Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

Who grows the very tall ones?

ontnative
12 years ago

There are a number of newer (but reasonably priced) very talls out there. I am thinking of Rainbow Towers, Sears Tower, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Notify Ground Crew. Anyone care to comment on these? Are the scapes strong or do some fall over/lean a bit? What about flower power? I don't care if the flowers are small, but I want something that I don't have to stake. This plant will get mostly sun, but not full day sun, if that makes a difference as to chosing cultivars. I already grow Autumn Minaret and Tetrinas Daughter, and love them both. I have ordered another "tall oldie" Challenger, and am trying to do some research on other very tall ones.

Comments (15)

• grass_lover
    12 years ago

I planted Sears Tower in 2010 and it bloomed that year at about 2 or 3 feet. Last year it was about eye high (I'm about 5 foot 3), and it was neat to be able to look straight ahead and see the flowers. - Didn't have any trouble with the wind bothering the scapes, but it's planted probably a couple of feet from the house so it has a little protection.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

The tallest one I grow is Island Time at 67 inches. That is about right for the height too.) It is in front of the blue berry bushes, and I have had no trouble with it falling over.
    My problem is (stupidity, I know) that I often am looking at all the regular height blooms, and overlook Island time blooming away.

Maybe I will do better this year.
    kay

• ontnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll have to look up 'Island Time', kay. I'm not familiar with that one.
    Glad to hear that Sears Tower grows well for you, "grasslover".

• ontnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I see Marietta Gardens (NC) has 'Island Time' for $75. Know I won't be getting that one! It looks lovely though.

• floota
    12 years ago

Jim Murphy's plants should do well for you and he has a number of taller ones. Also you might want to look at Dan Bachman's site, Valley of the Daylilies.

I'll post a link to Jim Murphy and Margo Reed's garden below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodhenge Gardens

• berrytea4me
    12 years ago

I love talls and am breeding for them.

I grow 'Sear's Tower' and 'Notify Ground Crew'. Both have sturdy scapes. Of the 2, NGC grows tallest for me. It has taken about 4 years for both of them to get their stride. We have perpetual drought here so neither gets close to their registered heights.

My 'Challenger' bloomed first time last year. Height & branching are fabulous.

Also look into 'Volcan Fuego' by Mahieu. It is a late blooming bud builder and reaches nice height for me plus has as many as 50 buds per scape which is unheard of in this climate.

'Persian Pattern' is another one that grows far taller than registered. This past season it was in the >50" range for me. It was actually taller for me this year than 'Sears Tower'.

'Elmore James' is a great tall purple with strong scapes. I didn't measure but I'd guess it was in the 48-50" range for me last year.

Lambertson's 'Do The Twist' is another that looks like it is going to be a tall grower.

• ontnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Murphy and Reed hybrids are carried by a number of Canadian daylily gardens, so I will look into those. May have to wait until the price comes down, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. Some of the others mentioned I will have to look for up here.
    Thanks for all the feedback.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi Ontnative,

I have a penchant for tall daylilies, the taller the better and have all four of the cultivars you mention above and all grow well here . I also have Autumn Minaret ( which seemed to never stop blooming here till winter hit) I dont stake anything and these all do well on their own . Scape are fat and sturdy. I also grow Elmore James and Do the twist but they dont grow all that tall here for some reason
    I also have Tetrina's Daughter and it grows fairly tall too . Again have never had to stake any of these. I do have a Reed cultivar Scarlett's Web ...grows to around 4 feet tall but it is a leaner so although a pretty plant if you are looking for ones that stand straight up I cant recommend it .

Signet

• ontnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Signet
    I didn't realize you liked the tall ones too. I know that you like the old Lamberts and some of the UFs and Spiders. I have Autumn Minaret and Boutonniere (both Stouts), which I really like, and have recently acquired Statuesque and an altisssima seedling. The latter two haven't bloomed yet for me. I'd like to get some more of the very talls, especially for late summer. Since I can't garden yet, I am trying to do some internet research.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi again Ontnative

Yup ,it's true , I love the old Lamberts and most of my collection is spiders and uf's but I am branching out into bagels now and actually height is the first attribute I look at when I am researching daylilies to add to my gardens . I have very few short plants here and only because when I was starting my daylily collection , I didnt realize that they came taller . LOL ! what a neub! I have to laugh when I think back to those days. Once I discovered tall daylilies that was it . I will go out of my way to get tall ones. That doesnt mean I wont buy a shorter plant it just means if I have a choice , the tall plant will always take precedence.

If you are interested in a trade for some of the ones you mentioned, I would always be up for that .

Signet

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention in my last post . If you are looking at tall plants that are gorgeous , strong scapes and a goodly amount of blooms , check out Vanessa Barth. This was a dark horse for me . I cant remember if I ordered it or got it as a bonus but wow ! Wow! WOW!! This is a plant that I would love to have all over my gardens . The scape is like a tree branch (ok maybe I am exaggerating a little ) but I definitely did a double take when this one first bloomed here . I watched the growth of the scape with total awe as I remember and then the blooms came . What a wonderful wonderful plant .

Signet

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

My favourite over 40 inches is Mystical Elf. It is smaller but it is sooooo cute and it is well branched and budded.

{{gwi:674750}}

• Edward_Kimball
    12 years ago

North Wind Dancer is also over 40 inches. It has beautiful blooms for me, great branching and bud count but I need to use a peony ring to keep it standing.

{{gwi:674753}}

{{gwi:674756}}

• ontnative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gorgeous pictures Edward. I would love to have both Mystical Elf and North Wind Dancer. Maybe some day.
    Signet, I saw Vanessa Barth on the Tranquil Lake site, and it is listed @ 34". Does it grow taller for you? I got impatient waiting for spring and have already ordered several daylilies each from Coral, Nancy, Rural Roots and Nottawasaga. I got some Sobeks, Hubens, and others I have been wanting (mostly "oldies"). Would love to do another trade with you, but don't know if I have many cultivars that are new to you.

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

Hi Ontnative. Yes Vanessa Barth grows on average about 40 inches tall and sometimes a little taller for me. A really lovely plant . I also have North Wind Dancer and it grows well here too.

I too have placed orders at several daylily growers including Coral and Nancy and Joe Hawkins ( he has great spider/ufs) and sends lovely plants out. I highly recommend all three of these sellers to anyone in Canada that is interested . I think Joe sells to the US as well not sure about Coral or Nancy ( not completely sure but a visit to their websites or an email to them would answer that question quickly )

I think I might still have your plant list from the last time we traded ......do you still have mine? I will check it out ( assuming I still have it ) I am sure we can work something out .....I am interested in lots of different dayliies not just new ones. *not sure if I am reading what you wrote correctly If you want , email me privately and we can see what we can work out . Hopefully the bug that was in my email has left . I have installed a gazillion anti virus/malware programs as I was having real problems with emails just disappearing .

Signet

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County