Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

Two Scapes!

Nancy Barginear
11 years ago

I knew we were having an unseasonably warm winter this year, and was worrying about my daylilies possibly getting confused. Today I discovered two scapes with buds on CHINA CLIPPER!

Nancy

Comments (11)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well, Lucky you.It hasn't been that warm here this winter, but not feezing either.Just cold a few days, then warms back up a few days. Be sure to get a picture to show us when it blooms.

Jean

• dementieva
    11 years ago

I'm curious when scapes will start popping up here too. Two of my fall acquisitions just finished blooming from their California-induced scapes.

Nate

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I always get a kick out of the fact that there are places warm enough to already have scapes popping up. And of course I'm envious along with my amusement...LOL. (I won't see my first scapes til July). Good for you and enjoy those blooms! Photos are always welcome.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Wow, Nancy! That is early. I hope mine hold off longer this year than last. We are getting a good amount of rain at this time.

I am considering beginning some natural fertiization, such as seaweed or alfalfa meal soon., and with the greens popping up, I need to spay for thrips right away.

I am still cleaning up areas, but intend to go ahead with downsizing my iris area. I am not going to spend the requisite time to weed three pretty large beds repeatedly for a two or three week bloom season. My daylilies require so much less time, and much longer bloom season. Which doesn't mean I intend to expand them a lot. I am deciding what companion plants to add. It is fun to plan for the spring and summer now.
    kay

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Not a surprise to me, a number of our DLs are now breaking dormancy and I am not happy. I wanted much colder temps for a longer time, in hopes it might slow down any rust that has lingered. We have begun some garden cleanup and in a couple of weeks I will be out pruning roses, which are already showing new leaves here. Oh, we also have daffodils starting to bloom. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Thumbs up Nancy.

Julia

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, I'm so glad you mentioned thrips! I hadn't thought about them. Will call my pest control man and have him start spraying for them. I have stopped using chemical fertilizers for good. It looks like it's about time to start spraying again with seaweed fertilizer. Those daylilies that survived last summer's drought are deep green and multiplying. It's the best they've looked since we moved here.

Avedon, my dormants have not even gone fully dormant. They've just "diminished" in size. Normally February is our nastiest cold month but so far, it looks like spring is here.

Potted fall seedlings that have been kept in kiddy pools full of water are looking fabulous - I'd "guesstimate" that they are 4-5 times larger than the others. I wouldn't be surprised if these "water bed" babies bloom this spring.

If and when CHINA CLIPPER blooms, I'll be happy to post a picture.

Nancy

• gwnichole
    11 years ago

I also have early scapes! Mine is a brand new plant, Cape Coral. It also bloomed in November!!

• gwnichole
    11 years ago

I also have early scapes! Mine is a brand new plant, Cape Coral. It also bloomed in November!!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I was shocked to find a scape today while weeding on Racing The Moon. I am in the same area as Nancy. I have never seen bloom scapes this early. Spring has barely started here.
    Judith

• Nancy Barginear
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't seen scapes this early until this year --- ever! I now have three scapes on CHINA CLIPPER with color showing in buds on the first scape that came up already. MEE YING has two scapes. It is new and growing in a pot.

Due to our unusual winter this year, I must have 10-20 daylilies that think they are shrubs. Their growth rate has been phenomenal, including some that were planted last spring.

Almost all of the dormants have not gone fully dormant and have resumed growth, but many Sevs have gone into semi-dormancy, more so than the dormants.

Nancy

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz