Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
over my head genetics

Posted by darobi2459 none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 22:02

Hi everyone, I found this page while looking up how to cause mutations or inbreeding in daylilies. It is over my head for the most part, but maybe someone could brake it down for some of us here :)

In the last part it discusses that a blue daylily will come from crossing a blue eye with a white. Interesting stuff here...Enjoy :)

Here is a link that might be useful: genetics of daylily color

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: over my head genetics

The suggestion that blue could be produced by selecting using crosses of 'bluish' eyed plants with 'near-whites' was made quite some time ago. I think hybridizers who tried that strategy were not successful.

A reasonable strategy is to select as parents plants with the most 'bluish' flower colours and cross them together. If one has only one such plant then crossing it to a near-white is reasonable, but then so would be crossing it to a lavender or perhaps even a pink or dark bluish-purple. There is no easy wasy to get bluish daylilies except to select generation after generation for more blue in the flowers.

There is an idea tha if one can produce a 'bluish' eyed plant then one could select parents so that the eye came to cover the whole petal. I think that will be difficult as the petal in most plants, including daylilies, has two slightly different parts (lower half versus upper half - not top versus bottom of the petal). The different parts are important for developing the flower and for what happens when the flower bud opens and the petals expand. Eyes typically do not extend much past the half-way point on petals and may be linked to the differences in the two petal parts.

If one was to breed for petals that were all eyes one could do that by keeping the size of the petal large and selecting for wider eyes and smaller petal remainder while maintaining the petal length. Or one could reduce the size of the petal so that it was only eye. In that case one would select for smaller petal remainder while maintaining the eye width (selecting for shorter petals that were all eye). The two strategies are not necessarily genetically equivalent.

Maurice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here