Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billi_goats_gruff

Older Daylilies (1990 or Earlier)

Billi
9 years ago

I've seen a lot of pictures of newer daylily varieties, but how about some of the older ones? The newer ones are pretty with the big frills and bright eyes, but I think sometimes it's nice to just go back to basics.

Billi.

Comments (76)

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    9 years ago

Novelty Number is from 1965....50(!) years ago. Bob

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bob: You have so many amazing DL. It must be hard to chose a favorite. I especially like Ahoya and Nefertiti.

9 years ago

Billi,

My wife, Nancy, posted Femme de Joie under the 'F' daylilies and that reminded me that it's an older one (1979) that we love enough to keep, though it's a diploid and we have decided to stick with tets for our breeding program. It has large flowers, around 6 1/2" across and is taller than registered. It's always about 28" for us. I like my daylilies bold and in orange/red/yellow, but this pastel is one too beautiful to give up. It's only flaw is the large blooms can make the scapes lean. Bob

9 years ago

I found one more, registered in 1990. This is Winton, and it's a healthy and beautiful thing. Bob

• Nancy
    9 years ago

You have a lot of nice oldies, Bob. I really like the color Little Rainbow. I used to have 2 or 3 of that polychrome look, but they have disappeared over the years for some reason.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Here is a really old one, Luxury Lace 1959. It is a multi award winner.

• Ed
    9 years ago

SCARAMOUCHE, Munson, RW 1974

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Bob,
    I really like Novelty Number! If I had that one it would stay in my garden. I have a relatively small area to garden and probably have at least a dozen unknown old varieties . I think you need some old ones to balance the fancier faces available now. I have to leave some grass for my dogs!

Sherry

• Ed
    9 years ago

Anastasia (Salter, 1985)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Ming Toy (Wheeler, 1947)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Dallas Star (Ferris-R., 1976)

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Here's 3 oldies that I bought when I was around 12 years old [1967 or so]. I don't know their names but I really like them. There are others I bought then, at my in-laws house, but as I got newer ones they really paled in comparison.
    Brad

• Ed
    9 years ago

Ed Murray (Grovatt, 1971)

• Ed
    9 years ago

'Ebony Lamanite' (Roberson, 1984)

• Ed
    9 years ago

'Ebony Lamanite' (Roberson, 1984)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

This has been eye opening. I love the darker oranges and didn't realize that so many were out there from back in the day. An abundance of yellows too and that's my favorite daylily color....However here may be a surprise. An award winning pink from 1976 called YESTERDAY MEMORIES. It is not the orangey pink that so many people call pink, but a true daylily pink that I have adored for years....Mary

• Ed
    9 years ago

YESTERDAY MEMORIES - That is a beautiful pink Mary!

For today: Elizabeth Salter (Salter, 1990)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Enchanted Empress (Munson-R.W., 1980)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Explosion (Carwile, 1983)

EXPLOSION is a pretty orange hose in hose double. Nice plant.

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone who posted in this forum. I wasn't expecting such an amazing response! It definitely proves that newer isn't always better :) I'm so glad to see that the oldies are still being grown, as so many that I know of have become obsolete.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

I don't have any pic, at least that I can find right away, but the very first daylily I ever owned was Baby Betsy. some other oldies, Hudson Valley, Jock Randall,Colonial Dame and ect;.

• Ed
    9 years ago

Green Flutter (Williamson, 1964)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Highland Lord (Munson-R.W., 1983)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Ida's Magic (Munson-I., 1988)

One of the most important, controversial daylilies. Some bad hair days, but when right, don't think many surpass its beauty!

• Ed
    9 years ago

Joan Senior (Durio, 1977)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Joan Senior is tops in my book too. Blooming for a long time she remains one of the whitest daylilies out there...... Wonderful picture of Highland Lord too..... Thankfully many of these daylilies are still available for sale. I see that Oakes this year is again carrying my pink daylily, Yesterday Memories. Classics never go out of style. Here's another oldie, a small flowered daylily I really like that I got from Oakes years ago, Addie Branch Smith............Maryl{{gwi:2125097}}

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would love to get Yesterday Memories, however I can't find an Australian nursery that stocks it. Does anyone know of a daylily with a similar flower?

• Ed
    9 years ago

YESTERDAY MEMORIES is a great plant. Lots of people like it. I'm sure there's something else close, but nothing comes to mind just now. Maybe by the time I run out of flowers to post? :0)

Here's 'Homer Howard Glidden' (Kirchhoff-D., 1985)

Another near white I like alot. A small flower pictured with 'Ida's Magic'.

• Ed
    9 years ago

Here's an important hybridizing diploid.

'Super Purple' (Dove, 1979) pictured with 'Inca Puzzle', which is not that old (2003). 'Super Purple' was later converted and used to make Stamile's 'Dakar' and other dark flowers. Never was a strong grower for me in zone 9, but here in zone 7 is much stronger.

• Ed
    9 years ago

On my short list of the most beautiful daylilies I have grown is:

'Kate Carpenter' (Munson-R.W., 1980)

Just the most subtle pastel pink with green throat. I love it.

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful Edgings--1989--Totally wonderful daylily

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Avedon- Beautiful Edgings is one of my favourites. I love how delicate the colours are. Of course I can't find anyone in Australia that sells it though.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I realize I'm out of my depth here as I have no clue what the shipping restrictions are to Australia, but someone showed a very pretty pink daylily under the alphabet posts that reminded me of Yesterday Memories and is from the same year (1976) with quite a few awards also. It is called Joyful Occasion. I think there is a nursery in New Zealand that carries it. Now whether or not you can import from there or whether or not Joyful Occasion turns out to be as true a pink as Yesterday Memories I don't know. I've never seen it in person. Here's a link to the nursery. I hope it proves helpful........Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: source for Joyful Occasion overseas

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link Maryl :) I'll have to do some investigating into the shipping regulations. It's frustrating that every country has different plants for sale. There are so many that have been posted in the alphabet forums that aren't available here.

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like there is A LOT of stuff to consider when importing plants. It seems like too much hassle for one daylily. I'll just keep searching for the perfect pink. Surely something will pop up.

• Ed
    9 years ago

Another of my favorite daylilies. Rust proof.

'Little Orange Tex' (Faggard, 1985)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Another favorite oldie. It goes from a pink blush to almost a near white. Wish I had a clump pic!

'Lullaby Baby' (Spalding-W., 1975)

• Ed
    9 years ago

billi,

Here's a very pretty flower, and I think it hails from Australia. Not quite old enough for this thread, but you might make an exception?

'Maleny Debutante' (Alexander-S., 1993)

• Billi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for bringing that to my attention :) there's a whole heap of Maleny daylilies. My mum has Jolly Swagman. It is quite lovely, isn't it?

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Turkish Turban 1985--lovely blending colors

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Imperial Lemon--1985--my favorite yellow

• Ed
    9 years ago

"Maleny Debutante' has been a favorite. Such pure colors and form.

'Imperial Lemon' is a very impressive yellow. I've always liked Benz's work.

Here's a nice spider: 'Marse Connell' (Connell, 1952) Really looks good with the peachy colors.

• Ed
    9 years ago

One of the best dark daylilies.

'Midnight Magic' (Kinnebrew, 1979)

• Ed
    9 years ago

This is a great mini spider, especially good in a pot.

'Ming Toy' (Wheeler, 1947)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

I don't have space for alot of daylilies, but do try and keep a few small flowered varieties around for the up close version of show and tell. Ming Toy is right up my alley. What a great shot of it..............Maryl

• Ed
    9 years ago

Thanks Maryl, glad you like 'Ming Toy'. One of my favorites. I seem to like extremes. I like the minis and extra tall/large varieties.

Another miniature that would be really good in a pot is 'Mini Pearl'. It is very dormant and has beautiful blue-green foliage:

'Mini Pearl' (Jablonski, 1982)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Somewhere on down the line someone needs to start a thread on minis (officially small flowered daylilies). Many people ignore them but if short enough they can make great plants for containers. Just about the time the early spring Geraniums and pansies are stuttering in zone 6 and southward, up pop the blooms of smaller flowered daylilies. There has been more then one respected hybridizer who thought enough of them to devote considerable time and effort in producing them. Mini Pearl is another wonderful example of their charm.......Maryl.

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Sunday Gloves--1985--for lovers of near white DLS. I do have Joan Senior and it has already been shown and it is whiter than SG, but I love both of them.

• Ed
    9 years ago

Here's a great little red miniature. It got a bad rap when it was accused of bringing daylily rust to the US. I found it moderately resistant in my garden.

'Pardon Me' (Apps, 1982)

• Ed
    9 years ago

Another cute little miniature, maybe one of the smallest blooms.

'Pixie Parasol' (Hudson, 1975)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!