Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryinla

Spider and blue-eyed daylily, zone 9

maryinLA
12 years ago

This is my first post. I live in Zone 9, southern Louisiana. I just prepared my first large Daylily and Bearded Iris Garden in October (25 of each) and can't wait to see the results of my hard labor. I am very interested in obtaining strong colored, beautiful Spider Daylilies that would hold their color in this hot climate. The hybridizer's pictures have been so altered by their cameras, that I am dissapointed when I look at individual's picture of the daylilies. The same goes for a Blue, or Blue-eyed Daylily, of any type. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good Spider and Blue in the South? Thanks for your help. Mary

Comments (4)

• floota
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, you live near some wonderful daylily gardens in your home state!
    I don't know how close these are to you but I have visited three of the four gardens listed here and heard great things about the fourth.
    Ken Begnaud specializes in small and miniature blue eyed daylilies that do well in LA. You should plan to visit their garden and see them in person! Tim Tassin has some super UF and spider cultivars.

These first two are AHS Display Gardens
    Bayou Bend Daylilies, Josh Jacques, 59 Bayou Clear Road, Woodworth, LA 70485 joshjaques@bayoubenddaylilies.com (318) 613-2618

Beau Basin Gardens, Kenneth & Melissa Begnaud, 5237 Moss Street, Lafayette, LA 70507 kwbmgb@cox.net (337) 896-5502
    (337) 371-6957 cell

Also look up Joe Goudeaus' garden in Baker, LA, just outside of Baton Rouge. Link to his website posted below!

Tim Tassin has Day By Daylilies and he is in St. Amant, LA.
    Here is his website link: http://www.daybydaylilies.com/
    Anytime you can visit a garden in person and see the plants growing well, you have an idea of how well something will do in your climate. All four of these folks hybridize and create their daylilies right in your home state, so their plants were bred for your climate and should all do well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dayllies Etc. - Goudeau garden

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with recommendations since my zone is cooler temp wise than yours but the previous post appears to give you several options to start with.

Also, consider joining your local club to get recommendations as well. I've attached a link to the AHS Region 13 clubs.

Good luck with your search.
    Julia

Here is a link that might be useful: Local clubs Louisana

• maryinLA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julia and Floota. Thank ya'll so very much. I can't wait to go to the LA gardens sent to me by Floota. They are within 2 hours of my home. Being new to forums and plant webs, I'm not sure yet how to use everything. My Irises have come from Schreiner's and daylilies from a few different places, some from Kennesaw, all Mail order. I didn't know we had some gardens in LA. THAT'S WHY I TURNED TO THE FORUM :) Julia, I saw your garden pics yesterday, and they're beautiful plants. I have some of those bearded yellows and pinks from Schriener's. If they do well in my garden, when its time to divide in a year or two, I'll try to remember to call you. Thanks again to both of you, Mary

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Welcome Mary,

I've linked below to Charlette's website, she has links to tons of websites.

I think a true blue color in a daylily will be hard to find .. I think they are getting closer, but I see more of a purple color than true blue most of the time. It's all in the eye of the beholder! LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlottes

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company