Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring and not so much spring pictures and garden news.

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 17:17

Today I was taking pictures out in the garden. First some early daffodils blooming over in the left side of the front yard.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It has been a very mild winter and the honeysuckle vines stayed green all year and are already growing.

Photobucket

Even the tulips are coming up out of the ground already. I think it's early for that but I guess they know what they are doing. These are Darwins and on their second year having been planted not last fall but the year before. I planted them really deep hoping for good returns.

Photobucket

Dutch Iris have already sprouted lots of folliage but it is a long time untill they are supposed to bloom around here!

Photobucket

But not everything is growing. Here is the driveway side slope that is covered in four rows of daylily plants. Right now you can barely see anything between the straw mulch. After they start growing you can't even see the mulch that is always between them. And of course this slope is stunning in bloom come summer. Pretty sorry looking right now, isn't it? You can barely even see one of the daylily plants in the closeup as no daylilies are growing around here yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

That brings me to the front yard. It just looks like a mass of leaf mulch on the bottom terrace since you can't even see where the two rows of daylilies are along the front. You can't see the daylilies at either end of those two belgium block terraces either. You can just see the daffodils along in there. At least the early daffs are blooming. Many more to come as in there is a long trumpet mix of which most are just still low to the ground as they started growing.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring and not so much spring pictures and garden news.

On the one hand it is nice to see the daffs but how will the actual spring bloom time be looking with everything blooming now?
I'm hoping all of mine stay hidden till the end of March.

Most of the sevs/evs still have the green way down but the dormants, as far as I can tell, are still hiding and no blossoms on the forsythia which is a good sign. However, the pussy willow is blooming. I just love those soft nubs on the branches BUT it is early for them to start.

Julia

o

Well, here I have lots of daffs and these are just the very extra early ones. Plenty of others still to come. But I never had daffs bloom in February before.

o

Spring really is popping, isn't it? I have a surprising number of daffs blooming also. Most are those old fashioned extra early ones, but it is still early. We've had some really cold days & they have still thrived though. My dwarf iris are in bloom, actually should be finishing soon. I'm seeing more iris & daylily foliage all the time. Today was beautiful outside, I spent a lot of time in the garden.

o

I am just so ready for winter to be over and it wasn't even much of a winter here. Almost always warm for this time of year with lots and lots of rain but no snow. But I still hardly spend any time outdoors. Just stay in and wait for warmer weather and things in the garden to green up.

o

Hey Rita, Nice to see some color in your garden! We've had warm weather, but not many sunny days. It has been overcast and dreary with a few showers. It sure looks wintery outside, even if it doesn't feel like it. Hurry up Spring!
Kathy

o

Wow, Rita...daffodils in February! That is crazy-early. Good to see them, but hopefully you will have still more blooms at the correct time. Glad to see your daylilies know better than to start up just yet. You never know what Mother Nature has up her sleeve. I have snow here...not real deep but its white everywhere for a change, with more snow on the way. What a weird winter is right! This is the least snowy winter on record here. My husband's business relies on the snow for revenue and he has gone without a paycheck for a couple weeks now. It feels strange to be wishing for snow!

Celeste

o

It seems everyone is having a warm winter. I already have DL's blooming and some others are starting to send up scapes at this rate everything will be done blooming in April instead of just starting in April.
Linda

o

No wishing for snow here, only wishing for spring. But it is coming now that it is almost March. I will be working on my spring rose prunning very soon as each spring I trim my roses back really strongly.

And it's great to start up daylily season early but not so hot if that means it is over in a big fat hurry. That is why I have been adding more and more and more of the late and extra late bloomers. This way my daylily season truely does last a very long time.

o

Today is another nice day and I was outside this afternoon pushing off and taking off mulch that had blown around (fall leaves) off some of the tulips. The three new sections of Darwins (some are shown in the tulip picture I took above) which are now on their second spring are coming up really nicely. I planted them deeply not last fall but the year before. At this stage just from looking I can't see any difference between what they looked like last spring coming up and what they look like now. Meaning the beds looks full with lots of tulips so looks like great return.

But I was also removing mulch from the section of the extra early mix I bought from Scheepers. Those are not Darwins, they bloom earlier. I had 200 but from the looks of what is coming up, nowhere near that now. Poor return. Looks like less than half of what I had last year. I am hoping that since it is still early more of those tulips might still come up but not sure that will happen. I should of planted more of those extra earlies along in that same section like I thought of doing this past fall but for some reason I didn't order them and didn't do it. As of now I deffinately plan to add more of them this fall. The section I am referring to is in the front yard between and in back of the daylilies along the stone wall.

Then I also have a section in another garden bed. Some perrenials in the back (columbines) then a row of daffs in front of that. Literally a row because that is how I planted them. Then a row of clumps of tulips in front of the daffs. They were planted 5 of a type in a grouping in a hole. Then dig next hole next to it and five more and so on. Well some clumps comming up but bare spots between them which means certain clumps not coming up at all. These were non darwins, don't remember which class, that I bought because they were so pretty. Planted just as deeply. So no knowing if they might show up but not looking promising. I will have to replant there by just marking with a brick each empty spot in the row so I know were to put new clumps in the fall.

o

The daffodils are just lovely, and are blooming nicely for you. Only my crocus are in bloom here, and they are a few weeks early. No complaints about that. I am ready for spring and like you my winter really wasn't all that bad.
Hope your tulips start to come along, they were all so beautiful last year.
cindy

o

Hi Rita,
Well, it won't be long until green is pushing up through all that straw and the leaves. The daffs look very pretty.

I have lots of tulips and the daffs are blooming. Winter forget to stop here. It had a few short visits. That doesn not bode well for my season, I'm afraid. AAh well, it is what it is. We will likely have a late cold snap to cause more damage, but that's weather. At least we aren't in Europe's freezer.
kay

o

We have had a winter with lots and lots of rain but no snow. In fact it is raining now. Rained all night and supposed to keep up thru tomorrow. Imagine if it was all snow. But I hate the snow so glad to have the rain and the overly warm winter this year.

Never have I had daffodils blooming in February. Starting in Mid March rarely in a very early year and often not until mid April. But I am looking forward to all the daff and tulip blooms and already plotting to get more bulbs to plant this comming fall. I do love those spring bulbs.

Crazy weather has been all over the place this year. While we had a warm winter here in the east and much of the midwest Alaska has had a deepfreeze going with really, really exceptional cold since last fall. I don't know what's going on in the world.

o

Maybe it is just early for some of the tulips, or maybe some have pulled down deeper than others. I don't think my tulips stopped coming up, they just don't bloom. Every once in a while I'll dig them up, divide them & replant. I'll get some nice blooms for a couple of years.

o

I guess I will just have to wait and see on those tulips. Nothing I can do about it now anyway. I just really want a truely lovely spring bloom from the tulips and the daffodils both.

o

Well Rita, you know I always buy and plant new tulips. The cost of a hundred of them is less than many daylilies I buy, and I love the bloom! Planting them is a bit of a pain, but it is worth it. Now I need to handle the squirrel problem, and I will be set. Your tulips were so lovely last year, we are all hoping for good rebloom.
kay

o

I always think of spring when my crocus bloom. Today I have three crocus blooming so that means it must officially be spring in my garden. I used to have more crocus, I just don't anymore what with all the garden bed redos. I have decided that I will definately plant a really large amount of them this fall. At least a thousand I think. If I do that then next spring I wouldn't have any problems finding crocus blooming.

Kay, definately the planting in the fall of all those bulbs is too much work but then it sure is worth it in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here