Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
February and March Daylily care in the South??

Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 10:38

When do you start, how often and what product do you use to spray for thrips?

Most of my daylilies are evergreen. Is there anything else I should be doing now?
Last year I ended up cutting them all down to soil level due to something all over foliage. Looked like white sawdust. I first tried blasting them with the water hose and insecticidal soap, but it didn't get rid of them. Aphids maybe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: February and March Daylily care in the South??

Yes, the white debris is from aphids. You don't have to cut them if they have aphids. There are various ways to get rid of the bugs. The white stuff looks ugly, but it shouldn't cause any damage. I think it's just their shed skins.

Nate

o
RE: February and March Daylily care in the South??

Last year I did my strong fertilizing on 1/29. Usually it's done in mid February. I'll do it next week I think. I use 6-6-6 plus a 9 month fertilizer plus a 3-mo palm fertilizer and whatever else I have on hand. This year I sported for a fertilizer that the pros use called MicroMax (expensive). It goes on 2 TBS per pot or per plant so that one will go on first. This big fertilization is meant to fulfill the needs of daylilies up to 9 mos.--Oct of this year when the weather cools down. I do it every year! The daylilies thrive and bloom from March or April through Sept. with this treatment. I've been spraying every 7 days for rust. I ran out of NickelPlus and may have to purchase it again. I baby those plants because I absolutely love their blooms. They are big a bold right now. Bloom season isn't far off!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here