Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdjcb

starting very first seeds, need help!

gdjcb
11 years ago

Hello,

I have received all 300+ seeds purchased from the LA. I have researched this forum and the internet for info on best ways to plant and grow daylilies, I am now confused. Every article and post starts with, there are many other ways, but here is mine, and you know what, they are right. I have yet to see two that are the same from start to finish. Should I soak the seeds first, in fridge or room temperature in closet. Should I use tap water, distilled water, add bleach or hydrogen peroxide or maybe just water and this is before the seed is even planted. Please, help! What have you had success with? Not sure if it matters at all, but I am in zone 5/6, have south window exposure but no lights or green house to use. I have had success growing many other plants from seed, perhaps I am over thinking this, but these are by far the most expensive seeds I will have tried and would like the best chance of success as possible.

Thanks,
Gale

Comments (5)

• del_s
    11 years ago

We have had excellent success with the following procedure:
    1. Mix a 20:1 solution of water to hydrogen peroxide. We use distilled water. Haven't tried tap water, so can't say if one is preferable over the other.
    2. Using 10 seeds from one cross as an example, I place the seeds in a Ziploc baggie and pour in about a half cup of solution. You want to have enough solution to give plenty of moisture to the seeds.
    3. Label the baggie with the cross information so you don't lose track.
    4. We try to find a warm place in the house to put the baggies. In my experience, room temperature is a tad too cool for best germination. If you can find a spot that is in the low mid 70's, I think your germination rate will be good.
    5. Check regularly to see if seeds are starting to sprout. When I see the white of the root tip showing, then I plant.
    6. I plant each seed in its own cup. I use the large red plastic cups you can get at Costco. I drill 6 drainage holes near the bottom of each cup. I fill the cup with potting soil (We use Pro-Mix) to about a half inch from the top. I poke a hole in the soil mix with a pencil to a depth that will allow the seed to be about its own length under the soil, and drop the seed in, rootlet down.
    7. Keep the soil moist. Water with diluted fertilizer every other week. There are probably a lot of variations on this schedule out there. We grow our plants under flourescent 4' shop lights with a couple of different wavelengths of light. Lights are on a timer so the plants get light for about 16 hours per day. I keep the lights a couple of inches above the plants as they grow.
    8. I used to start the plants at the end of January, but I found that since I can't really get them out in the ground till mid late May, the plants got too spindly. Last year I started them at the end of February and they were nice and stocky by planting time and went into the ground and continued growing with no shock.
    Hope this helps.
    Del

• gdjcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Del, Thanks for the info. Do you wait for sprouting of all the seeds before you plant them or is there a point were you go ahead and plant seeds that haven't sprouted, assuming that they are not mushy?

Thanks,
    Gale

• darobi2459
    11 years ago

Dont wait to long Gale, the little tail on the ones that sprouted will go to moosh. I have done both (wet and soil) this is my first year at this as well. With the number of seeds you have I would just put them in a soiless mix. 5 or so to a 16oz cup worked good for me. Get great soil! Dont go cheap here. Also if you only have windows, I might wait for a while longer to start and let the sun outside do some of the growing for you a few weeks after germination.

Good Luck! David

• del_s
    11 years ago

We have limited room, so if the seeds do not sprout after a week or so, then I make the assumption that they are not likely to and move on. If you have lots of room, go ahead and plant. Perhaps the warmth of the sun will help them germinate.

• gdjcb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Gale