Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Favorite places to order Daylilies from

natalie4b
12 years ago

I usually buy mine from local plant nurseries, and yesterday placed an order in Oaks Daylilies catalog for the first time.

What are your preferred catalogs and most reliable places to order?

Thanks!

~Natalie

Comments (10)

• cristina8873
    12 years ago

My favorites have been Le Petit Jardin and Floyd Cove. Experienced hybridizers who breed vigorous plants with astoundingly beautiful blooms

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Cristina - I will check them out.
    ~Natalie

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Oaks is a good first start. I used them when I first began growing daylilies myself. Because of rust concerns I try and go with more northerly growers when I can, although so far I've not had a problem with the vendors that are in warmer climates below:
    Shaws Sunshine Gardens
    Marietta gardens
    Roycroft Daylily Nursery

I've used Dianes Daylilies in Utah quite alot for some of the Stamile introductions. She's johnny on the spot when it comes to communications. She has answered my e-mail even on a Sunday night.

My favorite seller though is Earlybird Daylilies in Kansas. You can't go wrong with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlybird Daylilies

• dixiedumplin
    12 years ago

Natalie, I have a pretty long list and have been very happy with all of the ones I'm listing. Some are better than others about responding to e-mails but I've never been disappointed in the plants. Sheep Run, Valley of the Daylilies, Cheryl's Daylilies, His Glories, Daylilies by the Pond, Farmhouse, Marietta's, Earlybird, Soules, Joiners, Sunshine Hollow, Crossborder Daylilies, Hoot Owl Hollow, Peace on Earth, Tranquil Lake, Sunset Meadows, Ashwood, Wynn's. I have some dls coming this spring from some I've never ordered from before but the communication has been absolutely great and I have no doubt the plants will be the same. They are Cottage Gardens, Daylilies, Etc., Blue Ridge, Shady Rest, Moon Shadow Gardens, Seawrights, Slightly Different Nursery and gary Schabens (senior moment - I can' think of the name). There are a couple of smaller hybridizers I've ordered from who seem to be terrific and generous people. I plan to try Dancing Daylilies later. There are a couple I haven't been pleased with because of communication problems but I'll try to be kind and not mention names. If I had bunches of money I'd be ordering more from some of the better known hybridizers this spring but retirement income only goes so far. Hope this helps.

DD

• dixiedumplin
    12 years ago

Natalie, I knew I'd forget some: Simonton Bridge and Shaw's.
    Excellent people to deal with. I've had some very nice e-mails from some of the folks on the LA who have very good recommendations.

DD

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow - that's a lot to check out - thank you, DD and Mary!
    I feel like it is a beginning of a new great obsession for me :).

• dixiedumplin
    12 years ago

Natalie, believe me! It is an obsession but a great one.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

Love Maryotts, Goldcoast, Jordans, Moons Garden - they send huge plants. I have been ordering [too much] from the Lily Auction and I am not sure where I am going to plant all these....so trying to hold it down a bit. There are so many good places - I have never had a bad experience with any I have ordered from. I will order from whoever has the plants I want at the best price and have not been disappointed.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Bill Maryott is my favorite. I'll second Sunshine Hollow, Marietta, and Blue Ridge. Since you are in zone 8, Art Gallery Garden plants would do well for you. Sooner or later, the climate will predispose you to rust. Hot and humid. Be sure to water at the roots, not your foliage to reduce the chance. You should do very well, but remember, it takes more than one year for the fancy ones to really show their stuff.

There will be a lot of pictures soon and you can see what you like. Have fun. It is an addiction.
    kay

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

I love Maryott and have had good luck with Ladybug even though they are in sunny Florida and I am in cold Ohio! For northern grown daylilies, I've shopped at Valley of the Daylilies and Heavenly Gardens (Gossards). I've ordered from several smaller gardens, but can't remember them all-I should keep better records.
    I've placed an order with Brown's Ferry this year for the first time-but my dad has ordered from them in the past and was pleased.