Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Photographing Daylilies

Nancy Barginear
12 years ago

Marianne Joordens has a link to her really good info on photographing daylilies on the robin. Here's a link to her website:

http://ezdaylilies.com/HowTo/Photography/Background.htm

I can't wait to try out her methods.

Nancy

Comments (7)

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Good info, I don't have anything to make a dark background, but there are other things I can try.

• mssunflower
    12 years ago

I went to the website and she does have a number of great ideas. However, she missed one that you might want to try. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a black piece of foam core board and put behind the plant. You do need to watch out for how the sun may throw shadows onto the board, but sometimes it just adds interest to the picture. I have attached a picture of Sunworshipper that I took last year using the foam core board. The picture is cropped down so you don't see the edges of the board but have a nice clean shot of the daylily. You can try different positions with the board as the background and this might save you from having to cut the bloom off of the plant.
    {{gwi:664458}}

Ms. Faith

PS: I really have enjoyed the pictures of daylilies on this forum.

• Nancy
    12 years ago

I'll look for that. I have a new camera this year, I'm anxious to see how it does.

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The foam core board sounds promising, as I really don't have a dark background, save for the weathered gray board fence.

That's a good picture, Jeff! The dark background really makes the daylily stand out.

I have a Photoshop plug-in (not sure if it can be used with other photo-editing software or a stand alone) called Focal Blade which does a great job of sharpening up and clarifying photos. Those of you who use Photoshop might like to check it out.

I haven't used Focal Blade much as I still haven't gotten around to putting up a website. I doubt at this point if I'll ever have anything remarkable enough to sell. All but one of the beautiful seedlings I was so excited about last year died due to last year's disastrous summer.

Nancy

• jclay321
    12 years ago

I use Adobe Lightroom. I haven't used a lot of the editing tools other than cropping, but you can sharpen image and also improve overexposure.
    Will start trying some of these soon.
    -Jeff

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on the black foam core board. I had read her info when she posted on the Robin, and looked around my wide open field where the majority of my daylilies are, and didn't see any "natural" way to have a black background.

I was thinking I needed to find something stiff that I could take into the gardens with me, and that will work wonderfully!

• mssunflower
    12 years ago

Putting something behind your flowers was something that I had read about from several photographers that did flowers. One book that I have was written by a couple that was renowned for their pictures and were professional. They suggested using blue behind the flowers saying that it was complimentary to most flower colors and made the flowers stand out more.

Ms. Faith