Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aunt_lou

Questions about orange? Your Favorites---etc.

aunt_lou
14 years ago

I am working out my daylily orders for this year and see that I am in sore need or some hot oranges to brighten up my expanding daylily bed. I only have Tuscawilla Tigress [which I love] and then an old tall orange that was left here that I think is Rocket City. I am wanting really bright oranges---almost neon! :) I am soooo drooling over Heavenly Dragonfire ----- wish it was not $50! Heard that it performs as good as it looks! Also thinking about Inca Prince and Primal Scream. Anyone know much about these two? What can you tell me---and is Primal Scream as good as all of the raves about it?

What are some of your favorite oranges?

Looking forward to what y'all have to say on the matter. Thanks! :-)

aunt lou

Comments (49)

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh! Forgot to mention Savannah Fire Chief and also Carrick Wildon. How do they compare to Inca Prince? I do want a nice big orange/red orange with a yellow gold eye that extends out onto the petals somewhat that shows-off from a distance. Any others as good or better?

Appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks!
    aunt lou

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

I love hot oranges, but don't consider Rocket City a hot orange ... others disagree. :>)

Favorites:
    Highland Pinched Fingers
    {{gwi:663956}}

Outrageous:
    {{gwi:663957}}

Primal Scream - love it, though this picture is blotchy, it doesn't often look blotchy
    {{gwi:663958}}

Tequila Mockingbird
    {{gwi:663959}}

Walter's Tango
    {{gwi:663960}}

Jersey SPider, maybe not so "hot", but still a standout.
    {{gwi:663961}}

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pictures! Those are gorgeous, Pam! I especially love Outrageous and Tequilla Mockingbird---Walter's Tango is great too! Thanks so much!

Anybody else? :-)

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

I have Primal Scream - new last summer - no picture yet! One reason you may want to add it is it is a Hanson from Ohio - in fact Northeast Ohio, so you know it should perform for us!
    Here are some of my oranges I do have pictures of:
    Jambalaya
    {{gwi:258972}}
    Paprika Velvet
    {{gwi:258971}}
    Copper Colonel (bitone and tall)
    {{gwi:663962}}
    these are oldies - so the prices should be low - I got all of these for $5.00 each

• rarejem
    14 years ago

Hi,

I am a longtime member of garden web, but kind of fell off of the face of the earth for a while and am trying to find the time to be active again. "Hot" daylilies are my absolute favorite, and I grow quite a few less expensive oranges that I just love. I will add that Tuscawilla Tigress is one of my all time favorite daylilies not only for color, but performance as well.

Here are some others that I think you will like:

BIG CABIN NEON BEACON

{{gwi:663963}}

BITTERSWEET DESTINY

{{gwi:663965}}

FLASHER

{{gwi:663967}}

HALLOWEEN HOCUS POCUS

{{gwi:663968}}

MENDED HEART

{{gwi:663969}}

OUTRAGEOUS is a must!

{{gwi:663970}}

PRIMAL SCREAM in its PNW form. I love it, but it has been a slow increaser for me.

{{gwi:663971}}

SPACECOAST BLAST OFF

{{gwi:663972}}

VOLCANO QUEEN

{{gwi:663973}}

BITTERSWEET HOLIDAY

{{gwi:663974}}

Yes, I guess I like oranges!

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Here are some of my oranges. Don't all have yellow eyes but all wow you!

Alabama Jubilee
    {{gwi:652238}}

Vesuvian Flame

{{gwi:663975}}

Pyrotechnics
    {{gwi:663976}}

Carrick Wildon

{{gwi:663977}}

Enjoy!!

• running_free
    14 years ago

Still stuck on red so I have nothing to offer but compliments. 'Paprika Velvet' and 'Volcano Queen' hit my interest list, the latter in particular as I don't think I have any similar forms in the garden. I feel terrible everytime I look at 'Primal Scream'. Great name alone, the pics just haven't sold me (no offense). Then again my favorite red from my garden is "Spider Man' and pictures don't compare to presence so I'll assume it's somewhat similar in that regard.

My personal favorite 'orange' to date is the somewhat dreaded 'Kwanso', negatives aside she can hang out 'til I'm gone. Thanks for the pics, as good in shopping season as they are in bloom. Leaning towards (of all things) purple spiders so orange is only 'round the bend as I think my yellows and golds are covered for awhile...

~Wes

• dani_plus_2
    14 years ago

{{gwi:663978}}

Orange cream is very deep

{{gwi:663979}}
    olive's odd one is a little different every time

I have Tuscawilla Tigres and it's a beauty! That one iwll never leave my garden!{{gwi:663981}}

All are cheapies!

Dani

• joespider
    14 years ago

Colman Hawkins (Dan Bachman 2001)
    LIGHT FORBES (J Trimmer 2004) Grows well for me in the north
    OLD TIME MEMORIES (J Carpenter 2004) Like it more than Primal Scream. Very bright.
    ORANGE CLOWN (Goldner/WEBSTER 2008 )
    WALTERS TANGO (Marx - Hensley 2006) Screaming orange. High bud count.
    WINGED MIGRATION (Lambertson 2003)

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

I have OUTRAGEOUS but didn't know what it was until last year. It is one of those that is easily recognizable by most daylily aficionados. It's a wonderful daylily to add to your garden.

I got PRIMAL SCREAM last year so haven't seen it in bloom, but have heard a lot of good things about it's attention-getting habits.

HOT EMBER is probably a little darker than these pics. But it is still a very strong accent and can't be missed in the garden. I bought it in 2005-06? and have two nice sized clumps now.
    {{gwi:663982}}

HOT EMBER clump
    {{gwi:663983}}

Happy Orange Hunting!

Vickie

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention that the HOT EMBER clump above was the one the cat liked to lay in last year. That's why the fans are laying down on the rocks. It still put on a pretty good show.

Vickie

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fantastic!!! Am lovin these pics!

D.Dreamer: love the Paprika Velvet! where do you get them for $5!

rarejem: Wow! What are the names of the red and the pink daylilies behind Outrageous! What a striking flowerbed!
    Flasher, Sp.BlastOff, Volcano Queen---all knockouts!
    Love all of your pics! Now here my ignorance shows---what is the PNW form of Primal Scream mean?

Dani: Orange Cream seems like a misnomer for that bright beauty! I think of cream I think of a softer color. That is gorgeous!

joespider: Going to go look up that Old Time Memories and the others too. Thanks!

swontgirl: Alabama Jubilee and Vesuvian Flame! I never would have thought there were so many gorgeous hot orange daylilies!

Vickie: That Hot Embers is another beauty. So many! Now my choice is harder than ever! lol :-)

No one has said anything about Heavenly Dragon Fire yet?

Thanks again everyone! Woke up to another blanket of fresh snow this mornin and heard that the silly groundhog saw his shadow so it is very pleasant to come here and look at these HOT pictures of gorgeous orange daylilies!

aunt lou

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

Aunt Lou,
    I imagine Heavenly Dragon Fire is gorgeous. It is still $80 + up here so I don't have it yet but a friend does. I thought I had a photo but not of that one. Interestingly it's pod parent is Blazing Lamp Sticks, also by Gossard and the pod parent of BLS is Alabama Jubilee! This isn't an expensive daylily and it bloomed for over 6 weeks here last summer when we had such dry weather and everything else looked awful.
    Here is a different orange Gossard one-
    Flying Dragon
    {{gwi:663985}}

I have seen Old Time memories in a few gardens and it is on my wish list but is still over $60 up here. It does put on a great show. Here is a photo from a friends garden.

Old Time Memories
    {{gwi:663987}}

And finally here is one - also from a freinds. I take a photo of it every time I go there - it is just amazing, always open and beautiful. An old one by Copenhaver from 1991.
    Cinnamon Sunrise
    {{gwi:663988}}

For some reason I am just always attracted to orange ones when I go visiting and always come home with photos of orange daylilies!
    Debbie

• rarejem
    14 years ago

Aunt Lou,

The backdrop in the garden with OUTRAGEOUS is an asiatic lily mix (sorry, no names), with roses behind. The asiatics make a wonderful backdrop for the daylilies, and I would love to say that I strategically planned this garden, but in reality it just kind of "happened", but i love it. By "PNW version", I simply mean that that is what it looks like here in the Pacific Northwest. I have found that my daylilies tend to have a slightly different look than they do in a lot of areas. Our cool nights and usually cooler summer days have an odd effect sometimes, and with PRIMAL SCREAM, I find that mine is usually more vibrant than I see in most pics (no hot sun to fade it!). I always try to warn someone if I feel that my pics may not be representative of how the plant would look in their yard!

HOT EMBERS has been on my list for a while (need more space!) and OLD TIME MEMORIES is sure a stunner. Time to take another walk through the yard and see if there is room for one or two more somewhere....

Julie

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

I only own one orange one (I know... ducking...). But I do love it. It is a rather mild orange compared to some of these photos!

{{gwi:663930}}

But Mr. Bill Maryott has a passion for orange daylilies, and has some beauties on his website (some of his own work, and others). {{gwi:663930}}

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Aunt Lou - Most of my daylilies were purchased at a daylily farm in Middlefield. My Paprika Velvet was purchased at (hesitating to say it) Home Depot 2 years ago for under $5. I don't know if you are anywhere near this wonderful Amish run farm, but its fate is not known. The owner died last summer and the family really didn't want to run it. My sister-in-law and I are just crossing our fingers that it will reopen.

• jaco42
    14 years ago

Bengal Tiger is a very bright true orange in my garden,
    Pat Mercer is about a orange as you can get- you can spot her from about 100 feet away
    Pumpkin Kid is also another nice orange but not what I would call a true orange-more of a yellowiosw tint to him.
    All of these were also purchased at Rock Bottom Farms in Middlefield and were in the 5 to 8 dollar range. I too am hoping that they will open again this year.

• daylily_dreamer
    14 years ago

Oh jaco42 - another Rock Bottom lover! My husband and I discovered it in 2008, my sister-in-law and I have visited whenever we had a few dollars to spare. If you hear anything please post about it and I will do the same! I have purchased over 120 daylilies from them in the last two summers.

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bummer! Wish Middlefield wasn't so far away from me! I am clear down here by Dayton. :( A bit too far for this ol'granny.

aunt lou

• jaco42
    14 years ago

daylilydreamer sent them an e-mail am waiting for a reply. Will post if and when I get one. I also like going there only thing is My wife gets really scared when I go there by myself.

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just want to thank everyone for your beautiful pictures and recommendations! So far I have ordered these oranges to go along with the Tuscawilla Tigress that I already have:

Heavenly Dragon Fire
    Inca Prince
    Old Time Memories
    Primal Scream

I know---a lot of orange spiders there [except for Inca Prince of course] but I liked them all so much that ---well--I got all of them! lol

Looking for Walter's Tango and also the best [and cheapest place :-)] to get Outrageous. I saw the most gorgeous orange over at Maryotts -------- Hot Lava! Wow! Bit too pricey for me this year though. [sigh]

Thanks again for helping me make up for my orange deficit. ;-)

aunt lou

• Nancy
    14 years ago

Here are some of mine that I don't think have been mentioned:
    Avante Guarde:
    {{gwi:663989}}
    Bright Banner, an oldie I rarely see mentioned but I like it
    {{gwi:663991}}
    Firestorm
    {{gwi:663992}}
    Franz Hals, love that bitone
    {{gwi:663993}}
    New Dawn, another bitone I really like
    {{gwi:663994}}
    Painted Lady
    {{gwi:663995}}
    My Primal Scream, I know its been shown but I love it :)
    {{gwi:663996}}
    Tigereye Spider is rather eyecatching, not a great multiplier for me
    {{gwi:657354}}
    Jambalaya
    {{gwi:663997}}

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ngraham: oooohhh---- I love your picture of Tigereye Spider! I have seen it before but never a pic. that showed it off this well before. Beautiful! Thanks for all of your pictures!

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

BITTERSWEET HOLIDAY is a good performer.
    {{gwi:663998}}From DayliliesA-C

CARRICK WILDON
    {{gwi:664000}}From DayliliesA-C

PRIMAL SCREAM is a beauty, but has not increased here and has a low bud count.
    {{gwi:663725}}From DayliliesL-P

TANGERINE HORSES is a softer orange...a melon.
    {{gwi:664002}}From DayliliesT-Z

TIGEREYE SPIDER is very fertile.
    {{gwi:662181}}From DayliliesT-Z

TROPICAL SENSATION
    {{gwi:664003}}From DayliliesT-Z

Kathy

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Another good shot of Tigereye Spider! Gonna have to look into oredering that one!

Thanks for the pics!

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

Here are a couple that I like. I'm a little late getting to this so I hope someone is still looking at pictures.
    {{gwi:664004}}

{{gwi:664005}}

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm still looking! Those two are lovely! Thank you so much!

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Still looking and panting for more:) Old Man Winter is getting very old!

There are so many nice daylilies on this post, it would be difficult to narrow it down to just a few.

Vickie

• lisa_3
    14 years ago

Orange Exotica, Double Bronze Beauty, English Muffin (double), Cajun Gambler, All American Tiger (has burgandy eye/edge)

• gardengirl_17
    14 years ago

I love Primal Scream and Carrick Wildon. Other favorites are Alabama Jubilee, Atomic Firefly, Hot Mexican and Up Against the Sun. Below is Alabama Jubilee. I wish I knew how to make the photos just show in the post from my mobil gallery but looks like I have to link to them one at a time. Too much time away from GW and I don't remember how to do things. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Jubilee

• lyle627
    14 years ago

Not many oranges here,only a seedling.
    {{gwi:664006}}

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

Here is some of my favorite oranges.MAUNA LOA,ORANGE VOLS,LEEBEA ORANGE CRUSH and LADY LUCILLE.AH shucks non of my favorites were mention.I also have tons of KWANSO been on our farm for 75 years also grows on the roadside around this area.Almost forgot ORANGE VELVET & EYE YI YI.

PAT

• nikki42
    14 years ago

I have mainly older oranges but my favourite has to be Judah, not as hot as you are looking for but I love it nonetheless. I also love Novelty Number which tends to be soft orange here (rather than the more usual peach in the States)as our northern latitude tends to make daylily colours more saturated because of the different UV intensity (great for the darker varieties but not as good if you want pastels----although my AQUAMARINE is always a stunning colour here and I get a lovely coloured eye on my Mokan Butterfly).

I always feel a bit embarrassed talking about what varieties I have as all of you you no doubt consider them rather dated and old-hat--we are about 15 years behind the States when it comes to getting new daylily varieties over here. I do get rather envious of your access to new varieties.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

The older the cheaper! I have 125 named cultivars and only 20 of them were registered in the last 10 years. There are some newer ones that I would love to have, but I really can't spend the money on them.

And I looked up a picture of MOKAN BUTTERFLY... absolutely gorgeous!

Vickie

• lisa_3
    14 years ago

Nikki-Most of my lilies are older-except ones my dad or aunt has shared with me. I would never replace Trahlyta, Paprika Vevet (another orange, Russian Easter, Nagasaki-or many of my other older flowers. I love them too much! I always have a wish list running of flowers I love-but need to wait until I can afford-sometimes I eventually get them, sometimes not. Sometimes I trade two or three older ones for one nice newer one thru here!

• ozzysboy
    14 years ago

Norris' "Coral Majority" rocks--very deep, yet bright orange. Great grower/increaser too and reblooms despite summer drought, deer and sour clay! I'm also getting Belief in Vein from Ashwood which is orangey--haven't seen it in real life but in general Norris' varieties perform really well for me in Virginia.

Here is a link that might be useful: coral majority

• dragonkeep
    14 years ago

Electric Orange Marmalade grows well for me here in Quincy, FL. The color AND form will knock your socks off. It's round, ruffled, perfectly reflexed, great substance and ORANGE. Orange hasn't been on my list of colors to add to my palate (I tend towards the cooler colors) but I absolutely love this plant. I'm putting in a garden area that will be full of the warmer tones.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

dragonkeep, I tried to look up Electric Orange Marmalade but I couldn't find it in AHS or Tinker's online search. Could this be named a little differently than EOM? If you have a picture, I would love to see it.

Thanks.

Vickie

• dragonkeep
    14 years ago

Sorry about that, Vickie. It's Electric Marmalade Magic. It's been a while since I uploaded anything to Photobucket and I blew my login. It will be a couple of hours probably before it will let me log in. I'll be glad to post a photo then.

Barb

• dragonkeep
    14 years ago

This is Kinnebrew's photo of Electric Marmalade Magic adjusted a bit to match the color in my garden. {{gwi:664007}} The color at my place is like a Dreamsicle on steroids. Details are: Kinnebrew, J 2001 Tet, SEV, EM, Reb, 6"x24", 4 br, 27 buds, Sdlg x SP Starburst Photo by Kinnebrew.

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Whoa! That is very pretty. I think you have described it to a T based on the other pictures I just looked at of EMM. The place I buy it from locally has it listed for $20. I may just have to put that on my short list.

Thank you so much, dragonkeep.

Vickie

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Silly me. I already have ELECTRIC MARMALADE MAGIC (and I only have 125 named daylilies to keep track of, duh!). I just haven't seen it in bloom yet. I remember now that where I planted it last year was kind of in a low spot, so it didn't do very well. Maybe this year will be better. If not, I need to move this baby.

Vickie

• lisa_3
    14 years ago

Aunt Lou-Since you live in Dayton, there is a daylily farm in Oxford called Top O'hill Daylilies. I've not bought anything there, just saw it when taking my daughter to Miami U. Unfortunately, school gets out before garden season begins and it's a three hour drive for us! And while looking up this information, I found one called Majestic Nursery & Gardens in West Alexandria. I'm pretty sure the one in Oxford does mail order. You might find some oranges there.

• dragonkeep
    14 years ago

Do whatever you have to do to make it happy. You won't be sorry. And once you have seen it bloom, you won't forget it!

There are some beauties represented here - love Flasher, Bittersweet Destiny, SC Blast Off, Tequila Mockingbird, Old Tangiers, Orange Cream, Alabama Jubilee, Hot Ember and that lovely seedling.

Some others I have in my picture file of "If Wishes Were Horses" are Aztec Beauty, Britz Orange (a reverse bitone), Cathy Cute Legs, Chinese Autumn, Chocolate Dreams, Christina Cook, Citrix, Coral Moon, Eenie Allegro, Galaxy Explosion, Glorious Autumn, Indian Ripple, Rainbow Over Georgia, Sweet Summer Heat, Sunset Extravaganza and Sheila Broughton.

I own Nectar of the Nile, A Breed Apart (a stippled orange), SC Tiny Perfection, Elizabeth Salter ( a pale orange/melon) and of course, Electric Marmalade Magic and really love all of them.

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

I don't have any really good oranges but I like the Goldner daylilies I have seen in my mother-inlaw's garden. I have asked for Carrick Wildon and/or Orange Clown.

Edward

• aunt_lou
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Been out of town for a few days and am enjoying looking up all of these new [to me] oranges! So many! And gorgeous ones at that!

lisa_3 I was excited about your mention of a daylily farm near me! Sadly, come to find out, she closed Top O'Hill down last spring [2009]. She donated all of the daylilies to the local 4H club.

My Thanks again to everyone for sharing all of their favorite oranges!

aunt lou

• bellasmom06
    14 years ago

My favorite orange is Mauna Loa. It has a wonderful glow to it. It does remind me of Lava!!! Check it out!
    I got mine from Oakes.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

This is an old thread, but I thought "what the heck!" so here are my current favorite oranges.

I love Maryott's Choral Fantasy:
    {{gwi:664008}}

Play to win is another Maryott I like.

{{gwi:664009}}

South Seas, Primal Scream, and Mauna Loa have already been pictured and mentioned.

I have ordered another of Bill's intros (also an orange one) for this year. I had been looking at his future releases, and lusting after this particular orange, and I am looking forward to getting it.

kay