Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
floota

Winter whites

floota
11 years ago

Today's weather inspired my latest blog post about winter whites. Link is below. Click if you like white and near white daylilies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Whites

Comments (22)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

The garden is beautiful, Julia. "Bird graveyard" huh? Ha!

Many beauties, but Heavenly ange Ice is my favorite, and it does really well in my southern garden. I look forward to seeing the net batch of whites.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice blog. I only grow a few whites or near whites here and I love the combination since it allows our eyes to rest while taking in all the colors. Definitely adds the "pop" factor.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Ready for the next batch. None of them are as white as snow, are they? But I suspect most pics were taken in early morning, without the whitening effect of sun. Boundless Beauty had some very nice blooms here, but I wouldn't say it never disappoints, as on some cooler mornings here it's a mess.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I love (but don't have yet) Last Snowflake. I saw it in a garden club members garden a few years back. Still a bit out of my budget yet. :)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

wel, I posted under your blog but,I dont see it over there when I went back to look at the photos again.That snow is pretty, but, I am glad I dont live in it.I had enough of that when I was a child.Your near white daylilies are so pretty,Thank you for posting your pictures of them.

Jean

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Using snow as the "marker" for white really illustrates that most daylilies registered as white fall far short, doesn't it? I've pulled the next batch of images and hope to blog again later today!

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Hello folks: I am just jumping in to diffent forums. Usually peonies and iris are my passion. Of coarse, any perennial for my zone 5. I am wanting to add lots of white to my yard and wish to have some recommendations for "White" daylilies. No pale peach, pale yellows, creams, etc. Any suggestions? Especially love spiders. White works best with my other perennials.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks for the lovely pictures, Julie. This year, Snowflake Empress, Hazel Ballard, and Margo Reed Indeed will be growing in our garden. It will be interesting to see the first blooms and just how "white" they are. Good old Joan Senior is the whitest one we grow here, the others tend to yellow. Will be looking forward to your next post on whites. Avedon

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Part 2 was added yesterday with more "winter whites!".
    The link is added one more time.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Winter Whites!

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

I seem to have missed Part Two of Winter Whites--what am I doing wrong? I clicked on the designated link, but I get Part One. Avedon

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avedon,

Trying the link again. See if this works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 2

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Funny how so many of us have the same near whites. Wedding Band is a favorite of mine and will always have a place here too. Many of my near whites have that tinge of pinkish color and others shock me by looking as pure as snow. I think the weather definitely has a way of playing with the flower color.
    Enjoyed the second part of your blog.

Julia

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Your blog is always an inspiration! What is your whitest "white"? I ask as most of my near-whites are what I consider to be closer to a mid-tone melon or a definite buttercream yellow - no where near white or even pale cream. Again, thank you for blogging - your site has introduced me to more cultivars than any other (and my purchases and wishlist reflect that :))

• floota
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Old Gardener. You know, I discovered I'd left out one of the whitest that grows here and will try to add a couple that I forgot to include to Part 2 later today. Michael Miller is one of the whitest that grows here. Look for a picture of it!

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I really enjoyed your blog, & seems so appropriate for the season. You have some great daylilies.

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the recommendation...I took another peek at your blog this morning (actually I am still reading your older posts) and I am definitely going to add Michael Miller to an open order that I have with Maryott's. The fact that it is listed as an EM Re with 6" blooms on 30" scapes (I am partial to 4.5:1 to 5:1 ratios) is icing on the cake! Again, thank you!!

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Michael Miller has not been vigorous here; and on another forum, a few people in northern zones complained of losing it. I am in the northern part of zone 6. Five degrees this morning. But let January be January. I don't want another hellish summer.

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Fortunately, I am in zone 10b and shortly moving to 8a so I usually don't worry about winter hardiness (although we did have night temps down to 20F all last week - very strange for here!). I, too, am hoping that the coming summer is not as hot as last year although I did learn that "spellbinder" blooms its heart out even when it is 117F!

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Michael Miller was snow-white in our garden - really a stand-out. It never flourished though, and finally died this past summer. I bought another one, as I cannot imagine a daylily garden without this beautiful flower. It's in a pot and that's where it will stay so that I can keep a very close eye on it. Joan Senior and Beautiful Edgings are the whitest diploids I have. Our summer sun is so relentless here in Texas, BE shows very little, if any, pink edges.

Beautiful winter scene, Floota!

Nancy

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Najoba, do you have a suggestion on how to succeed with Michael Miller in TX? Our other property is in the Lampasas area and any insights into dl's in TX are most appreciated:) I keep reading that what is considered "full sun" exposure in CA is really "morning sun only" in TX and that most plants appreciate some protection from TX's afternoon sun...would you agree with that or can I assume that if it survives full sun in CA at the peak of summer (110-115F), then it will be fine in full sun in TX?

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

I wish I did have the magic answer for MICHAEL MILLER. I love this daylily -- it's one of my favorites. I'm going to grow it in a pot this year, and keep it in an improvised water bed (kiddy pool). I waited for 3 years for it to multipy from a SF to a DF, and when it finally did, a worker stepped on the new fan. That caused it to go into a decline and die.

Yes, our Texas summers are brutal on daylilies - especially when there is no rain. The real killer as I've discovered is watering them in this extreme heat.

At Mark Carpenter's Lily Farm, he has large shade structures which only let in a certain amount of sunlight. That might be an answer. Since I live in one of these highly-restricted residential neighborhoods, I doubt if our HOA would allow me to use them.

By this coming fall, I'll know more about the pros and cons of water beds.

We have started using only organic fertilizers on the mature plants (i.e. liquid seaweed). So far, I'm very impressed and hope my daylilies will survive the summer better. They sure look great now.

Nancy

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Thank you for the insights. Any chance that you'll post the pros and cons of water beds come fall? :) Ours is old ranch land in TX so I am definitely going to keep the shade cloth in mind. I am so happy to hear that M.Miller was/is snow white in your garden - it gives me hope that I'll finally get a white/near white daylily!