Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annrosalee

opinions on contractable water hoses?

AnnRosalee
11 years ago

Hi All,
Anyone have any suggestions for a good reliable contractible water hose? Have seen some advertised on tv that are blue in color but reviews not real great.
Thanks.
Ann

Comments (8)

• bambi_too
    11 years ago

I have looked at them and while they seem like a good idea, I don't think they are well made enough to hold up here.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I don't remember the color, but I saw one advertised recently that looked different then the usual ones I've seen advertised in the past. The new ones almost looked like fabric as opposed to rubber/plastic. The advertised "plus" along with their retractability was how light weight they were. I'm sure they are too good to be true. Probably what Bambi said is what's wrong with them....Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Whenever I see anything that is new on the market I see if Amazon has it. Their customer reviews are usually very informative. Sure enough they have the "expandable" blue hose I had seen on TV. As you can see from the link it got so so reviews. At least it's a starting point for thought about buying one.....Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Expandable Garden Hose

• AnnRosalee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Jean needs one but don't want one which breaks.

• bambi_too
    11 years ago

If I thought they would work for me I would have tried one, it would sure beat lugging about 150 feet of hose around. The green one they have been showing that self retracts and gets very small looks too good to be true and it probably is.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I bought one at Target, the blue one. I have read reviews on it that the attachment part of it can break. I couldnt stand myself so bought it anyway - we have been flooded so no need to use a hose at this time, but I am going to consider I probably threw away $20 - but it will be fun to see if it actually works for awhile. I get so tired of hoses that are heavy and that kink that even a small respite will be worth it. Maybe if I am real careful with it....I may get my money's worth.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I'm in agreement with Bambi and all. With our 2nd year of drought behind us and it looking like a third year is coming, I'm not looking forward to wrestling the "beast" again this summer. 110 degree temperatures are bad enough, but to have an Anaconda twisting and snarling behind you everywhere you go in the blast furnace heat is more then annoying..... I'm glad you are experimenting with it Alameda. You understand how much hose work goes on in the south. I haven't seen one of these new ones in person yet, but maybe this spring the box stores around here will have some. I hope you let us know how it does for you.......Maryl

• bambi_too
    11 years ago

I saw one of the blue ones, it wouldn't last here. I was looking at the flat ones but they look too fragile too. I decided to go with soaker hoses. I am going to put them in place and leave them. Then I'll use 1 hose from the faucet to connect them one at a time moving it every day. I can get by with one heavy duty 50 footer that way and only have to drag part of it around. It will be expensive to buy all the soaker hoses though.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio