Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DL "on the rocks" - When do I plant them?

Posted by DragonflyRhino 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 20:13

I have been doing allot of experimenting with starting DL's from seed using lots of different methods. Some have been good some not so much but this new method "On the Rocks" is blowing me away! Its so simple and I had roots showing their pretty selves within 48 hours on some of them. One thing I can't determine based on the readings I have done is WHEN I need to plant them in dirt - The one article I read and used showed waiting til green started showing but he had a very low success rate once they were planted so I wonder if anyone has any experience using this method and when the best time to plant them is? Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylilies on the rocks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DL "on the rocks" - When do I plant them?

I always wait until there's a good amount of green showing, the poor success rate after sowing may have more to do with the growing medium itself. Use a quality sowing medium, I also topdress with sand to prevent fungus gnat infestation.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 17:09

I was going to try this method too when I ran across the website a couple of months ago. I even ordered the little 2oz cups and everything. I didn't end up doing it because I had the same question as you....when to transplant them! Keep us updated, I may want to try it still.

I did find that those 2oz cups with lids are excellent for germinating seeds in! I just fill them all the way to the top with a few drops of peroxide and then the lid keeps them underwater. It works so much better than germinating them in the little baggies they arrive in from sellers which tend to leak. I also re-use the cups and just cross out the old cross and write the new one on it.

Tammy

o

Tammy I found this that answered my question:) He grows them in the rocks til they are 3-4 inches tall! See the link below:) I had my first moldy seed today - NASTY smell!!! Mine are growing pretty well!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Day Lily On The Rocks

o

I start seeds with the Deno method. After the seed sprouted, I plant in a seedling mix until it develops 3 leaves. Then I repot to a 3" pot. Currently I have over 56 seedlings growing under lights. They will be planted out end of May.

Last year I had 124 daylily seedling bloom at 14 months to my surprise.

o

I start seeds with the Deno method. After the seed sprouted, I plant in a seedling mix until it develops 3 leaves. Then I repot to a 3" pot. Currently I have over 56 seedlings growing under lights. They will be planted out end of May.

Last year I had 124 daylily seedling bloom at 14 months to my surprise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here