Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

warm yellow daylilies

Below is a picture of one of my favorite colors in daylilies - warm yellow. It is not lemon, it is not pale, it is not gold. It's just a warm sunny yellow named All In Ruffles. I'm looking for suggestions for another warm yellow, full figured daylily (ruffles are great) that is colorfast/sunfast. Any suggestions are most welcome:
{{gwi:671446}}

Maryl

Comments (23)

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

Crown of Creation is just a hair to the orange side, but very pretty.

• lisa_3
    11 years ago

I also like Golden Hibiscus. In the right conditions, the green spots are more pronounced.

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

We used to vacation in Michigan and every year on the way home we would stop at this place that had a sign that said daylilies for sale. There was just a hand painted sign by the side of the road and once you drove down a very long dusty lane there was a field of daylilies. I never could figure out who was running it. There were Mexicans who couldn't speak much english and I presume lived in the old trailer which sat there. I would get so excited when we would arrive each year and see row upon row of daylilies! One that I still have I call Michigan yellow is very nice. It's yellow, and if you like it you can have some. It seems to have great bud count.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

One of the yellows I have here is CANTER (Rice) which I absolutely love.
    Julia

• katlynn719
    11 years ago

BUTTERED POPCORN isn't fancy, but it's a reliable work horse -
    {{gwi:671448}}
    Kathy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm loving the daylilies everyone has posted. I know yellow seems to be everywhere, but a non fading sunny yellow with good form and abundant bloom had me scratching my head. I love the edge on Crown of Creation and Cantor, and Golden Hibiscus looks luscious. Coincidently I received Oakes catalog yesterday and they have Golden Hibiscus in it. Was it fate? So nice of you Flowergirl to offer a piece of your beautiful yellow. I certainly will think about it. I've heard good things about Buttered Popcorn too, although I would really like a fancier edge if possible, but that's not written in concrete.....Again, thanks for all of your suggestions. My list is growing.......Maryl

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

I am wondering if this qualifies--I believe this is a photo of Good Impression. I have been looking for the photo of Princeton Point Lace, too, but haven't been able to locate it. These two are probably the only ones we grow that might be called warm yellow. I think all the other yellows we have fall into the lemon to gold range. Avedon

{{gwi:671449}}

Good Impression

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Check out BIG BIRDS FRIEND, a very nice looking DL thats huge :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Roth daylilies

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

Mikhail - Russia, Moscow
    Some my favourite yellow daylilies

ATOMIC GLOW

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

BLONDES BEACH

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

KING'S GOLDEN CROWN

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

KING'S GOLDEN CROWN

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

GOLDEN CHILD

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

SHAMROCK DEW

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

TONY HOUSEMAN

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

DIANA CULBERTSON

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

MOUNT HERMAN SONATA

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

JARAD

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

WAXED MINT

• Mikhail-A
    11 years ago

ROMANCING SUMMER

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Mikhail for contributing these lovely daylilies to my list. I don't know how much in common Moscow sunlight and Oklahoma sunlight have in common in the summer, but I'm betting these hold their color better all day in your climate then in mine. Your pictures are awesome and just the form and ruffled appearance I'd like to have in a daylily. Thank you again for taking the time to add them. I'll be looking them up for sure........Maryl

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Omomuki is wonderful. This isn't the best photo.

{{gwi:658973}}

I think I had All in Ruffles but it really faded for me and that was in a garden that got quite a bit of shade. I loved the form though.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I remember correctly All In Ruffles does fade a bit, but it's very pretty when it first starts out and just the color/form I want - but in a non-fader. America's Most Wanted I thought at first filled the bill, but it faded to almost white by late afternoon. So......the search continues. I have ordered an older Carr daylily called Stroke of Brillance that looks to be colorfast, but until I try it myself I won't know. Interestingly enough, even in roses it's hard to find a warm medium yellow that doesn't fade. Who knew the same problem would occur in yellow daylilies.....Thanks Swontgirl for the comments and another nice yellow to investigate........Maryl