Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

Winter Storm Nemo

avedon_gw
11 years ago

Another bad winter storm going to hit the northeast. Hope all Forum friends have made preparations and will be safe. Let us hear how you are doing, if possible. There are bound to be power outages with these high winds and snow. Avedon

Comments (14)

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

The snow did not start here till 3PM today. Winds are now picking up with higher gusts picking up about an hour ago. We don't anticipate more than 6 inches here. Much less than those south and east of us. It is a wet (heavy) snow so hopefully the power stays on.
    We shall see what we have to clean up in the morning.

Hope everyone else is weathering the storm okay.

Julia

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

It finally ended here about an hour ago. It started up first thing yesterday morning and the winds were fierce but luckily we kept our power. I just ventured out and took some photos but couldn't stay outside long with the wind still whipping. It is really COLD with all that blowing snow and wind chills in the single digits. There's at least 2 feet of it, with drifts & banks 3 to 4 feet tall. I had to laugh that they called it 'Winter Storm NEMO'....that is my fat cat's name...haha.

Celeste

There's my house somewhere back there....
    {{gwi:669074}}

{{gwi:669076}}

The car is somewhere under there....
    {{gwi:669078}}

to show how ferocious the winds are, look at how high up this enormous pine tree the snow was blown
    {{gwi:669080}}

This was taken looking out my lower floor window...the snow is right up to the sill and the mourning doves were at eye level
    {{gwi:669082}}

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

oh my, these pictures are wonderful.Soooo pretty.The first one is so pretty with that snow sitting on them branches, looks like a christmas tree.Looks like every one got a lot of snow. ilooked at the weather channel all day yesterday,watching the predictions for all the east coast.Thats a lot of snow all at one time.Thank you for sharing your pictures with us.I love all your pictures.You had some fabuleous pictures last year of all the snow.

jean

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

Oh I love the pictures of the doves! I'm so glad you didn't lose your power, that would be horrible. Stay warm and take care, Theresa

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I bet fat Cat Nemo didnt want no part of all that snow and happy to stay inside where its warm.I been watching all the news on tv,and seeing the pictures of all that snow in Connecicut, and Boston,etc, today was lots of pictures of LOng Island with all the cars stranded there.Thats really some deep snow to try to get around in.I guess all them people had got off work and was trying to get home and got stuck.

jean

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Celeste, so glad to know you didn't lose power, and thanks for going outside in the cold to take those lovely pictures. Yes, the doves are so pretty, but knowing they were at eye level because the snow was so heavy would not have made me happy!! I was concerned about Rita because of the very heavy snowfall on Long Island, but I see she is posting on ATP, so she is okay. I'm sure everybody will be glad when the thaw sets in and maybe get back to "normal". Avedon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

avedon ,What is the ATP? never heard of that before.

jean

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Jean...ATP is 'All Things Plants' which is another forum.
    They have a daylily forum over there and Rita posts on there.
    Fat Cat Nemo whined at the door once during the snowstorm and when I opened the door to let him out he promptly ran back in...LOL! He doesn't like getting his paws cold & wet and will not go out in the snow. So he pretty much slept right through the storm named 'Nemo'.

Celeste

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Can't believe how much of the snow is already gone. Temps went up yesterday and we had a bit of rain. Saturday we stayed in and on Sunday did some snowblowing of the drifts. Should have waited since now almost all of the snow is about gone again. LOL.

Hoping for an early spring here :-)

Julia

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, Guys, I wanted to post a few pics of our daffodils in bloom, but we are having a rain storm right now, and this could last for awhile. We are happy, because we are still in a drought situation, and any rain we get is welcome. I think by Thursday the sun will be out, so I will try for pictures then. The weather guessers are also saying by the end of the weekend, there could be a little snow flurry activity, but don't know if it will get here, must wait and see. We have a number of daylilies with green foliage well up, but that is to be expected. Even the dormants are poking up, so spring may arrive here sooner than we think. Avedon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Fat Cat NEMO aint no dummy :) Him a smart cat. HE knew when he felt that cold air hit when you opened the door for him to go out and seen that white stuff in the yard, it was no where he wanted to go.,Thats funny, Nemo is so pretty.. Most cats dont like to get the feet wet, OR the body either, altho,I use to have a torti colored persian cat that loved a bath.It was hard to give her a bath.I have a plastic Laundry tub on legs that I use to bathe her in, and she would lay down on my hand that I kept under her,and try to sleep,and it was so hard to give her a bath.I would try to make her stand up so I could wash her tummy, but, she would just flop down again, to sleep..I also had a cream colored male persian I gave a bath to, too, and he wouldnt try to get out of the tub, but, he really didnt care to be wet.They both loved getting dry with the blow dryer.

Jean

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well,I went looking for that siteATP, since suppose to be daylilys on it, but,I could not find itor any other daylily site, either.

jean

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, let's see if this helps you. Type in All Things Plants.com. That should enable you to go the the website---click it on and you will see a long list of 74 forums. You pick daylilies, open it and if you are looking for Rita's posts, look for the thread that says Winter In Your Garden 2012-2013. There is a feature on ATP forums I like, which is the ability to jump to the end of the thread or sometimes it is "first unread". You can pick up Rita on No. 35 and go from there or to go the end which is No. 36 and backtrack until you find her posts. Hope this helps, good luck. Avedon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Yes, AVEDON. Thank you,I didnt know this existed. will have to check out some things on it. Thank you,

Jean

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County