Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DL greening up- is this trouble?

Posted by valtorrez 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 6:56

While letting my dog out to potty, I walked around my yard trying to assess spring clean up when I saw lots of green folliage comming up. This is way too early. Last year this did not happpen until middle of April. If It gets cold, will this kill my daylillies? I am new this this. I spent spring of 2009/2010 reading these forums and buying dl's. Last year I got to sit back and watch them bloom throughout Spring/Summer (I learned from you experts about trying to buy DL's that bloomed at different times). This year I wanted to sit back, fertilize and assess which onees were poor/good performers to make room for new ones. I think this will throw a wrench in plans.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DL greening up- is this trouble?

Last year was an especially cold winter here. This year we are having a very mild winter. Some people in the area are already seeing scapes. If we don't get a sudden cold snap soon, bloom season will start very early, plants are already blooming size from the warm winter.
If we do get a cold snap, I don't think it will stop the bloom much this late. Might kill off some new growth, but the bulk of bloom will start early. If the cold snap is severe, it will probably reduce the amount of rebloom this summer, as the plants will have to recover before they are able to set the second round of scapes.
Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here