Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Help ID this daylily

brit5467
11 years ago

GO TO NEXT POST FOR TEXT.
Had problem with text running into left margin...??

{{gwi:675698}}

{{gwi:675699}}

This post was edited by brit5467 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:20

Comments (15)

• brit5467
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, don't know why my text ran over in right margin so will attempt to post it again.

These pics are from last year. I'm guessing the plant came from QVC because that is the only place I've bought daylilies from so far. I have the brochures with names and pics....but none of them look like this.

The pics are pretty true in color, but just for clarity, I remember it being more red-ish burgundy versus deep pinkish. It's approx. 2 1/2 to 3 ft. tall and this is either the first or second yr. bloom.

If this is of any help -- judging by the height, I'm pretty sure it came with a combo set that also included Frans Hals (which it has a similar bloom structure to), Tuscawille Tigress, and South Seas (which I didn't get - ended up getting extra T.Tigress instead). They were from Roberta's (via QVC) and the combo was called Enormous Reblooming Daylilies.

(BTW - I DID mark them with permanent markers on plant stakes from ACE but they faded so I have no idea what is planted where :(

OH...and PS - can't for the life of me remember the name of the pink flowers in background. Come up early, spread like wildfire, also come in white? Anyone know?

Thanks for any help!
    Bonnie

This post was edited by brit5467 on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:33

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

I can tell you that the pink flowers look like Texas Primrose, which is enormously invasive and I am fighting to rid myself of it now.

They come up everywhere in Alabama, along roadsides etc. I have seen them for sale in Lowe's for $7, and laughed because they are so invasive.

Not sure on your daylily, except that it isn't (as you already knew) Frans Hals.

It is pretty, though. I love the hot ones.

And by the way, Welcome to the forum.
    kay

• brit5467
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kay! That's it -- Primerose !! But I remember it being called Evening Primrose.

And YES....very invasive. Or in my case, I just call it prolific...lol. One quart pot at one end of my garden ended up reseeding the front of entire garden left to right. But in my case, I don't mind because I like the early blooms and it doesn't seem to get in the way of anything else growing.

Do you find any particular problems with it, other than just taking over? I'm wondering, since I've only had it for a few years.

Bonnie

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Bonnie, I agree it is very pretty, but here was a pic of it last yer where it had escaped and wrapped itself around roses and daylilies. I am still fighting it. the taking over is what I don't like.

kay

• brit5467
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm....Kay, ur pic didn't post???

And when u say it "wrapped around"...well, I'm wonderin if we're talkin about same plant??? Because my flowers are too short to wrap and they die off early summer, I think. I'll try to find a better pic of mine to post.

Edit: I googled and figured it out. Although the blooms look the same there are actually 2 different types. And the kind I think you're talking about have different foliage which possibly that's what you're talking about doing the wrapping around.
    Bonnie

This post was edited by brit5467 on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 1:01

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

My guess would be Crimson pirate. It was available through tissue culture very early on and could be part of a collection like that. I had it as an unknown in my garden for about 15 years until I figured out what it was. It came from a large grocery store with a white that is probably Joan Senior and a peachy pink that is probably Fairytale Pink . Google some images of it and see what you think.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG Swontgirl!!! You nailed it!! In fact I found 1 pic on Dave's Garden that looked like it could have been mine...right down to the position of the stamens!! :)

Is it considered unusual or special or anything like that? I only ask because I went to a daylily auction site and looked through most everything on there and never saw anything like it. I think it's so pretty.

Thanks so much again!
    Bonnie

• swontgirl_z5a
    11 years ago

Glad to help,
    Crimson Pirate is just an old variety that was very well distributed early on probably through tissue culture. It is very reliable and hardy here and a good performer. People must have liked it with how much commercial success it had. I can't remember when I bought those first three daylilies at the grocery store- maybe 20 years ago- but I had them for many years before I got into this seriously.
    Enjoy-Sometimes the oldies are goodies!

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

Your pink plant is pink primrose (oenothera). It looks pretty and sweet until it spreads everywhere and there is no uncovered ground anywhere! I made that mistake and it has been hard to get rid of. Maybe you could plant it in an open bottom pot so it can't spread.

• blue23rose
    11 years ago

Took me two years to finally get all the Mexican Evening Primrose out of my garden. It was so beautiful but I did not want something as invasive as this! Thankfully it was not hard to pull up.

Glad you found the name of your daylily.

Vickie

• brit5467
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the 'primrose' ID. But wondering...other than the fact that it spreads...is there something 'negative' to that spreading? I mean, what is it exactly that people don't like about it taking over? Does it choke out other plants or is it just the looks of it?

I know 'to each his own' as my Daddy used to say and totally respect that. I'm just trying to understand in case I need to get on top of it because so far I've had mine about 3 to 4 yrs and don't seem to mind it. But maybe mine just hasn't gotten as out of control as others....??

It blooms before most everything else so I have a beautiful blanket of pink. Then it dies back and look ratty so I cut 'em down or pull 'em out wherever you can see the dead stuff. And that pretty much takes care of it until the next year.

Any and all thoughts and opinions welcome !!! I'm here to learn.

Thanks all!!
    Bonnie

• random_harvest
    10 years ago

Here in Texas, this primrose was part of the roadside plantings of wildflowers that included our famous bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush. I've noticed over the years that where the primrose thrived, the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush died out.

Just sayin'.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Random Harvest! Yano, I watched an amazing program on NOVA Wed nite (PBS) about how "human" plants actually are. They did a lot of time elapsed photography of how their root systems develop and experiments on how they produce chemical scents to fend off predator insects and attract 'good' ones. And lots of other interesting experiments.

Basically, they were trying to 'prove' that plants DO have some sort of "brain" and how they behave just like animals in terms of seeking out food, having an ability to defend themselves, etc.

Anyway, one plant did exactly what you're saying. It was out in the prarie, where they raise cattle that graze on prarie grass. And there was this one plant that was not native (forgot name or where it came from but had been brought here, from Europe, I think...). And it had become so invasive that it was killing off the prarie grass.

It wasn't that the root system choked out the grass. It has something to do with chemicals that it puts off underground that actually killed the surrounding grasses.

And what was more interesting was, when they introduced another native wildflower, the new plant helped counteract that 'bad' chemical. It was an amazing show !!!

Anyway, like you...."just sayin..." (lol), it was VERY interesting to learn how plants can defend themselves as to be the superior suvivor of an area.

Gives me a different outlook on my 'pretty pink flowers'...hmmmm.

Bonnie

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Well, down here in Texas we call it Pink Evening Primrose. I loved it and in the spring the combination of bluebonnets, pink evening primrose and dandelions were breathtaking -- like an Impressionist painting. Eventually the primrose faded away and certainly never had any negative effect on my bluebonnets. The bluebonnets did get the upper hand, even in our new daylily seedling bed. I never thought I'd see the day I'd be pulling up bluebonnets but they really took over and we thought we had lost all our seedlings.

With the help of some wonderful friends, we finally got all the bluebonnets and other weeds out of the seedling bed and were able to see that we had not lost the seedlings after all. So, I guess it depends upon soil, etc. I hated to see the primrose dwindle away.

Nancy

• brit5467
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, that's what my plant was called !! And glad to finally find someone who loves it like me....lol.

Hadda Google the Bluebonnet. Wow....sooo pretty, and your State flower, I see. Seems there must be lots of the primrose in Texas, from the replies I've gotten.

All I know is, the root system of the Primrose seems to be sooo shallow that it's not something that I can't stay on top of, need be. For me, it just seems to be a matter of it re-seeding abd so far it's managable in my smaller garden. Thanks for the reply!!

Bonnie

Sponsored
ABC Glass and Mirror
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Northern Virginia Leading Shower Glass and Mirror Designer