Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Script Warning?

Julia WV (6b)
12 years ago

Anyone else getting a pop-up box notifying that a Script is Unresponsive?

I have Firefox with Ad Blocker and it started happening yesterday. I keep checking the box not to notify me again but it keeps popping up.

I sent a message to GW, but wondering if it is GW or Firefox or my computer?

Julia

Comments (17)

• floota
    12 years ago

Nope, it's not your computer. I also use Firefox with ad blocker and the same thing has been happening. Maddening!

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for answering. Hopefully they fix whatever is causing the issue. So annoying.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Yes, it was maddening. I thought something was wrong with my computer. I installed YesScript on Firefox and blacklisted this URL, and now everything loads at once.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yesscript/

If you add YesScript (and blacklist this site), you should get rid of those annoying messages

• lisa_3
    12 years ago

I'd been having problems with Internet explorer too so I've switched to Google Chrome lately-no problems so far.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

so glad someone else brought this up. I thought it was AOL or my computer. Glad to hear it's GW but sure hope they fix it soon or are at least aware of it.....Maryl

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I'm afraid the problem is with Firefox and certain other browsers, in combination with the javascript on GW. Firefox recommends installing YesScript. I had no problem with Safari. Now, with YesScript, I have no problem with Firefox either.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got a security warning when trying to install YesScript. Did you have that happen? I didn't install it as I was unsure about the security issue.

Does Chrome have Ad Blocker?

I know GW posted a notice at the top of the forum yesterday afternoon regarding the problem and they sent me an email regarding a "work around" till they fix the problem.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Well, I hope GW fixes this because if they leave it to me it won't get fixed. I have very little clue as to how to manipulate software or even what software I have or don't have with AOL. I read what GW had to say about it, and all I can say is I hope they fix it soon because, like electricty, I just want to flick a switch and have the lights come on...... Maryl

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

I don't recall if I got a warning with YesScript. I just know that I researched the issue on Firefox, and Firefox said that if the issue was just with certain websites, YesScript was the route to go.

I'm no techie, but here is what is said about YesScript: "JavaScript is sometimes misused by sites. They can show obtrusive ads or try to limit built in browser functions such as the back button or the right-click menu. Poorly written scripts can also hog your system's resources.

YesScript provides a JavaScript blacklist, letting you specify which sites aren't allowed to run JavaScript. A single click on the status bar icon can put the current site on the blacklist or take it off."

All I know is that after blacklisting GardenWEb on YesScript (takes a few seconds to do), Firefox works fine for this site. Of course, I could also use Safari, which had no downloading problems or messages. Pages were taking up to 10 seconds to load, and I kept getting messages about loading problems.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank goodness they got it fixed!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

Yea!!!!

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is back again. :-(.
    I can't go from one screen to the next without the script warning coming up again. Is anyone else seeing it again?

Julia

• floota
    12 years ago

It appears when using Firefox but not with Chrome. You might try switching to Google Chrome at least until they get it straightened out.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

GardenWeb needs to do something about this. I would not advise the blacklist on YesScript because no one knows what GardenWeb will do. Last time, the YesScript blacklist worked; then GardenWeb changed things, and the blacklist prevented loading. Who knows what GardenWeb has done now!

• Ed
    12 years ago

No problems using Chrome. I'll knock on wood though!
    Ed

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

I have problems on Internet Explorer. Sometimes it just freezes up and there is nothing I can do. Yesterday during the day, I could not get on here at all because of the freezing and then last night it all worked smoothly again.