Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstmag

More spring blooms

houstmag
11 years ago

It sure has been a warm winter here in FL, the DL's sure are confused and some have already bloomed.

Little Mystic Moon

{{gwi:665151}}

La Mer

{{gwi:665153}}

Arctic Angel

{{gwi:665155}}

Mike Rhoden

{{gwi:665157}}

Summer Dragon

{{gwi:665159}}

I have scapes coming up on a few more so we will see what happens as it is finally supposed to be really cold this weekend.
Linda

Comments (10)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Hi Linda. The blooms are lovely. I especially like Summer Dragon.

My garden is confused too. My tulip tree has blooms ready to open...of course, that tree always blooms repeatedly after it has leafed out. all it takes is a rain and it puts out new blooms. The tulips are already beginning to bloom too, and the daffs have been blooming. The bridal wreath spirea is leafing out in time for the freeze to kill it, as usual.

We are getting that cold tonight, but it is only supposed to last a day or two. Whats a gardener to do?

kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Nice Linda. I couldn't believe you have blooms already but then again, your in a warmer climate that me.

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

oh my, They are beautiful. I really like the first two, alot. very pretty. I will be happy when mine starts to bloom again, but, still a couple months away.

jean

• crackingtheconcrete
    11 years ago

Oh! What a great surprise to find these here :) I especially like La Mer, but all are sweet!

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Linda, could you send some of your Florida warmth my way? I'm impressed that you have daylilies blooming already! ANY daylily blooming in February is a beauty so they are all pretty in my eyes but Little Mystic Moon is my favorite of these.

Celeste

• blue23rose
    11 years ago

A light at the end of the tunnel for the rest of us! It is so good to see 2013 daylilies posted:)

They are all so pretty. I lie La Mer the best!

• dementieva
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of daylilies to be blooming already. On the south side of Houston, I don't have any spring scapes yet. The Jane magnolia (I'm still not sure if this is the same as a tulip tree) has been blooming like crazy this week, and two iris have scapes forming. We don't have any azaleas, but everyone else's are blooming heavily right now.

Nate

• Cindy zone 6a
    11 years ago

Very nice to see blooms on this cold day!
    cindy

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I am 2 hours NE of Houston and we are still getting very chilly temperatures. I was weeding today and was shocked to see a bloom scape coming up on Racing The Moon. I have never seen one this early - usually they start in April. Whats up with this I wonder? Winter hasnt been as cold as it can be, but still we have had freezing temps and things are just barely starting to wake up. Is this abnormal?
    Judith

• houstmag
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Judith it seems a lot of folks I know seem to be having blooms or scapes earlier than normal including me I usually don't see any scapes until end of March. Strange weather I guess I had to days of cold weather with frost this weekend and now it's warmed up again with temps in the mid eighties by this weekend no wonder the plants are confused.
    Linda

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!