi:653975}}

{{gwi:653976}}

{{gwi:653977}}

view from behind...
{{gwi:653978}}

{{gwi:653979}}

{{gwi:653980}}

{{gwi:653981}}

This poly was enormous and looked like a star! It was 7 1/2 inches across. It was breathtaking.
{{gwi:653982}}

Comments (20)

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Autumn Oddity? It's by Harwood, 28", 5" http://nsdaylilies.com/Daylilies%20A/AUTUMN%20ODDITY.jpg

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

well,it certainly is a beauty,and I can see why you love it so much and want to know its name.Wish I could help you, but,I have no idea who it is.Hope some one can help you.

Jean

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Marg, I don't believe that could be it since that is listed as a very-late bloomer and mine actually starts early to early-midseason and is done blooming long before the lates start up. But thanks for the suggestion! I know it's going to be difficult finding out it's name.
    Jean, glad you think it's a pretty one too! I wish you could smell it. It has the nicest fragrance.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms, and fragrant? I don't blame you, I'd keep it too. No idea on the name.
    kay

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Is it noc/extended bloom? That is truly one of the loveliest yellow daylilies I have seen and the fragrance sounds divine! Do you recall how many years ago you bought it?

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Have you tried Tranquil Lake Nursery's list of very fragrant daylilies? There are lots of yellows listed, with stats, so maybe you might get lucky there. Avedon

• proteinqueenfccc
    11 years ago

It reminds me of Top Honors, which I had for awhile, sorry no photos anymore.

Heidi

• susanan_gw
    11 years ago

Looks and acts just like my Yazoo Elsie Hintson. You can find it in the AHS online database.Elsie smells as good as she looks.I wish I could say the same about my dog!

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

The coloring is similar to Atlanta Moonlight, though AM seems a bit rounder and the ruffles tighter.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANKS for the suggestions everyone. I checked out all of those mentioned but I don't think it's for SURE any of those, although mine does share similiar features and some are close. Yazoo Elsie Hintson maybe is the closest but the bloom size is way larger than mine at 8 inches. Mine is only between 6 - 6 1/2 inches and is an established clump I've had about 6 years. I don't notice it as being nocturnal but it's possible I overlooked that. There are so many yellows and so many look similiar...sigh. I may never know!

Celeste

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

Celeste, I was wondering if it might have been a seedling from the nurseries own hybridizing program and that's why it was labeled 'yellow' because it was not a registered plant? Think that might be it? If it is the case, you sure came out the winner on that one! Marg

• phaltyme21
    11 years ago

Oooooo this is BEAUTIFUL. Name or no name I wish it was
    in my garden. I would call it My Precious.

It will be interesting if you find the name.

Kay

• irish_rose_grower
    11 years ago

HI, what a pretty flower...and the fragrance sounds amazing.
    I was bored tonight, so i went to Tranquil lake and looked through their list. Here are some real possibilities.
    My tradition
    Moldovan Shinto Shrine
    West River Moon
    Wind Song (good pics on Daves garden)
    May May
    Lemon Lolly pop
    decatur Supreme
    Della Robbia
    Fragrant Light
    Golden Milestone
    Ice Follies
    Just suppose.

As for the height - i don't always go by what the hybridzier lists for the height - because i have noticed great variances in heights from hybridizer vs. my garden.
    Let us know.

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Is it a tet or dip? Also check parentage of some of the closer ones like the Autumn Oddity.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    11 years ago

That beautiful daylily reminds me of Omomuki.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to thank you all for your suggestions & help. I considered all that you mentioned and did my research. I think I have finally found a name for my beautiful, fragrant yellow NOID!! I am about 98% sure that it is 'Wind Song', an older cultivar that irish rose grower suggested. Everything seems to add up and the photos on Daves Garden & Tinkers were spot on. Thanks so much irish rose grower! There isn't a lot of info out there on it even when googled..... probably because its from
    1974 and probably not well known. The nursery I got it from was not a daylily nursery but a garden center that sells mostly perennials and annuals. They didn't have name labels on the pots of daylilies so my guess was it would be an older cultivar. (They just labeled them by color and it makes sense that it wouldn't be a newer, expensive daylily). This just proves that some of the 'golden oldies' are treasures. I am sure you will all be seeing photos of it again come summer because it just loves the camera and I love it so.

Celeste

• irish_rose_grower
    11 years ago

This is happy news. The bloom form really is quite pretty and to get a great fragrance is an added bonus. I have found that some of my favorite daylilys are older inexpensive daylilys. I'm going to have a look on the lily auction to see if i can find it for sale.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

irish rose grower.....if you don't have any luck on the Lily Auction I see that Earlybird Daylilies (Robin Calderon) has Wind Song and it is very inexpensive. I have ordered from Robin for several years (with another large Spring order coming) and she sends wonderful, large divisions. She might still be having her sale so if you're interested you should email her.

Celeste

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    8 years ago

Seems certainly to be Fair Child. I planted these from Smokeys several years ago in the Church cemetery and the fragrance is most notable

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz