Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
over whelmed by fertilzers

Posted by darobi2459 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 1:21

Hello everyone, I feel through the help of the many post here I have a grasp on lighting, but now it is a fertilization schedule I am lost at.

With all of the organic big names like fox farm, etc...Where should I start to find accurate unbiased info on this subject? For instance the seedling mix I am using does not have any nutrients in it, what should I start with to feed these little guys? When I transplant the 5 or 6 to a cup to individual cups do I want to continue to use the peat based medium? I have heard add worm castings to it, and bone or blood meal too.

Just a bit overwhelmed and help is very appreciated! Thanks.

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: over whelmed by fertilzers

Frankly, I would use a synthetic for inside. But thats me, my garden doesnt get any fertilizers(other then horse manure and garden compost) , Ive been using a 6-12-10 for years inside, usually a half the recommended dose once a month, which is usually 2-3 feedings, my same bag ive been using for about 6 years now and am barely half way through and thats for about 5-6 hundred seedlings every year.

o

When you grow something in a pot, you must supply all nutrients for the plants needs. Most potting mixes have very little nutrients in them. Many say they will feed the plants for up to 9 months, but I find most will start showing nutritional deficiency at around 90 days. So giving the plants a balanced fertilizer is very important to insure good growth. I prefer to use a water soluble fertilizer such as MiracleGro or Peters. Use at an appropriate strength for season of growth. Using a slow release fertilizer is also good and can be a big labor saver as they try to regulate the amount of fertilizer applied with temperature. I don't use organic fertilizers in pots. Mine are outside and some kind of critter will dig the plants out of the pots looking for the dead fish or such.
As far as fertilizers for outside plantings, have your agricultural extension agent test your soil to see what the soil needs and use that as a guide to procure fertilizers. I prefer organic fertilizers, but they will require more study to select the proper ones for your particular soil. However, they are much more forgiving, should you get one which is not necessarily needed for your soil.
Good luck, Ed

o

Thanks for the words of advice :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here