Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

My Fantasy Daylily Purchases

lovelyiris
16 years ago

Oh my goodness, I should have never looked at those daylilies by FRANK SMITH. He has more than a handful that will make one wish they had unlimited funds. LOL

But being older and on a fixed income I'll just have to dream about owning some of these. Have any of you looked at these and really had that much money to spend on one med.size fan?

Pricesless $300.00

Bill Robinson $100.00

Cloud Ballet $200.00

Fame $250.00

Falica Grace $87.50

Mary Alice $350.00

Miss Lula Mae $100.00

Princess Diane $150.00

Prissy Girl $200.00

RoseColored Glasses $175.00

South Pacific $125.00

Speechless $100.00

Stroll Over Heaven $175.00

Tequila Sunset $150.00

Wedding Gown $250.00

William Shakespeare $200.00

Winter Romance $200.00

Well I think this should get me started on my fantasy garden. Now if I could just afford a couple of them I'd be happy.

I'm just proud to be able to afford a few of the CHEAP daylilies. I would probably have a heart attack if I did own one of the above.

I might have to learn how to make crosses and so forth and see what I can come up with on my own. LOL That's an awful big dream for someone like me.(smile)

Now what is really some of the most sought after daylilies by just common folks without a bottomless pocket book?

Sweet Dreams about Spring and lots of blooms.

Marian

Comments (15)

• lilypatch
    16 years ago

Marian,
    Nice list you've compiled there. I only grow one, BILL ROBINSON. I bought it from Frank when first introduced because I "had to have it". It is an outstanding daylily. Here's a picture as it looked in my garden.
    {{gwi:663635}}
    I was able to obtain PRINCESS DIANA off the auction for considerably less than catalog price. It is coming in the Spring. Keep your eyes open, the prices only go down....usually.

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

I have two of his cultivars. Both are rust buckets. One will leave the garden this month. The other has a second chance and I'll see what happens. I've moved it. Anyway, its safe to say, no more Smith daylilies in this garden

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Hi Marion,

If you really like Cloud Ballet take a look at Aunt Nellie. It is one of Frank Smith's from 2005. Mike Grossmann is selling it for $29.99 for a single fan. He has some other Frank Smith's at decent prices although there are none from your list. Mike is very nice to deal with. His website is:

http://www.northernlightsdaylilies.com/

Edward

• opnjmprs
    16 years ago

I bought Prissy Girl on the LA, and didn't pay anywhere near $200.00. There certainly are some good deals out there, but you have to keep your eyes open for them.

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I was going to bid on a couple but they wouldn't let me use my Hotmail.com email address. Unfortunately for me I can barely use the computer and can't seem to get them to give me an account. I have one on Ebay using it so I just wonder what the big deal is?

There was more than a couple I would have bid on. Priceless was on there for 100 dollars last time I looked it was $125.00 still a little steep for someone like me on SS and a job 2 days a week. LOL

I was wondering if maybe the webmaster on Lily Auction is off on the weekends and maybe that's why I didn't get a password and all back???

Thanks for all the replys and I wish all of you abundant blooms this year.

Best Regards, Marian

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

Hello Marian: From your list above, I only have South Pacific. I did get Aunt Ethel, however, from Frank Smith last year and was very happy with it. My single fan was a triple fan plus I received a nice bonus daylily...very generous, I thought, and no sign of rust.

I have this to say to you: Get yourself to a local club meeting where Frank Smith is speaking! Or even one not so local! He sometimes springs surprises on the audience as he did at Lilyhemmer last fall. He seems to me to be very generous and an encourager of those new to daylilies.

Secondly, join your local club. Clubs buy plants, the members grow them and then in 2-3 years, they will auction them off. This is a good way to acquire some of the newer ones without breaking your budget. Volunteer with the club, get to know them (and they you) and offer to host a club plant. Most clubs will allow you to keep a fan and return the rest. Can't be that price!

Even with all that, there are beautiful daylilies for all pocketbooks. Jump in!

• shellyga
    16 years ago

Contact Mike Longo directly about using your hotmail account.. he asks for some other information but you can get one.. yes.. I am an enabler... : )

Shelly

• howardchaz
    16 years ago

Tet Spindazzle
    Tet Peppermint Delight
    Dragon Fang
    Subtle Knife
    Heman
    Eyes Right Jones
    Venus Fly Trap
    SabreTooth Tiger
    Bass Gibson
    Duke of Gascone

• mizellie
    16 years ago

I bought Bill Robinson from the LA last year. I was disapointed since I bid on a blooming size fan and got a less than pencil size. hopefully he will be big enought to bloom this coming season. I bought Grandma's Smile a couple of years ago and it was pretty expensive but worth the money!!...Ellie

• mareas
    16 years ago

Marian, I empathize with you completely about Frank Smith's website!
    I have an obsession with his 'Holy Water' ~ dangerous because I really can't afford it, but keep nearly ordering it anyway LOL

Already spent all my daylily money this Winter on ONE daylily, Tet Lavender Blue Baby, just so I could get ON with my life & quit looking at photos of it on the web LOL
    marea

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Marian,

We have, or will have by spring, all but a couple of your list. My favorites, that I have seen bloom, are FAME, PRISSY GIRL and STROLL OVER HEAVEN. Larry Grace was/is one of my favorite hybridizers and Smith's cvs sure show Larry's influence.

Dale

• lovelyiris
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of you posting and replying. Since I'm fairly new to daylilies I need all the help and thoughts I can get regarding any I'm thinking about purchasing.

Dale I just happen to run across Smiths Daylilies while looking up some stuff on daylilies. Being so new to these beautiful plants I have a ton to learn and I know nothing about any of the hybridizers. Must go check into Larry Grace now.

Thanks again everyone,
    Marian

• alpha_5
    16 years ago

Marian,

Frank Smith bought out Larry Grace a few years back. From what I hear, he is hybridizng again and will have intros again in a few years.

Dale

• olgaflowers
    16 years ago

How I wish I could find a cheaper version
    Of Wedding Gown
    It's nice to dream !
    Olga

• Jon.69367
    10 years ago

I own Tequila Sunset and Priceless and I'm putting them for auction tonight for only $30-some each. I really don't know if it's against the rules to post this. But you can private message me and I'll send the links.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor