Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solo cups vs. cells

Posted by darobi2459 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 23:05

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my seedling experience thus far. I planted half of my seeds in cells and the other half in solo cups. The solo cup seeds are twice as big as the cells, but the ones in the cells seem to have stockier growth. Is this pretty common?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solo cups vs. cells

My understanding from those that have used what is called "tree plug cells" that they felt the roots develop better because of the confined space.
I don't use plugs/cells for starting daylily seeds. I do use the 16oz red cups each year and experience no difficulty with good root development. I would guess that those in milder climate may want to use the plugs/cell type as I would suspect they would be replanting theirs sooner than I would here in the north. Just a theory. I start mine usually the end of January/beginning of February but don't plant them out till mid May, weather permitting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here