Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you keep a cover on your daylily seedlings?

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 23:16

My seeds have begun to germinate and I've transferred planted them in their seeding tray. They just started peeping out of the soil a couple of days ago, so I put them under the grow light tonight. I have a heating pad under them as well. My question is, should I leave the clear plastic cover on them, or just let them be out in the open air? Also, should the light be further away from them, closer, or about where it is? There's a picture of my setup below.

Thanks for your help,
Tammy

photo 20140107_222014_zpswmacf65h.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you keep a cover on your daylily seedlings?

I can't speak for anyone else but I leave mine under the grow lights until they're a bit taller, about 1.5".

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 12:49

Oh yes, I know to leave them under the lights longer (they actually just went under the light last night). They'll be under the light until its Spring. What I wasn't sure about was leaving the plastic cover over them? I wasn't sure if it would be too much humidity and they would rot, or if it better to leave the cover on, so they will stay warmer and more humid... Here's a picture of the cover I was referring to :)

photo 20140108_124053_zpshf9pnfun.jpg

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 13:00

Sorry, I meant I leave mine under domes. Don't know if it really makes any difference tho. Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 19:13

ok, that makes more sense :) They're almost touching the top of this 2" dome, but I have a 6" one I'm going to switch it to (as soon as I find it...my garage is a mess right now! haha)

Tammy

o

TNY78, great installation!

I suggest to take out the plastic cover and never put it on. Talking about the distance from lights it depends on the pulps (different pulps generate different temperature). It should be warm but not hot :)

I also prepare to plant my daylilies . It is the most beautiful flower for me

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here