Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to Plant with Siloam Sugar Time

Posted by prairiegirlz5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 15:53

It looks like people here answer the posts the same year as they're made, so I'm going to take a shot and ask you kind folks to help me out.

I thought I had identified the short, somewhat fragrant, smaller-flowered daylily I inherited from the previous homeowners as Black-eyed Stella. Come to find out, it's probably Siloam Sugar Time, thanks to Home Depot, who had some in this past year. I love this plant! It has sturdy, apricot-colored blooms with a burgundy eye zone and a greenish throat. I usually prefer brighter colored blooms.
I have orange coneflower, Blue Fortune agastache, calamintha, lady's mantle, purple sedum and plan to add Blue Paradise phlox and Royal Sunset lilies to this one area of the garden. Do you have any other suggestions that would help me show off this pale colored daylily? I was thinking a blue flower like echinops or eryngium??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to Plant with Siloam Sugar Time

I love blue flowers and agree that it would look nice with your daylily. Here is a similar combo - balloon flowers (platycodon) planted with SILOAM SHOCKER -

Kathy

o
RE: What to Plant with Siloam Sugar Time

I do love this combo. The balloon flower is a much better "true blue" than I thought possible. I have noted that the pink plant is a zinnia~Thanks again katlynnlily!:0)

o
Apricot Color Combination

"I just got my new issue of Garden Gate magazine, and on the back cover they pair Apricot Beauty tulip with woodland phlox and Gold Coast juniper. I found a phlox called Clouds of Perfume that needs part shade, humus rich soil that matches the color shown. The effect was vibrant and fresh.
That pairing inspired me to think about planting lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis) with my apricot colored daylily and maybe ageratum, as I have more sun and the daylily blooms later in summer. The apricot shade is too pretty to pass up, but I also have found it hard to combine."

I posted this in the Bulbs forum. Strangely, it was encouraging to read that others struggled to make the most of this color in the garden. I really like the idea of adding something with vibrant pink flowers to complement the burgundy eye zone. I can't wait until summer to try it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here