Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl929

Collecting Spacecoast Series

flowergirl929
11 years ago

I collect the Spcecoast Series daylilies. Does anyone have a certain Spacecoast that they just love ? I have 16 right now but I have a few ordered that will arrive in the spring.
Theresa

Comments (25)

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Spacecoast Bold Scheme and SC Tiny Perfection. SC Tiny Perfection may be small yellow flower but it has a great bud count.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Hi Theresa.

I absolutely adore Brazen Bandit.

{{gwi:654817}}

kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wow, Kay,I love your Brazen Bandit.too.I loved it everytime you posted it last summer. so pretty.

Jean

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have any of the 3 listed. The one I posted is Spacecoast Plentiful Bounty. I may have ordered sp Tiny Perfection, I love the little dayliles.
    Thanks,T

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Here's a pic of Tiny Perfection

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

And for something a little different: Friki Tiki

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I like that Spacecoast Friki Tiki...really cool. The others are great too. I only have 3 which are very good bloomers & growers here in zone 4/5. Because they're not planted near one another I never realized until now that they are so similiar in color...haha.

Celeste

SPACECOAST SMALL TALK
    {{gwi:654823}}

SPACECOAST KRINKLES
    {{gwi:654825}}

SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION
    {{gwi:654827}}

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I evicted Spacecoast Starburst last summer because it just never did well in my yard. Very slow grower, usually didn't open right. I don't know if I'm too far north, or it just didn't like my yard. I am hoping to add Butterfly Effect at some point in time.

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Here's Spacecoast Hot Topic

{{gwi:654829}}

And Spacecoast Sonata

{{gwi:654831}}

I also have Spacecoast Starburst but it hasn't performed very well. First I think I had TC from a garden centre. It was one of the first daylilies I got. I got rid of it and bought a plant from a respected seller. It hasn't done much better.

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Here is Spacecoast Starburst from last summer. I think we finally had enough heat for it to bloom successfully. Not much else was happy with the severe drought we had but this one loved it.

• pamghatten
    11 years ago

And I got rid of Spacecoast Freaky Tiki because it didn't open well and always loked muddy ...

Too bad the Kinnebrews have stopped their daylily operation.

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

I didn't know that. When was that?

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

This is Black Velvet Baby.

{{gwi:654834}}

...and it does look like it's made of black velvet...a pretty little one and a real good bloomer.
    kay

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Black Velvet Baby is a beauty! Avedon

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice rich color on Black Velvet Baby. Very pretty picture of Spacecoast Starburst. I have it but don't recall much from it, I'll have to check it out this summer.

• alpha_5
    11 years ago

Hi Theresa

I read your profile and I think you are my good daylily buddy from back home. I think that your Spacecoast collection will make a great addition to your already awesome garden. We have grown many Spacecoast kids over the years. I don't know if I can pick a favorite, but S. Dark Lord would definitely be near the top of the list. I was saddened to hear that they were not making intros anymore. We saw several futures in the Kinnebrew garden last May that I had hoped to acquire when they became available. I am attempting to attach a picture of one of them.

Dale
    temporarily from Alabama's Gulf Coas

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dale, I hope you and little missy are having a great time!!
    This is a beautiful picture. Wow just look at the color and the teeth. Awsome!! So glad to hear from you. It's cold here!!!!!

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Then there is the patterned eye blooms. Here is SC Behavior Pattern. It is a little more vibrant than Seashells-but I like Seashells too.

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

I have a few of the Spacecoast. Spacecoast Freaki Tiki, this was the first year for it, so far it has been good.
    {{gwi:654837}}
    This is Spacecoast Two Eyed Jack, doubles about half the time, this is a pic with both versions, I do prefer it when it doubles.
    {{gwi:654839}}
    Again
    {{gwi:654842}}
    This is Spacecoast Shell Cracker, first summer for it too.
    {{gwi:654845}}
    I have Sea Shells, but it does poorly for me, but I think I will move it. I also have Spacecoast Cranberry Kid, and love that one. Can't find a pic of it.
    I saw on the Kinnebrew's webpage just a few months ago that they decided to retire. They have so many beauties.
    Cindy

• flowergirl929
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the double picture of Two Eyed Jack, really beautiful. Shell Cracker is nice too, it's somewhat like Spacecoast Fire Cracker

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

I am surprised to hear they aren't in business anymore. The last Journal had them listed as one of the display gardens for the Florida mecca. One place in the ad has them listed and in another they aren't.
    I sure hope someone takes over their hybridizing program. It would be sad to lose all of those genetics.
    Debbie

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Cindy-Here's Cranberry Kid for you

• floota
    11 years ago

The problem is, there is no "they" any more for Kinnebrew garden. It had always been a small family operation anyway, but Marjorie passed away just after the National Convention there in 2009. John Sr. had been in ill health since Marjorie's passing and I believe he has had to go into an assisted living or some such type facility recently. John Jr. works full time. His parents had always helped him with all the hard work involved in a daylily business,and sadly he doesn't have the time to do all the work all by himself and hold a full time job. I understand some other hybridizers such as Jamie Gossard are working with his genetics, seedlings to help keep those lines going. John Jr. had to cancel on us at Lilyhemmer last fall because he was taking care of his Dad then.
    I wish John Jr. well and hope at some future point he may have more time to get back into hybridizing!

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Thanks Lisa, I do love Sp. Cranberry Kid. It does very well for me here.
    Thanks floota for the update on the Kinnebrews. I guess it is one of the wonderful things about daylilies, is that your life's work and your name goes on in the genetics.

I did find a picture of Spacecoast Cranberry Kid from the year before.
    {{gwi:654847}}
    Cindy

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I don't have a single one but, every time I visit the garden of a near-neighbor and fellow club member, I find myself putting quite a few on my wish list. My neighbor especially loves the small ones, and she would order a few every year. They all do really well here.